PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for cerulean pigment or dragon's blood?

timelady
04-02-2002, 02:14 PM
My local art shop gets the odd cool thing now and then (in between periods of having nothing of use, including basic mediums and tubes of paint). Today they had a big shiny glass jar of cerulean powder! The irrational side of me (the side that did the accounting yesterday, noticed the bottom line sucks, so wants to go shopping) needs to buy this. But I don't make my own paint.

Is there anything else cool I could do with this? I thought it would be fun to just put the pigment in areas of a painting but am not sure if this would be stable. Ideas, suggestions, advice please.

Oh, and last week I bought a little bag of Dragon's Blood. Any idea what to do with this or how to prepare it? I haven't a clue what it is, but sounded cool. You will notice I have a lack of control in art shops. :D

Tina.

guillot
04-02-2002, 02:55 PM
I have a really, really, really bad lack of control in art shops! :evil: I just can't help myself!!!!

I've never heard of dragon's blood :confused: , but I'm very interested in hearing what it is, and how you can use it.

I don't make my own paint either, but I'm interested in knowing whether or not you can place it directly on the canvas and whether or not it will be stable. The rational side of me tells me that you should be able to mix a very small amount into an existing paint, but I don't know.

Tina (too) :D

Scott Methvin
04-02-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by timelady
Oh, and last week I bought a little bag of Dragon's Blood. Any idea what to do with this or how to prepare it? I haven't a clue what it is, but sounded cool. You will notice I have a lack of control in art shops. :D

Tina.

Tina,

Dragon's blood is a natural dye made from a plant (calamus draco). It is only good as a glaze over oil paint. I suspect it is a fugitive red. Somewhat expensive when genuine.

Dissolves in laquer thinner. I have never used it, but I tried to make oil paint out of genuine gambooge once, also a natural dye made from a plant. The results were disapointing.

Einion
04-02-2002, 04:51 PM
...Today they had a big shiny glass jar of cerulean powder! ...Is there anything else cool I could do with this?
Not really!

As you might know, cerulean blue is a cobalt compound (hence the price) so is among the more toxic pigments we commonly use today so care must be exercised when handling the dry pigment. Apart from this, as a book I read put it, mixing dry pigment into readymade paint is the best way to produce poorly-dispersed paint! Poor dispersion would be a major cause of cracking in the dry paint film so obviously it's something to avoid. Simply mixing the two together with a palette knife would not adequately do the job but re-mulling (using a muller) to properly incorporate some additional pigment should work okay as long as you don't add too much but if you're going to that much trouble you might as well start from scratch I would think. If you do want to try making your own paint (see <A HREF=http://www.kamapigment.com/demo/o1.htm>here</A> for a quick how-to), at least on a small scale, it's not too difficult and by all accounts teaches one to appreciate just how good tube paints are! :)

Oh, and last week I bought a little bag of Dragon's Blood. Any idea what to do with this or how to prepare it? I haven't a clue what it is, but sounded cool. You will notice I have a lack of control in art shops.
Oh you got it bad! Just say no! :D

Assuming this is the real thing (made from a resin) it does not have much use for the artist, although it was the basis of some of the best transfer paper ever made, way back when. Today it is most commonly used as a varnish stain for things like gilding and violin making where its very poor lightfastness is less of an issue.

Einion

timelady
04-03-2002, 03:20 PM
I'll have to pass on the pretty cerulean then. I'll live.

And yes, it is genuine dragon's blood. Paid a pretty penny for a teensy little bag. It's cute though. I guess I could frame it in one of those 3D frames as a conversation piece. ;)

Tina.

Pen
04-03-2002, 11:19 PM
And yes, it is genuine dragon's blood. Paid a pretty penny for a teensy little bag. It's cute though. I guess I could frame it in one of those 3D frames as a conversation piece. ;)

Tina.

Some people use it in incense and incence blends. It's aroma is similar to frankincense. There is a "poor man's" dragon's blood made up of talc, red sandalwood and frankincense. Looks the same and smells similar.

guillot
04-04-2002, 10:59 AM
To have the mind of Einion :cool: !! I think you are absolutely brilliant!!!

Tina - I think it would make quite a nice conversation piece!! Interesting to know that it can be used in incense blends though.

Einion
04-05-2002, 09:34 PM
Aw shucks ma'am, it's all book learnin'

Einion