PDA

View Full Version : Week 47 Classical Art Journey

Nickel
11-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Week 47 Classical Art Journey

Welcome to another week of travels in your classical forum.:wave:
We hope you will join us!
Any media is welcome to join in.

So where will we go this week and who will we meet?:)

How about London’s National Gallery of Art and Velázquez !!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2006/39040-w041_detail.jpg

Diego Velázquez, 'Infante Felipe Próspero', 1659.
Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna.

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/exhibitions/velazquez/default.htm

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/exhibitions/velazquez/slideshow/default.htm

Hope you have a great week! Make art! Nickel

Granby
11-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Nickel, Hi everyone..

Mony - really good sketch of God last week. Azulparsnip - nice watercolor and liked your comments. One of the things that I find fun about copying/studying another work is you learn things about it that nobody else really knows.

Here is my effort for the week. A grisaille for a painting of Cinderella's dress for my daughter. Its based on a photo of a little porcelain sculpture I found on the web somewhere. Oil on gessoed old cutting board. That chocolate color is a mixture of raw umber and ivory black (Tip picked up from David Rourke our Renaissance guru). I like it so far but in the past I've had really bad success trying to paint pink drapery - hopefully I've learned something since then.

Happy Thanksgiving and have a great week everyone..

Nickel
11-20-2006, 12:34 PM
This is soooooo sweet and I love it! Daughter will love it too!
You did a good job Granby. :)
I mixed up some van dyke brown, ivory black and added some
venetian red to it last night, it made a pretty nice warm pink toned brown.
Used it to tone a wooden palette. Venetian Red is a fav. Pick some up if you don't have any and play with it. Makes awesome pink tinted with white and looks beautiful paired with chrome oxide green as an added color.

Hope everyone has a good week and Happy Thanksgiving! Nickel

tyree
11-20-2006, 04:49 PM
HI NICKEL...HI EVERYONE!!!! YEA...im back....what a grand trip...i had such a wonderful time...each country was an adventure...now i have to go thru 500 photos!!!:eek: will show you some of my better ones eventually....what have i missed???? anything good??? hope everyone has been well....granby...thats such a lovely work..very classic..love it!!!! will work on something this week...but im still unpacking and doing chores..missed you guys!!!! tyree:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Nickel
11-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Susan :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2006/39040-party2.gif

Welcome back!!!!!!:wave:

Good your back home! Sounds like you had a blast! Can't wait to see your pictures! :clap: :clap: :clap: Nickel

Mony G
11-21-2006, 03:27 AM
.... hi again .. Granby what a sweet little Cinderella painting !... a real girlie favourite!

... hi Tyree... welcome back ! can't hardly wait to see some pictures of Ireland!

nickel... I have a doubt... is Venetian red the same as transparent red oxide?

all the best to you !

Mony

Nickel
11-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Mony thanks, I should always think twice before I talk about somethings.
You made me realize I was talking about "mars red" making the pinks from my memory and using chrome oxide green sometime ago. :rolleyes: My mistake.
They are pr101..And I've only had one cup of coffee yet this morning. I think I've been talked into every color made. And basic, indian red leans toward blue, red oxide more orangie brick colored.
I took this pic in two different light sources,don't know which shows better.
top is just brushed out color, middle is right out of the tube, and bottom is a mix with touch of titanium white.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2006/39040-1.jpg

indian red, translucent red oxide, transparent red oxide, venetian red, mars violet deep

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2006/39040-4.jpg

mars violet, venetian red, indian red are opaque.
Opaque----brick wall----no light will pass through.
Translucent----stained glass----soft light will pass through, but details are not clear.
Transparent----glass---just like looking out your window.

Titanium white is opaque, so it effects the translucent and transparent qualitites of a paint. So all I'm trying to say, if you want a paint to stay
transparent, don't mix titanium white with it because it's going to have an effect. Off to get more coffee ;)

tyree
11-21-2006, 04:04 PM
geezzz louise ...its in the forties and fifties today!!! thanks for my welcomes!!! i grocery shopped and cleaned today,sorta,kinda, just shuffled stuff:p ...i think my new years resolution will be oil painting...so...heres your first warning:wink2: cant seem to sit myself down to draw yet..maybe tonight...tyree:D

Nickel
11-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Hey Susan, good you got a new coat!!!!! Brought that cold wet weather back to the States.....????? hehe Heard it might snow down in north Florida. It's cold, wet, windy, nasty weather here too. Not fit for nothing but hiding under the covers.
Santa might bring you some brushes, oils, a few canvas! I can't wait.
I've gotten behind on all my stuff. I'm gonna catch up soon.

azulparsnip
11-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Nice grisalle, Granby. I love them and haven't done one yet:rolleyes:
Hey maybe this week's the week:wink2:

Tyree - off on a trip while I slipped in here eh......can't wait to see your photos........as for cleaning I recall one lady's comment on artcafe that after two years dust stops accumulating:lol: :lol:

I brought the list in the scavenger hunt forum and so am tied up doing sketches this week. But I have been surprised at my improvement. Guess hangin' here has sharpened the perceptions some:thumbsup:

I really got a hankering to " do " the child at the beginning of this thread...... grisalle????

Nickely, thanks for what you do here, I know it takes from your painting time.......

Have a Happy Thanksgiving , ya'll

Granby
11-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi everyone, hi Tyree.. glad you are home safe. Thanks for the kind comments on my Cinderella picture. I've started glazing the pink on and so far no problems at all - turning out great. A while back I wrangled up a great bargain on an authentic tube of flake/lead white. I've been afraid to use it til now because of my amatuer status - I've just been eyeballing it in reverence. I broke it out for the glazing in this painting - wow - it worked great.

Nickel - thanks for posting those red swatches, helped a lot. I always struggle with red.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...

artbyjune
11-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi everyone. And welcome back Tyree. Did you have adventures??

I'm plodding away at my copy of Raphael- 'knight's dream'- and also my copy of Botticelli- 'portrait of girl in brown'- for the Renaissance workshop.

Apart from that, I haven't done much.

I love your Cinderella dress, granby. It will look great in colour. Glazing over grisaille is a lovely method to use, I think.

Alecto
11-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi, first time to post in this forum. I apologize in advance if the answers to my questions are easily obtainable elsewhere in this forum; I did a search and a browse but couldn't quite work out what this Classical Art Journey is, exactly. It appears to me that you're introducing a subject meant to be reproduced in other mediums. I'm not sure what the subject is exactly. Is it the painting of the child, or any painting by Velazquez? (Or, more specifically, any image from the link provided?)

I looked through a bunch of past Classical Art Journeys and I don't see any where the responses appear to be strongly related to the introduced subject. I'd like to participate if this is a weekly "work from this reference and show us what you did" type thread, but I want to make sure that I'm not misunderstanding the intent here. Thanks for any help!

Nickel
11-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi Everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi Alecto! You really get to make this journey what you want.
I'm just a guide, a regular member really.
We sort of teach each other, convers, help, laugh, cry,
Make art. You can do the links or pictures. Do something
that interest you, it will interests us.
Our fourm stops at Impression, means we include Impression styles,in additon
to classical, layered, alla prima, watercolour, ink, sculpture if you want.
We find things that interest us and work on a study, real life,
photo of something, it's a journey, we talk about Old Masters
try a study, do a still life, our choice. Sometimes we try something
someone has introduce us to here that they found. We help each other.
We try to work on improving our art each week. We are friendly.
You are welcome to join us. Do something from a link if you like.
We pretty much make up the rules to suit ourselves, us being the ones
here on the journey. Each week is whatever we make it.
We have an art gallery if you want to look at all we've done.
Each week is different. It's exploring at its best. We learn from each other.
We'd like for you to join us. Share with us what
you will. Any medium is ok. Beginner, pro, inbetween, it's ok.
Come on, join in and have a good time. Sorry it is kind of hard to figure
out what we do, the journey started out as one thing, we've have just made it into what it is now. I know so many threads have this rule or that, we don't as we just share of ourselves. I hope this helps. Nickel

PushingPixels
11-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Happy Thanksgiving All!!! Have been a little under the weather lately but am really enjoying your posts and the beautiful work all are submitting. I do hate to see the year end and loose touch with so many wonderful friends. Do you think we can keep this up another year Nickel? Possibly with a similar theme?

TYREE do you have an Irish accent??? Welcome home.

Granbe I recognised it right away I am such a Disney Classic fan. I have them all. Watched the Jungle Book just the other night. LOL.

Welcome Alecto!! I have found this forum to greatly improve my sketching abilities and there are so many kind and loving people here. Hope you stay awhile. Barb

tyree
11-23-2006, 09:21 PM
i ate soooo much today:( :o :crying: i had to try everything...now i cant even pick up my pencil:p thanks guys for the warm welcome backs, you all are great!!!! barb..hope you dont have the flu bug, but i have a terrific irish coffee recipe for yer self:evil: ....happy turkey day all!!!! be back tomorrow with my work!!! tyree:wink2:

Mony G
11-24-2006, 02:01 AM
Hi everybody again !

No time for drawing in these days as I'm leaving for Northern Tyrol, Austria for a few days ... welcome Alecto! Hope you'll stay with us !

This actually is a bit a "loose" forum... I understand it may not seem linked to anything in particular , but it is fun and I can assure you that I have improved myself a lot , got more confidence in my work and there are a lot of fine friends here too!

I have learnt many things ,found a lot of inspiration and new topics to work upon , often related to the various topics introduced week by week ... it may sem strange if we post the photos of our holidays , cats or dogs.. but it's all part of the journey!

I had the same reflection Pushingpixel's had: I was simply thinking the other day about how sad it will be at the end of the year when this journey will probably end ! I have found so many friends here ! :crying:

will it be possible to continue this journey some how ?

Thanks and bye... be reading you next week ... and get over all the turkey you have eaten!

Nickel
11-24-2006, 10:22 AM
It'd be great to keep together. Do we want to do anything different?
Set goals for next year like this year? Do anything in particular?
I sort of think of this as a liberal education journey. It's a little of everything.
We could certainly do threads to focus on particulars.
There is a world of particulars........we'd have fun.
We could do alot together. ;)
Have a great day. Hope your tummy is better today Susan, lol. And Barb, hope your feeling better! Mony, have a great trip!!!!!!! I'm off to the dentist.
Arrrg...:)

tyree
11-24-2006, 09:13 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2006/65063-ballerinas.jpg Hi All!!!! This weeks submission is from a drawing i started on my trip...the picture is from the all media group in w.c....its a little something different from me...as i usually draw from the masters in our art journey...so this is ...i guess..my own....mech. pencil..in a sketchbook....i think..it would be great to continue Classical Art Journey..hopefully with our terrific host Nickel:clap: :thumbsup: .....tyree

PushingPixels
11-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Charming Tyree, A great one to recognise sisters. I have one baby sister who turned 50 this year. How time flys when we have so much fun!!
Can not wait to see your pics. I just added more to my web album to sneak a peek go here...

http://community.webshots.com/user/barbschmael

Have a wonderful trip Mony and come back safe to us!!
Granby can we see the final Cinderella when it is finished??

YES... lets keep it going!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

PushingPixels
11-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Not exactly a clasic but.....
I took a photo of a cheap beaded curtain at a flea maket which happened to have Mona Lisa on it an did a little treatment in Photoshop on it... thought I'd share my odd finding.. enjoy barbara:cool:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2006/44004-mona_copy.jpg

PushingPixels
11-25-2006, 12:15 AM
And here is this weeks study after Degas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2006/44004-Degas-1sm.jpg

Nickel
11-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi Susan, is this you and a sister? I like the softness, the girls remind me of dancers :) very good!!!!!!!!!!!drawing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Barb, your Degas what a great drawing, Is she picking up soap or what? :lol: And I like the Lisa curtain!:thumbsup:
I am trying to catch up. huff...huff....:o
OH, my sister, she tells everyone I'm older. It's not true. :p
But I will...off to start this new week with some special links to see how stuff works......hope you'll enjoy! Nickel

Nickel
11-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Forgot to tell you Barb, I really like oslassen01 at Mt Lassen, the man under the brigde, is he your husband fly fishing? :D Cool photos as always, and thanks for the journey! Nickel

tyree
11-26-2006, 07:24 PM
barb...im going to have to check out your photos later...my computer wont let me get to them:mad: however, your degas is exquisite...i was afraid to try this one...good job....i like the crazy mona too:p nickel...this drawing i did was a photo from the wet canvas all media thread,,,dont know who the little girls are, but they are dancers:wink2: tyree:wave: