PDA

View Full Version : Traditional holiday meals

CM Neidhofer
11-22-2006, 02:38 PM
I was reading Deborah's message about wild turkeys and Christmas Eve meals. Thought it might be fun to see what traditions everyone has regarding holiday meals. Turkey for Thanksgiving for us, of course. Christmas Eve stromboli has become a tradition with my family. I was trying to find something easy, to feed a few extra people with one year and came across a stromboli recipe that was easy and VERY tasty. My boys loved it and it has become a must for Christmas Eve. Not fond of ham, so usually a pork roast for Christmas, along with mashed taters and maybe some sauer kraut....yum!!! lol What does everyone else do for holiday meals??? :)

Christine

scall0way
11-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Well my tradition for quite a few years has been to have a Christmas brunch! I don't do a traditional "dinner" on Christmas. Instead the meal is things like quiche, sausages, fruit salad, quick breads, roasted veggies. I have a lot more fun with that than with a traditional meal. I usually have my sister and her husband and kids over, and my son and his wife, and his wife's parents and sister. The trouble is that my house is too small to accomodate that many people! :eek: So seating can be creative :lol:

nana b
11-22-2006, 07:30 PM
It's turkey, dressing, giblet gravy, ham, candied yams, baked beans, deviled eggs, cranberries, hot bread and to top that off it's pumpkin pie, pecan pie, layered chocolate desert. Yummy!

nana b

chewie
11-22-2006, 08:26 PM
can i come to your houses?!! wow!

we were going to go out to a big buffet, but my youngest has come down with stomach flu, so guess i'm throwing on a turkey! i found a real small one at the store this morning. we really don't have any family here, and can't go so far away to get to the family a state away. the usual fare of turkey, green bean casserole, dressing, and the one thing that exclusive to ours is 'pink stuff' this concoction of jello, cherries, almonds and unbelievably, sour cream! mix and chill, and its to die for! it has some fancy name, but ever since i was small it was 'pink stuff'. not big on the funny tator dishes, and only like real cranberry relish, not that canned jelly junk! not sure if i'll make pie, for just us 4. i'm kinda bummed, holidays are hard for me cuz i can't be with the big crowd i have 'back home' in iowa.

David Patterson
11-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Young turkey breast, Yams w/marshmellows, mashed potatos w/turkey gravy, a chilled rice-a-roni salad (that is made with Chicken R-a-R, green olives/mayo/green onions and marinated artichoke hearts), crab cocktail salad (made with lemon jello, cocktail sauce, celery, and crab meat or shrimp), rolls, dressing, whole cranberry sauce,apple pie, pumpkin pie, and a couple of bottles of chardonnay.

I do 90% of our cooking - but my wife is also a wonderful cook. I just give her a break from her busy week!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

prettytulips
11-23-2006, 03:31 AM
I grill greek chicken, they're marinading right now.. Garlic mashed potatoes, stuffing with greek oregano (gotta keep the greek thing going), artichokes, ceasar salad, Sautee'd muchrooms, pecan pie and homemade lemon bars.
Lots of wine... So, I like gormet things and tradition too... I try and mix it.

Dot Hoffman
11-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Turkey for Christmas dinner this year, but for Thanksgiving, it's just the two of us, so I'm doing a duck with cherry sauce, wild rice pilaf, green beans, cranberry relish (my grandmother's recipe), and for dessert, crustless pumpkin pie. (I'm counting calories :))

MChesleyJohnson
11-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Alas! No Thanksgiving here today in Canada. However, as my wife and I are both US citizens, we made ourselves a fine turkey dinner! We discovered this year that turkey breast is a more sensible option (for us) than a whole turkey -- neither of us likes dark meat! It's only taken us 10 years of marriage to figure this one out.

PeggyB
11-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Aside from the fact that I'm on to my second round of antibiotics for bronchitis this Thanksgiving, we will still have our 2 sons and their wives and kids (3 total all under 4 years old so not big eaters). Since #1 son and his wife live with us (big house & he's going full time to get a degree in mechanical engineering). He's also a very good cook so with his help we started last night - as usual - by the men roasting and peeling about 5 pounds of fresh chestnuts to the the family tradition of chestnut dressing which consists of chestnuts, cubed potatoes, bacon, and onion all mixed together and stuffed into the turkey - but there's always too much for a small bird so this year I got the small fresh bird plus a whole fresh breast - and still had enough for a 2 qt casserole extra! We also have the usual green bean/mushroom soup casserole, sweet potato pie, mashed potatoes, a mix of Stove Top corn bread & turkey dressings that are "improved" with extra stuff, a green jello/pear/cream cheese salad, fresh cranberry sauce (purchased from the grocery deli this year), rolls, relish tray & dip, apple crisp, pecan pie, ice cream, fresh strawberries (because my oldest granddaughter loves them so Nana always provides them if she can find them), coffee, tea, sparkling cider, and wine. Some is sent home with #2 son's family so we don't end up eating leftovers for a week.

Many years ago, we switched to a brunch on Christmas after presents are opened. A fresh ham is the center of attention on that morning plus many family traditional recipies that include different kinds of home made breads and coffee cakes, a sausage/cheese casserole, a "blintz in a dish" with blueberry sauce, scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, and a special Christmas punch that can be served virgin or with champaign. Our daughter and her husband from Oklahoma City will be with us this year so we are all excited for Christmas to get here.

I should note that every year my husband says, well we coule leave something out, and I ask him what that would be - he says everything but the turkey and chestnut dressing at Thanksgiving, and at Christmas everything but the ham... then I tell him we should see what other family members vote for and needless to say everyone has more than one favorite on each holidy. In reality, none of it is as much work as it would appear because everyone helps with cooking and clean up - well they do excuse me from clean-up on everything but wiping the good china. My husband washes them and I wipe them because the kids have long used the excuse that they don't want to break any of it - LOL - I really don't mind as it goes pretty fast since everyone else does the other dishes that don't fit into the dish washer.

Anyway - Happy Thanksgiving to everyone - even those WC members in countries other than the U.S. I know many of you have holidays similar to Thanksgiving so what do you serve?

Peggy

K Taylor-Green
11-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Slow, Michael, really slow!:D But better than not figuring it out at all!

I like mixing traditional with something new and different. I'll try out new recipes for stuffing, potatoes, lots of different breads and desserts, but always turkey, roasted the traditional way!

Deborah Secor
11-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Just arrived home from the family feast and it came out well, happily! The turkey will be delightful as leftovers for the next couple of days and this year's stuffing worked out better than I expected, considering I made it before my first cup of coffee this morning! I make a sweet stuffing with lots of raisins and apples along with the bread and spices, and I used apple-cherry juice for the liquid this year. I usually use apple juice. I liked it and there's none left of the stuffing that was in the bird, so I guess the others did, too. (I have a batch ready to cook tomorrow for leftovers but it's never as good as that cooked in the turkey--all those luscious--fattening--drippings!)

I just spotted hubby and son having leftover turkey slathered with mayonnaise! It may be gone sooner than I think. :rolleyes:

Michael, we should roast a turkey and split it--my family all like dark meat! :lol: It might be a little inconvenient with you so far off now.

I like your Christmas brunch idea, Peggy. There might come a time when we could do that.

Happy last of the day Thanksgiving to you all! On to Christmas...

Deborah

PeggyB
11-24-2006, 05:58 PM
I like your Christmas brunch idea, Peggy. There might come a time when we could do that.
Deborah

It makes Christmas day much more relaxing because those who want to attend midnight mass on Christmas Eve can sleep in a bit later Christmas morning (now that the "kids" are grown and not clamering at 6AM to see what Santa brought! LOL) Everything but the ham is prepared the day before and ready to go into the oven if necessary Christmas morning. We eat around noon, and then there is time to go visit other relatives and friends - or just curl up with a new book (everyone always gets new books and usually multiple choices).

Peggy