PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D80 or Canon Rebel XTi???

Ghost Town Glass
11-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Hello,

I am definitely new to digital SLR's. I am looking to buy a good SLR, with the main purpose being to take pictures of jewelry and glass beads. I do have a Nikon 5600 for day to day shots. I have narrowed it down to the D80 and Rebel XTi, and am not sure where to go from here. They both seem to be good cameras, in generally the same price range. I would love to hear input from people who know more about photography than I do about what camera you would choose and why.

I currently have a Canon Rebel and Canon Elan II, both non-digital. As a result, I have several lenses that are Canon. I do not have a macro. I know this might skew me more towards staying in the Canon fmaily, but the bottom line is that I want the best camera I can get (and afford), and if that is the D80, I will get that.

Help! I have read a pile of reviews, lots of threads in glass channel and other glass sites, and things are now getting worse, not better! :lol: Thanks!

kaleidoscope eyes
11-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Well I'm definitely a Nikon nut so for me there's no contest.
However they are both excellent cameras and the fact you have Canon lenses is a bonus. Go hold them in your hand and see which feels best. :)

Ghost Town Glass
11-18-2006, 02:57 AM
LOL, that is good and practical advice!!! I will have to try that, since I have done everything else but that. Thanks!

kaleidoscope eyes
11-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Janine, what I forgot to say is ~ welcome to the forums :)
I hope you'll post some shots when you do decide which camera, that's a lovely area you live in (and not that far from here)

Ghost Town Glass
11-19-2006, 01:43 AM
Thanks, Carol! I used to hang out in glass and wearables. I am moving to Comox Dec 5, so there will be lots of new places to explore!

Wino
11-19-2006, 06:20 PM
I have the XTi (400D). I am quite happy with it. The 430 flash and image-stabilized lenses are great additions, as well.

The autofocus is very fast. The controls are easy to use. I'm not really happy with the display, but I suppose I can get used to it. I wish I could just turn it off permanently, but it comes on every time I turn on the camera.

The battery life has been very good. I have a 4 MP CF card, and I've taken pictures for hours without having to change batteries. The flash pops up automatically, unless you turn it off, which prevents you from using some of the functions. There may be a way to turn it off without losing the ability to use aperature priority, for instance, but I haven't found it yet.

I'm still learning the camera. It is worlds above my previous Konica Minolta A2: much sharper, much faster in all aspects.

Good luck with your purchase. I haven't finished learning this camera, so I may have something wrong here. I am also having problems finding where to do the raw setting. Right now, you need Photoshop CS2 to use raw format, so that's another expense if you want to have the best format for manipulation and editing.

Ghost Town Glass
11-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks, both of you, for your help.

I went in and held both. Given that the Canon fit my hand better, and I can buy a body and a macro and use my other Canon lenses, I am going with the XTi. Hopefully they will take my 2 Canon film cameras as trade ins!

Thank you!!!

moccasin
11-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Janine

Welcome to our crazy corner of WC.

Here is a thread you may find interesting for shooting jewellery and glass beads ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379500

A soft light box is definitely the way to go to get the best results.

Once you've got your new camera and macro lens, tripod and all, I hope you will post in the Darkroom and let us see how you are making out with your shots. If you run into probs or have questions, we love to help!

Cheers,
Sue :heart:

Windy
11-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks, both of you, for your help.

I went in and held both. Given that the Canon fit my hand better, and I can buy a body and a macro and use my other Canon lenses, I am going with the XTi. Hopefully they will take my 2 Canon film cameras as trade ins!

Thank you!!!

You may be disappointed in what they offer you for your bodies I amafraid. You might do better offering them on ebay (check what similar things are going for first)
There are also some very neat softboxes on ebay at the moment and the buy it price plus postage is still cheaper than I can get for here (even though the postage was not cheap)

kaleidoscope eyes
11-25-2006, 10:59 PM
I am going with the XTi.

I hope the two of you are very happy together :thumbsup:

Ghost Town Glass
11-27-2006, 02:14 PM
You may be disappointed in what they offer you for your bodies I amafraid. You might do better offering them on ebay (check what similar things are going for first)

Yeah, it is painful to sell two great cameras for so little. I will find out what they will give me after I check out ebay! I meant to do it already but we are snowed in, a very rare event in Vancouver, so it will have to wait a bit!

kaleidoscope eyes
11-27-2006, 02:20 PM
but we are snowed in

Big fun isn't it???? :(

Windy
11-27-2006, 02:56 PM
but we are snowed in

:eek: eeeek

Ghost Town Glass
11-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, and more due today! Carol, how is Thetis? Big wind, followed by big snow. Global warming, anyone? We move to the island on Monday, so hopefully it will be calm then!

Going to the camera store today with my potential trade ins. Wish me luck!

Windy
11-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Good luck Janine! Which island are you moving to?
We are having the other extreme ... hot hot hot!

Ghost Town Glass
11-29-2006, 05:52 PM
We are moving to Vancouver Island, which is just off the coast I live on now. It is snowing again right now, and the roads are horrid. We are just not used to this weather. Most people are staying in though.

The camera store offered me $50 each for the cameras, plus $40 for a Canon 70-300mm lens. Ebay it is!!!

Windy
11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Good luck Janine.

meriadoc
11-29-2006, 11:00 PM
you may get a surprise on the lens - I sold one on ebay used for almost the brand new purchase price.

aranwood
12-06-2006, 05:43 AM
D80. Well, I would say that because I've got one - and it's great. I took it out for a proper spin in London a couple of weeks ago - but more on that later.

I started with photography at the tender age of five - my father was a photo-journalist - and he gave me a camera (a Petra instamatic). His gear has always been Minolta because he reckoned it gave him the best price-to-performace ratio. Naturally enough, I followed suit, upgrading through the Minolta brand whenever I had an excuse to and could afford it. Finally, digital photography became a viable option so after dabbling around with a rather horrible Fuji I got a DiMage 7i which was the best thing around for the money at the time. Trouble was, it wasn't an SLR and the batteries didn't last long.

Enter my first Nikon - the D70s. My god, what a difference. Despite having a box full of Minolta gear, lenses, bodies, flashguns, I had to make the break and spent 1000 on a new outfit: the D70s, 1870mm standard lens and an SB600 flash. This stood me in good sted for 18 months - I can't fault it.

Now I have the D80 with the fantastic 18200mm VRII lens. Here's my opinion: THERE IS NO POINT IN BUYING ANYTHING ELSE! The camera and lens combination will do pretty much anything - even if your photography is at a very advanced and artistic level, studio or location, staged shots or reportage. It's fast: no start-up time (well, 0.18 of a sec), you can shoot at 3 frames a second continuously for 100 shots without stopping. It's easy: literally a five and a half year old used it to take some pics of his mum. I just set it on Program and told him not to drop it.

I too read all the reviews and did all the comparisons before I bought my D70s and came to the conclusion that Nikon was the way forward. The D80 is just faster and better with a few more bells and whistles.

Let me know how you get on!

TheRedhead
12-16-2006, 07:09 AM
I guess this thread is as good as any to post this question. Lets start with the fact that I don't know squat about cameras or photography. My delimna is simply I am a lampwork artist, making beads and putting them into jewelry pieces. In order for me to apply to fine art shows, as I recently have come to find that I quality for. I need a 35mm camera that will take decent pictures with fine detail (macro). I do have a digital of which we are still having issues with getting decent pictures. BUT with fine art jurying requirements, they want slides! Slides made from digital images is extremely expensive and many times they don't return your slide from the jurying process. I have to find a 35 mm that I can use slide film in...Now what I need simply from anyone here with some knowledge is do I purchase the NikonD80 or the Canon EOS 50qd or the Canon EOS 300V. These cameras are available for sale so I do want to make the right selection for what I need to photograph. Any input would be greatly appareciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Red