PDA

View Full Version : New Pastel/Title: Ninth Ward

Morris T. Howard
11-14-2006, 01:36 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2006/90612-Ninth_Ward.JPG

Hello Everyone,
This is a pastel I just submitted to International Artist Magazine's landscape competition. The image is from one of the pictures I took last summer in New Orleans' Ninth Ward. I decided to step outside of my comfort zone of just doing figures. This was very challenging for me, but also a lot of fun. I'm curious to read what everyone has to say.:)

Morris

*Violet*
11-14-2006, 02:05 AM
fabulous ... sobering ... riveting .... :thumbsup:

Morris T. Howard
11-14-2006, 02:53 AM
Thank you very, very much Violet.:)

Morris

Dark_Shades
11-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Absolutely all that Violet had said......... I am sure this will Win an Award - you should win an award for your patience alone :) - the foreground is unbelievable......... so well done, love the house too ......

Have to be honest here, but feel that the trees could of been more in keeping with the rest of the painting...... and toned to make even more perspective than you have already got

Good for you to step out of your comfort zone, not an easy thing to do ...... am sure you will do well........ Good luck with the competition ...... and I bet this will be a great talking point with in it..

Mary Brigid
11-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Morris this is a stunning work. I wish you all the best with the compition. This must have taken you hours and hours of work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Morris T. Howard
11-14-2006, 05:03 AM
Thank You Darkshades. How perceptive of you to pick out the trees; the very thing that gave me the most trouble.:) The good news is-I still have the original-the bad news is-I sent the JPEG image in in to the competition already:crying:. Thanks again.

Morris

Morris T. Howard
11-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Morris this is a stunning work. I wish you all the best with the compition. This must have taken you hours and hours of work. :clap: :clap: :clap:Thank You so much Mary, Its always nice to hear from you. Mary yes it was a lot of work; had fun though:lol:.

Morris

Dark_Shades
11-14-2006, 06:41 AM
Thank You Darkshades. How perceptive of you to pick out the trees; the very thing that gave me the most trouble.:) The good news is-I still have the original-the bad news is-I sent the JPEG image in in to the competition already:crying:. Thanks again.

Morris

oooh sorry ..... could you not say to them, oops, sent you the WIP shot ;) - I know this will win an award somewhere...... and can easily see it sitting in the Town Hall or Civic Centre

The picture is truly amazing, and I first thought it your ref photo

How big is this

DAK723
11-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Incredible! I would not worry about the trees. The fact that they are rendered more abstractly and with less detail helps put the focus on the the detailed foreground. I would not change a thing. Both beautifully done and a powerful message.

Don

Charles Perera
11-14-2006, 06:10 PM
For a challenge it is a challenge, and you seem to have come off very well.

Charles

Paula Ford
11-14-2006, 07:31 PM
fabulous ... sobering ... riveting .... :thumbsup:

I TOTALLY agree!! WOW!!

Paula

DebbieGS
11-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Wow! The foreground is fantastic! Good luck!

Debbie

DFGray
11-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Really good pastel with a difficult subject!
great values, a great story!
that top left sky...?

Morris T. Howard
11-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Thank you Dark Shades,Don,Charles,Paula, and Debbie. I really appreciate everyone's encouraging comments.:) :) :) :) :)

Morris

Bhavana Vijay
11-14-2006, 09:09 PM
What a huge challenge! You did a great job. Best of luck on the competition!

karenelkan
11-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Very good, and very moving.

Morris T. Howard
11-15-2006, 04:32 PM
What a huge challenge! You did a great job. Best of luck on the competition!Thank you so much Bhavana.:)

Morris

Morris T. Howard
11-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Very good, and very moving.Thank you very much Karen.:)

Morris

Morris T. Howard
11-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Really good pastel with a difficult subject!
great values, a great story!
that top left sky...?Thanks Dan. Do you see something in the top left of the sky?:)

Morris

Jo Castillo
11-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Amazing and touching.
Jo

Morris T. Howard
11-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Amazing and touching.
JoThank you very much Jo.:)

AnnieA
11-16-2006, 03:36 AM
An amazing painting of such a tragic subject. I think it's hard for people in the other parts of the country to really understand the full extent of the devastation that happened in New Orleans, but your painting really tells the story quite well.

The detail you've gotten in the foreground is just unbelievably well done. It looks like you must have significantly expanded your comfort zone on this one. Best of luck with the competition - I'd vote for this if I were a judge. Keep us posted, Morris, OK?

valchina612
11-16-2006, 04:00 AM
Totally, totally stunning Morris. The foreground is absolutely amazing. All the very, very best with the competition, but I have no doubt it's a winner. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

Morris T. Howard
11-16-2006, 04:41 AM
Thank you AnnieA for those kind words of encouragement.
Thank you Val as always for your support, and good luck to you on your upcoming show next month. I really appreciate both of you so much.:) :)

Morris:wave:

meowmeow
11-16-2006, 04:40 PM
What a striking painting! I have been impressed with your figures but this is just amazing! You have captured the feeling of the devastation. I will be surprised if I don't see you among the winners!

SAndy

Morris T. Howard
11-17-2006, 04:23 PM
What a striking painting! I have been impressed with your figures but this is just amazing! You have captured the feeling of the devastation. I will be surprised if I don't see you among the winners!

SAndyThank you Sandy, I really appreciate the compliments and the encouragemnt. Thanks a Whole Lot!:)

Morris