PDA

View Full Version : Turban

Sonia
11-21-2006, 05:06 PM
At our recent art society meeting we were fortunate to have an Indian gentleman as a model. I got lost trying to sketch the whole figure, so decided to attempt just head and shoulders. This is pencil and gouache - as usual, I end up using the gouache like watercolour - can't get out of the habit!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2006/17097-Indian_gentleman_email.jpg

Richard Saylor
11-23-2006, 03:21 AM
Very nice sketch! By the way, there's nothing wrong with using gouache like watercolor, or watercolor like gouache. The versatility of waterpaint accounts for much of its appeal.

Richard

Sonia
11-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks, Richard. I suppose I started using gouache in an attempt to get bolder in my work, but old habits are hard to kick!

artbyjune
11-27-2006, 01:34 PM
You are fortunate to have a sitter!! Especially such an exotic one. Beautiful turban. I love your style and colours chosen, Sonia.

JamieWG
11-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Sonia, the wash capability of gouache is one of its greatest attributes! ;) You may want to try just placing some thicker highlights as you're nearing the end.
'Love your life sketch. How large is it, and how long was the pose?

Jamie

Sonia
12-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks June and Jamie.

Size of the image is approx 6" x 9". The pose was for a total of about 1 hour 30 minutes - I did attempt a couple of full length studies in pencil, but they were unsuccessful, so I opted for just head and shoulders.

Jamie, I will try and remember that tip about adding thicker highlights towards the end of a gouache painting.