PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Beauty Contest!

adaus
11-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Which is the best looking pastel, soft, oil, or otherwise? Here are many pastels, but there are more.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2006/90926-pastels.JPG

nana b
11-21-2006, 08:21 PM
I will have to say Townsands, both. I think it's the chunk of color. Next it would be Unisons and Mount Visions.

nana b

adaus
11-21-2006, 08:32 PM
I agree with you on the townsends. I also really like the new square shape of the GA's, the wraping the way it is- truely unique. I guess it would be sennelier soft for me though- so classic.

here's some greens-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2006/90926-57497-pastels-size-opt.jpg
Left to right:
Sennelier Jumbo, Le Grande, mount vision, art spectrum, girault?, rembrandt, sennelier, great american artworks, daler rowney, unison, diane townsend, :music: and the rest:music: ?

Paula Ford
11-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Mount Visions because they are plump and cute and feel good to hold, and Giraults because they are slim and long and go on perfectly.

Paula

DAK723
11-21-2006, 11:05 PM
My 25 year old full-size stick grumbachers with the transparent paper wrapping... because they don't make them anymore!!! Anyone else miss those old grumbachers?

Don

AnnieA
11-21-2006, 11:05 PM
I'd have to agree about the Townsends. Nana's right...there's just something about that chunk of pure color. I also think Sennelier oil pastels are quite elegant looking.

But they're all beautiful to me!

I love that graphic of all the different ones. Did you make that yourself, adaus?

adaus
11-21-2006, 11:13 PM
My 25 year old full-size stick grumbachers with the transparent paper wrapping... because they don't make them anymore!!! Anyone else miss those old grumbachers?

Don

I do want to try those, but they quit making them before I became interested in pastels:( :crying: ! Those really do look nice, I saw some on ebay. Maybe they'll make them again someday.

AnnieA- yes, basicaly I just went to dakotapastels, and copied them, it took no time at all really.

DAK723
11-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Grumbacher pastels are now made by prismacolor. They are half sticks and only sold in sets. I bought one for old times sake, but they are softer and crumblier and just not the same. Still used them though and had pretty good results. I loved them because they were square. You could lay down an area quickly with the flat edge or make a thin crisp line. Ah, those were the days!

Don

Goewyn
11-21-2006, 11:42 PM
I just have a thing for the Unisons, how they are nicely tapered on the end and just the right size. Also, the terry ludwigs, when they are in the box they just ooze pure color vibrancy. *drool* :)

-- Linda

bluefish
11-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Don - do you have any/remember the Giralts in the clear plastic sleeve? Grumbacher was a great company back then - the square pastel, which I still have some and the really great HYPAR acrylic paint!....'bluefish'

sundiver
11-22-2006, 04:31 PM

Don

Me! I love the ones I still have.
I think they are what's now called Schminkes, though. Boxes look identical, and I saw a box called Grumbacher Schminke on Ebay.

Kathryn Wilson
11-22-2006, 05:03 PM
I love the Mount Visions - they look like me, kinda pudgy in the middle - :)

adaus
11-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Well thank's for sharing! It seems that most of you like the more chunky, shorter pastels. Maybe if any designers in pastels are reading from any of the companies they'll take this into consideration. Who knows!

thevaliantx
03-25-2015, 12:50 AM
I love the Mount Visions - they look like me, kinda pudgy in the middle - :)

Old thread, I know, but I don't know anybody who would be disappointed if Jesus came back from the dead.

I liked your comment about the Mount Vision pastels being plumped :)

The reason I revived this thread is that I am wondering if anybody has taken a photo that vompares the sizes of the pastel sticks out there, largest to smallest for example.

Has anyone taken a photo comparing the brands and placing them sided by side, ranked by pigment load from highest to lowest?

Surely I can not be the only one out there who is interested in these two factors for shopping purposes?

thevaliantx
03-25-2015, 12:53 AM
Well thank's for sharing! It seems that most of you like the more chunky, shorter pastels. Maybe if any designers in pastels are reading from any of the companies they'll take this into consideration. Who knows!

I for one do not want the shorter sticks and pieces of pastel. When I am painting the last thing I want to be concerned about is running out of color or figuring out how to manipulate a chunk with a pair of tweezers :)

Paula Ford
03-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Go here http://www.dakotapastels.com/pages/index-softpastels.aspx

and you will see the different sizes of lots of pastels, and earlier in this thread there are lots of pictures.