PDA

View Full Version : cutting ampersand clayboard?

Crias
11-20-2006, 01:23 PM
I am starting a piece that I want to be square when it is done. I don't have any square pieces. I was wondering what the best way to cut clayboard was? I always buy the precoated black ones, so am afraid it is going to totally destroy the edge ink. Anyone have experience or ideas on how to cut it without ripping up the edges?

Thanks in advance...

Bertoni
11-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Cathy:
I hope someone replies with a good way of doing it. I've been looking too for the best way!!

Obedec
11-20-2006, 11:01 PM
I actually took a 5x7 piece to my local gallery to see if they could cut it. According to the Ampersand site, you can. They did it with minimal damage on the cut edge, but they did say they did not want to make this something they would do all the time. I forget what they used, but it was not easy, and it was some sort of framer's saw. I was going to try one with a dremel or with a fine blade...I might also send it down to my brother in law who does machining for airplane parts...surely a diamond metal cutter would work.

I believe you can also contact ampersand for special cut boards...that might be the easiest.
Karen

Diana Lee
11-21-2006, 03:03 PM
This is one of the advantages to using Essdee Scraperboard (professional quality). You can easily cut it to any size and shape. The problem with using it with any liquid coloring medium is that Essdee is water soluable making it almost impossible to add color to their black coated board. However you can get their white board and blacken it your self with scratchboard inks. If you do not intend to color it the black coated board works fine. I actually prefer the Essdee for black and white work.

Diana

Bertoni
11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm going to experiment cutting Claybord with a fine saw blade. Then a slightly ragged edge might not be a problem because it would be hidden by a mat if it's framed with glass or by the frame where the Claybord is inserted.
What do you think? It seems to make sense?? I'll see!

brushandknife
11-22-2006, 09:28 AM
That seems like it would work for me too, Bertoni. I've also wondered about doing this. Let us know how it goes.
Carol

Trilby
11-27-2006, 12:08 AM
I too have been curious about cutting anpersand boards, however, I've found matting it to the shape and size desired works just fine for the most part. "...as an Elephant's Eye" is 5x9 but worked on a damaged 8x10 board with the damaged side hidden under a mat.
TJ

Garbonzo
12-02-2006, 09:11 PM
I don't know anything about the good scratchboard but if masking tape doesn't peel the black coating off you might put a strip of it along the edge you plan to cut. Use a razor blade knife to cut along the edge of the tape to score the board then try to saw the board with a small saw. Remove the tape after the board is cut and it should preserve the edge. Use 2 pieces of tape and cut in between them if you are trying to preserve both pieces of board. I don't know if I explained that very well but it might work. It keeps very fine, thin layers of wood from splintering when sawing. I'm new here so I don't know anything about good scratchboard.

Obedec
12-02-2006, 10:20 PM
You may not know anything about good clayboard, but good sense is good sense...I wish I'd read your message this morning, I just met a woodworker at a show that might be able to cut some for me. I got his e-mail address. We might have something going here. Brilliant Idea, Harold.
Karen

Garbonzo
12-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks Karen. I thought it was worth mentioning. Hope it helps.

Trilby
12-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Charles Ewing cuts his with a band saw, a jig saw would work as well.
TJ

wyncia
12-15-2013, 03:37 PM
I cut it with a craft knife, before it has art work on it. Wyncia

Crias
12-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Wow this is REALLY an old thread (2006)!! Lol... I use a band saw now-a-days!

Garbonzo
12-16-2013, 10:18 AM
I put painters tape on both sides, draw my cut line and use a flushcut handsaw. They have fine teeth, make a smooth quick cut. Clamp a straightedge along your cut line if you worry about getting off line. sand the edge and you are ready to get to work. ;) if you dont have access to a bandsaw.

ggart4u
12-16-2013, 01:06 PM
I also have my hubby use painter's tape. It messed up on the edges without it.

Hoosier Fred
06-22-2017, 04:42 PM
I'm going to experiment cutting Claybord with a fine saw blade. Then a slightly ragged edge might not be a problem because it would be hidden by a mat if it's framed with glass or by the frame where the Claybord is inserted.
What do you think? It seems to make sense?? I'll see!

I use a carpenter's square and a utility knife, hold the square "square" to the board, and make several cuts with the utility knife until it is cut through, then use a fine grit sandpaper to smooth the edge. Repeat for any other cuts to make to get your required dimensions. Piece of cake!

- Hoosier Fred

Foxyheart2002
06-23-2017, 01:23 AM
My husband cuts mine with a table saw, very fine teeth. We don't use tape or anything and it comes out fine.

SueW16
08-16-2017, 01:11 AM
I use a scrollsaw and it works like a charm. No chipping etc. After I cut I use a mechanical sander to smooth and neaten the edges. There's no reason you can't hand sand the edges either, but I'd suggest laying the paper on the table, face up, and run the board edge along the sandpaper surface....makes for a neat, straight edge.
These cut edges are extremely porous so be sure to seal them well. (you will have to black them also, to cover the raw mason board.)
A hand fine saw would work well also. The small 'D' shaped jewellers or craft piercing saw. It will be essential for the teeth to point DOWN when sawing or you will be likely pull the ink/clay away from the surface.
I hope this helps.
Sue:)

marksmomagain
08-19-2017, 05:05 PM
I cut it all the time. I use a table saw.