PDA

View Full Version : Redtail Hawk - xpost Pen & Ink

loggah
11-13-2006, 08:42 PM
I have just returned to scratchboard (clayboard) for the first time since grade school (a VERY long time ago, I am afraid!) I can't believe how much fun I am having.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2006/94228-redtail-scratchboard-sm.jpg

This was done from a photo I took of a red tail hawk. It was perched on the fist of its keeper at a wildlife rehab facility. Magnificent bird!

Thanks for looking!

Diana Lee
11-13-2006, 09:02 PM
What a wonderful piece. What did you use to color it? What size is it? I would love to see you present a work in progress.

Diana

loggah
11-13-2006, 09:15 PM
What a wonderful piece. What did you use to color it? What size is it? I would love to see you present a work in progress.

Diana

Sorry - I should have included the details

It measures about 5 x 7, and was done on white Ampersand clayboard. I used clayboard inks to color it.

I will present a WIP one of these days. I teach a lot of classes and I customarily photograph the piece and produce a step-by-step lesson for my students.

Obedec
11-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Great pose. I was just reading an interview of Carl Brenders and he said (to paraphrase) that eagles (or raptors) are too often posed as doves on a fence, instead of showing them as they truly are. This pose is great! I love it.
Karen

Bertoni
11-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Cheryl:
Wonderful work on this Redtail!!! The scratchwork on the feathers is awe inspiring!!! Each of the feather sections is done beautifully!!! Would I have loved to see WIPs on this one!:clap:

Dave Slaughter
11-14-2006, 11:27 PM
I agree, really nice piece, and second Bertoni for a WIP

loggah
11-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I promise a WIP soon.

Cheryl