PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Dispersions from Kama Pigments

nicanfhilidh
11-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Hi all,
After years of stalling, I am finally seriously considering working in egg tempera again (last time was nearly 20 years ago, in college.) Kama Pigments sells sets of pigments pre-dispersed in little dropper bottles. Has anyone used these, and if so, is the convenience worth the extra cost?

Thanks in advance!

JeffG
11-17-2006, 09:59 PM
I got a few of them, I think via the set. I find them particularly useful for those pigments that are hard to disperse when they are dry, such as Pthalo blue and pthalo green.

They are very, very concentrated. A tiny little bit goes a long way. I'm glad I got them for those colors I mentioned, and I'd consider them for those other hard-to-mix colors such as quinacridones, etc. For standard earth colors and the majority of pigments that mix well in the egg medium, I'm just sticking to dry.

Kremer also has some, and I picked up a few the other day, but I havent used those yet.

turlogh
11-18-2006, 09:47 AM
I have some of Doak's dispersions, which are probably similar. I agree with Jeff that they are convenient for annoying pigments like ultramarine blue and titanium white. For some reason, though, his ultramarine dispersion makes a noticeably duller ET paint than an ultramarine paste I can make with dry pigment and water. (The difference can be useful at times when I want a duller or brighter blue.) Earths are easy just to keep in a small glass jar with water, or even just mix dry into egg medium.

nicanfhilidh
11-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys.

ternik
11-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Dorothy,
If you go to pigmentsplus.com you can watch a video clip using Aqua-Dispersions....they also have a catalog...
I know Bob(in b'klyn) but prefer the Aqua-Dispersion for consistancy