PDA

View Full Version : Photo request thread.... your ancestors UK village

jaytee
11-23-2006, 04:06 PM
I've just had a thought....... we have keen digital photographers all over the UK here on the forum...... and lots of overseas cousins who have ancestral roots here and who would love to see where their parents/ grandparents etc came from.

I recently took a Batch in Hook Norton in Oxfordshire for Wind Song :)

So let's start a request list here........... you just never know who may be passing through YOUR special place....... or when :)

Looking forward to some good days out - and fun photography sessions :)

Europa
11-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Jaytee - what a great idea - and maybe our 'cousins' overseas can return the favour for those of us who maybe had family emigrate.

Oooh this should be good - well done that woman!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat :thumbsup:

JustjoGA
11-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, I've been told that one of my GG Grandfathers emigrated from
County Carlow, Ireland ... Will that do for a start... I think his name
may have been either Pendergraft, Pendergrass or Yeats.

JustJo

Wind Song
11-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Jaytee,
What a fabulous idea!!
Sharon

jaytee
11-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Glad you think its a good idea :)

Jo... you need to narow that down a bit.....!!

I think we need the county and the name of a particular village ;)

Europa
11-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Hope you don't mind Jaytee - have extended your wonderful idea into a new thread for those of us in the UK who have ancestors who emigrated - am hoping I may get some pics of actual houses or buildings :thumbsup:

Pat

ameliajordan
11-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Janet, this is a great idea!!!! I'll get back after I look up the towns in my database. Good to do both ways, Pat!

jaytee
11-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Hope you don't mind Jaytee - have extended your wonderful idea into a new thread for those of us in the UK who have ancestors who emigrated - am hoping I may get some pics of actual houses or buildings :thumbsup:

Pat

Pat great idea.... I think we may also need threads to and from Europe !!! But maybe not right now :)

Do you think it would be worth having a sticky list giving country, town/village and WC member ........listed under continents then countries ??

JustjoGA
11-23-2006, 09:41 PM
OK, JayTee... Carlow is all the info I ever heard about ... and
have nothing to document it ... even a correct last name.

Hoping someone else will have better luck!

JustJo

ameliajordan
11-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Here are some of my UK forbearers and where they lived.

John Earl my great grandfather lived in Banbury, Oxfordshire until he emigrated to Illinois in 1846. His parents and grandparents lived in Welton, Northhamptonshire. I understand there were wonderful cottages in Welton that were destroyed illegally in the 1950s for development.

John Hopping was baptized in 1647 in East Budleigh, England and emigrated to Long Island. His parents, Charles and Elizabeth Hopping lived in Exeter, Devonshire.

Henry Mann was an appretice cabinet maker in London in 1762 but I don't know where in London he lived. By 1772 he lived near Yorktown, Virginia

Richard Littlepage lived in Kent before he came to Virginia in the early 1600s but I don't know the village. He was a servitor in 1589. He emigrated to New Kent County Virginia. (Littlepage is an unusal name and the family had it as early as 1413 in the Close rolls of Henry V. It is thought the family was in Wales, Scotlland, and Ireland and came to Kent during the reign of Janes I.)

The other names I have I don't know where they lived in the UK before they came to America.

Europa
11-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Amelia - do you have the names of John Earls parents and grandparents only I have access to the 1841 census - this is what I found when I put in Earl living in Welton Northhamptonshire. Do any of these ring a bell or have you got this information already??

Last First
Name Name Sex Age Birth County Place Parish

EARL CLARA F 5 OUT OF COUNTY WELTON WELTON

EARL ELIZTH F 70 NORTHAMPTONSHIRE WELTON WELTON

EARL JANE F 70 NORTHAMPTONSHIRE WELTON WELTON

EARL JOSPH M 70 NORTHAMPTONSHIRE WELTON WELTON

EARL MARY F 40 NORTHAMPTONSHIRE WELTON WELTON

EARL SUSHANNAH F 65 NORTHAMPTONSHIRE WELTON WELTON

EARL THOS M 75 NORTHAMPTONSHIRE WELTON WELTON

EARL WM M 1 NORTHAMPTONSHIRE WELTON WELTON

Pat

mr sandbanx
11-23-2006, 10:32 PM
John Earl my great grandfather lived in Banbury, Oxfordshire.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cool

mr sandbanx
11-23-2006, 10:45 PM
My Earle's are from Northleach, Gloucestershire since 1795, prior to that: Temple Guiting and Lower Slaughter. (All of those places near Cirencester). Andy Lavallee has taken photos for me at Northleach as has our Stephie.

Some of the family moved to Cirencester, (Cricklade ward), others went to Wales: Glamorgan County and Cardiff.

MaternalGrandparents (Mercer) were from Pewsey in Wiltshire.

My Great Grandmother (Dance) was born in Bridgend, Brecon Dinas in Wales

ameliajordan
11-24-2006, 01:19 PM
And to make it worse Chris at some point they dropped the final "e" :eek: I guess I didn't tell you that Earl was my maiden name :D

Pat, what I have is:
Edward Earl born about 1810 in Welton, Northamptonshire was married to Eliza Holmes. Their children were John Henry and Emily (Emma). Edward was a boot manufactuer in the 1851 English census and in the 1860 Illinois census he had a dry goods store and $10,000 in land. Samuel Earl, maybe his brother, was shoe factor in England (a middleman) and also came to Illinois at the same time.

The daughter was listed as Emilie in the 1851 census and as Emma on the ship manifest. The son, John Henry, was 5 when they came to the US. He had an uncle who was a minister. John put all his money in Galveston, Texas real estate and was whiped out by the hurricane in 1900. His Irish wife, Mary Kean, died in the Great Flu Epidemic in 1918.

Pat, wish I had information that connected to the 1841 census but I don't. I do know the family had lived in Welton for several generations before the 1851 census.

mr sandbanx
11-24-2006, 04:47 PM
And to make it worse Chris at some point they dropped the final "e" :eek:

You Yankees and your vowels… sheeeeeeeesh or (shesh)

Yorky
11-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Remember you can get photos of many UK villages and towns from the Geograph (http://www.geograph.org.uk) site which aims to have photographs of every square km of Britain.

There are several photos of Welton, Northamptonshire there.

Doug

mr sandbanx
11-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanx Doug.

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk has great images of listed buildings all over the country, including my office!!!

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/search/details.aspx?pid=1&id=130727

ameliajordan
11-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Who you calling a Yankee??????? I declare I've never been so insulted in my life :)

mr sandbanx
11-24-2006, 07:50 PM
How come there are two ee's in 'Yankee' ? That is so out of character for you folks.

Starsprite
11-24-2006, 08:06 PM
How come there are two ee's in 'Yankee' ? That is so out of character for you folks.

I cant believe I am explaining this to you Banxy! Me!! Of all people! Anyway, not all Americans are Yankees. Yankees are from the northern states, the Union, Rebels the southern states, the Confederate states in the Civil War. That's why she was inflamed at being called a Yankee. :lol:

mr sandbanx
11-24-2006, 08:09 PM
You guys have a war? Who's winning?

Lots of people are in flames here today!

mr sandbanx
11-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Who you calling a Yankee??????? I declare I've never been so insulted in my life :)

I make it a point to ALWAYS aplogize to anyone has their own crocodile.

Yorky
11-25-2006, 03:28 AM
Thanx Doug.

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk has great images of listed buildings all over the country, including my office!!!

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/search/details.aspx?pid=1&id=130727

Cool - I see you have offices all around the country :D

Doug

footman
11-25-2006, 04:19 AM
I'm only about 20 miles from Welton, Amelia! Let me know if you have any special requests for photographs, and I'll do my best. Not promising to get there immediately, but (apart from Christmas looming with not a thing done about it yet) life should be a little quieter round here for the next few weeks.

Kate

Europa
11-25-2006, 05:33 AM
Amelia - I didn't find an Edward Earl in Welton in 1841 but I did find one living in Banbury who was a shoemaker.

His age was 30 which fits in with him being born in 1810 - his wife's name is down as Eliza - it also says that he wasn't born in Banbury which also fits with him having been born in Welton.

These are the members of the household - which is 120 Market Place Banbury.....

Edward - 30

Eliza - 25

Samuel - 9

Joseph - 7

Edwin - 5

Elizabeth - 4

James - 2

E ???? - 1 mnth (couldn't read this name)

Caroline Adams - 15 Fs

Elizabeth Earl - 20 Fs

Fs means they were a female servant (ooh posh eh.....lol)

If John Henry was 5 when they emigrated in 1846 this would mean that he hadn't been born when this census was taken - however the youngest was only 1mnth old - so if this is the case - well by eck he didn't waste much time having another child.....LOL.

I think we are getting somewhere - do you?? :thumbsup:

jaytee
11-25-2006, 06:23 AM
Amelia...... I return to the dentists in Banbury on december 15th :) If these are yours I will try track down the actual house for you :)

ameliajordan
11-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Pat and Janet, this is very cool - I'll talk to my brother this morning and let you know.

Chris I hope you know I was teasing with an exaggerated southern accent but maybe not because the southern phrase "I've never been so insulted in my life" is probably not known everwhere as a joke. Though in years past I have some yankee roots it is a word I've never been called :) As a matter of fact, Florida is not a southern state - too many yankees here :D

ameliajordan
11-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Janet it would be fantastic if you can take a picture. I talked to my brother and this is our family. From some Banbury record my brother knew Edward lived on Market Place but it didn't list his address as 120.

Pat, what we didn't have was the name of all the children and their ages. Evidently they moved to Banbury from Weldon in 1830. Eliza sure was busy having children!!!!! 25 with a 9 year old son - wow!!! She was born in the town of Northhampton but we don't know her maiden name.

The person listed in the household as a servant, Elizabeth Earl, was a cousin. Both servants went to America with the family and promptly ran away and got married :) It doesn't sound very nice to list your cousin as a servant.

I hope 120 Market Place is still there and you get a photo, Jaytee!!!

ameliajordan
11-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Kate, thanks - if we find out where in Weldon they were from I'll let you know.

Europa
11-25-2006, 12:06 PM
. Eliza sure was busy having children!!!!! 25 with a 9 year old son - wow!!! She was born in the town of Northhampton but we don't know her maiden name.

I thought you said earlier her surname was Holmes - although i can't find any record of a marriage between Edward Earl and Eliza Holmes - though I have found one for Edward Earl and Eliza Dowley on 23rd April 1830

Pat

ameliajordan
11-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Pat, yes I did but I don't know why - scary senior moment :eek: There are lots of Holmes in the family but they didn't marry the Earls until my grandmother and grandfather married in 1911 in Chicago.

1830 is about the right year - was the wedding in Northhampton. It's possible she wasn't married in her home parish, of course.

Yet another way records show how unimportant women were/are is that they are listed only by their husband's name - grrr

Europa
11-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Am afraid it doesn't say where they were married - it was in the Marriage Licence Allegations Index - Vicar-General 1694-1850 - and it just gives you the date and the last names - in order to get more details it has to be ordered and paid for.

All I can do is see if I can find any parish records.

Pat

hopefulbucky
11-26-2006, 04:29 PM
I would love it if anyone could get photos sometime from St. Ives, Cornwall. My grandpa on my mom's side was born there Feb. 10, 1879. Any info Pat that you could gather Pat would be great, going back, I have some.

Yorky
11-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Judy, there are numerous St Ives in Britain.

I just searched Geograph (www.geograph.org.uk) and found several photographs.

Doug

Europa
11-26-2006, 05:05 PM
I would love it if anyone could get photos sometime from St. Ives, Cornwall. My grandpa on my mom's side was born there Feb. 10, 1879. Any info Pat that you could gather Pat would be great, going back, I have some.

If you could give me his name that would be a start.......lol.......and also anything else you may have on him - like occupation -- kids -- spouse name etc.

Pat

AndreaPaints
11-26-2006, 06:16 PM
My great-grandfather was Tobias Hazel. The last name may have been spelled Hasell, Hasel or some such. He was born October 15, 1841. I believe he was born in Cheshire, but it may have been that his father was the one born in Cheshire. We think "Tobias" was also a last name in his family. They came to America and settled in Florida. Eventually, Tobias made his way to Charleston, South Carolina. There was a piece of heirs property in Cheshire that came available in the 1940's. My grandfather was contacted by someone in England about the property, as he was an heir. He did not pursue the inquiry about the property because his father, Tobias Hazel, married his mother, a woman of color, Anna Hoats (she was half white, half "mulatto"), and thus my grandfather was considered to be a black man living in Southern USA - not a good thing to be in the 1940's.

AndreaPaints
11-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Here's a photo of my great-grandfather Tobias Hazel with his daughter, my great Aunt Victoria.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2006/13878-Tobias_Hazel.jpg

Europa
11-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Sorry Andrea - I can find no record of a Tobias Hazel (or any variation of the surname) in the 1841 - 1861 or 1871 census.

When did he emigrate to USA?
Did he marry Anna Hoats in the USA?
What was his father (your great great grandfather) name?
What were his children's names - including Victoria in the photo?

If you can give me more information that would be good.

Pat

AndreaPaints
11-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Tobias Hazel did marry Anna Hoats in the US - South Carolina, and his children were all born in Charleston, SC. I don't have Tobias' father's name - but I will look through local death records, as sometime they list parents of the deceased. Thanks anyway - I appreciate you looking!

jaytee
11-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Judy, there are numerous St Ives in Britain.

Doug

but presumably not in Cornwall Doug ?? ;)

Europa
11-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Tobias Hazel did marry Anna Hoats in the US - South Carolina, and his children were all born in Charleston, SC. I don't have Tobias' father's name - but I will look through local death records, as sometime they list parents of the deceased. Thanks anyway - I appreciate you looking!

If you can give me the year when he actually emigrated then I can narrow the search down .

Jaytee - I thought that too......lol.

Pat

AndreaPaints
11-26-2006, 07:37 PM
I don't know the year he came to the US - Let me check here a little more for now.

Yorky
11-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Oops Judy - I thought the link I gave wa to St. Ives. Cornwall here it is again: (http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=639088)

Doug

mebo
11-27-2006, 03:00 PM
I have two requests for anybody who cares to fulfill them: Crosby-Ravenworth (I have a picture of the church and cemetary, but I'd love to have a picture of the old family home of "Bland") I'd also love to have some street views of the area of Bedford where the lace makers were operating around 1875. Thank you!

maltman
01-01-2007, 08:13 PM
my Great Grandfather died at Seizer (?) Castle...he was the head groom....any photos?

HarvestMoon
01-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Jaytee- my good friend whom I visited a lot years ago lived in Winchester- and all my photos were in slide form that I can't really see (projector broke) so I would love some photos of that wonderful town if you get a chance (she has moved).
take care,
Linda

lyn lynch
01-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Fun project here. Can a non-UK'er join?

My family is new to the US so according to the internet many members still live in the same regions. I have no actual addresses but would love to have pics of the areas for my geneology book.

San Giacomo, Trenton, Italy (a mountain top town where, my dad says, the old man was such a hellion that the entire town chipped in to buy him a ticket to the USA; and,

Pressburg (Bratislava), Hungry.

gemineye
01-20-2007, 11:53 PM
What a great idea! I'm gonna do a little asking around and see if I can find out where my ancestors are from. Way cool!!!!

Johnnie
01-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi all

My grandparents of my mothers side was from Durness area in North Scotland..

Fathers side was from southwest Scotland Locharbriggs area.

My grandfather was PM of the Black Watch Pipe band in Montreal in the early 1900's.

Interesting stories on here. Sorry I dont have too many .. They all died when I was young. Only thing that really sticks is remember my grandfather playing the pipes and grandma screaming at him all the time.. lol. My wife does too... lol

No photos .. sorry..
Great Thread

Johnnie

Yorky
01-22-2007, 02:40 AM
Check out Geograph (http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=763661) Johnnie, there are photos there of most places in the UK. Plenty of Durness.

Doug

Lulu
01-22-2007, 02:52 AM
My father's family came from Saffron Walden...........any photos of the area would be greatly appreciated.

Yorky
01-22-2007, 03:01 AM
There you go Lulu (Geograph). (http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=763677)

Doug

Lulu
01-22-2007, 03:11 AM
Doug, you are a darling!!!! thank you so much! ((()))