PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread November 13 - 19

Paula Ford
11-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Hello Artists! :wave:

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, itís up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when youíre creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/

Have lots of fun!

sjb
11-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Hmmm... not a lot of action here, huh? That's odd, because I really liked the idea. I'm just finishing up a painting that's taken a few days and I might give this a go. Anybody else out there going to give it a try? Gives us a chance to loosen up and put colour down quickly!

Simon

michellej
11-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Got to tell you Paula, i've been snooping around this forum for a while; meaning to get involved but quite afraid of trying a one hour pastel sketch:(

This might be the time for it...that first big dive so to speak:D

Paula Ford
11-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi Simon & Michelle,

It is usually very quiet in this weekly thread around the holidays. Don't let that scare you off though.

Please feel free to post your sketches!

Paula

sjb
11-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, here it is! A female honey creeper that my wife found on the internet. Here's the original photo:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2006/94247-honey_creeper_f_source.jpg

And here's my sketch:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2006/94247-honey_creeper_f.jpg

Total time: 56 minutes.
9 x 12 Canson grey
Alphacolor, Rembrandt and a bit of Sennelier.

Simon

Paula Ford
11-19-2006, 05:14 PM
What a gorgeous bird Simon!

I love the greens in it.

Great sketch!

Paula

sjb
11-20-2006, 01:46 AM
Thanks Paula!

I'm really happy with it. I was putting off trying my hand at anything other than landscapes, and this gave me the perfect opportunity. My wife Tammy is really happy with it too. Now she wants me to do more like this, including a cardinal. I wonder if I have enough shades of red?

Simon

AnnieA
11-20-2006, 02:48 AM
I did a quick study of a tree (also posted in the Tree Portrait thread, in the Project Forum):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/1063/completed/85002/Soft_Pastel_Tree_Portrait_Sketch.jpg

I struggled with this tree for one week in a different painting, done in oil pastels. I did this study, though, in just about an hour (give or take), and I think all the time I spent on the oil pastel shows in the study. There are still lots of flaws, but I really know that tree now, so this was much easier. The larger scale of this one helped too (the other was part of an 8x8 painting; this is 9x12).

I still need lots more experience with trees. A critique on this one - or tips so I wouldn't make the same the errors - would be appreciated greatly.

Paula Ford
11-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Annie, I'm so sorry but I never saw your post!!

I like the looseness of your tree. May I suggest starting out sketching in the trunk and branches and then using 3 values of greens...1 dark, 1 medium, 1 light. Lay in the darks first throughout the whole tree. Then in two thirds of the upper tree and noting where the sun is coming from, lightly scumble over the darks, being careful not to cover the darks completely. Then the upper most 1/3 section use the lightest and scumble it over the medium and dark lightly. That way, you can start to see the depth of the tree. Now at this stage you can scumble in a bit of brown, or fall colors, whatever you prefer.

I'll be doing a tree demo soon and will let you know.

Paula

AnnieA
11-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Annie, I'm so sorry but I never saw your post!!

I like the looseness of your tree. May I suggest starting out sketching in the trunk and branches and then using 3 values of greens...1 dark, 1 medium, 1 light. Lay in the darks first throughout the whole tree. Then in two thirds of the upper tree and noting where the sun is coming from, lightly scumble over the darks, being careful not to cover the darks completely. Then the upper most 1/3 section use the lightest and scumble it over the medium and dark lightly. That way, you can start to see the depth of the tree. Now at this stage you can scumble in a bit of brown, or fall colors, whatever you prefer.

I'll be doing a tree demo soon and will let you know.

Paula

Oh, no prob, Paula! I only posted the tree a little while ago. I appreciate the feedback a lot, and will be looking forward to that tree demo! Your landscapes are gorgeous, and you sure know your way around a tree :p so that ought to be a great demo!

sjb
11-22-2006, 02:14 AM
Hi Annie,

Great sketch! Of course I don't know the tree that you're drawing from, but one thing that I just figured out after staring at your picture for a while is that the lighting is striking me as strange: the area in the center bottom and in an arch around it is a very light green and almost looks like it's being lit from below. Kind of like having a light shine upwards into the tree. The branches to the left and right halfway down the page look right, with the light coming from the top.

I just finished doing a painting here (http://ii.homeip.net/media/1/20061117-peacock.jpg) where I got to try several trees one after the other. Some worked and some didn't. The ones that work for me are to the far left and just off-center right, and it's because the layering of the lights on the darks worked out, just like Paula says. I guess the word is "scumble", but I don't think I'll try using it in a sentence until I'm sure... :lol:

:wave:

Simon

Paula Ford
11-22-2006, 06:12 AM
LOL...

Hi Simon, I love your pinetrees!! They are my favorite trees. Here in Tennessee we have huge, gorgeous pines!

Another thing I love about your painting is the large rock on the left. It is perfectly done and looks like it's moss covered. The shadowing underneath is wonderful also. The colors in your painting are lovely also! What pastels are you using?

Nice work!

Paula

sjb
11-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi Paula,

I picked up my first pastels a few months ago: an Alphacolor set of 48 as a starter. Since then I have slowly been picking up some Rembrandts and a couple Senneliers from the local shops to try them out. If you discount the large areas of grass and background light green, the bulk of the painting is with the few Rembrandts I have picked up.

I like the rock, too. :)

Simon

Paula Ford
11-22-2006, 12:14 PM
I have a secret to tell you Simon. When I first began pastelling I bought a full set of Dick Blick pastels, considered cheap, student grade. Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone...I still use them (and like them!!!) LOL

Paula

jshelby
11-22-2006, 04:31 PM
My Grumbachers are over 20 years old and I still love them. They go in almost everything I do still.

Jan

scall0way
11-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi all,
I sure do miss the weekly sketch, but had no time for sketching. It's just been hectic lately. Well Oratorio has finished until January, so that's one more free night a week for me. Art classes will finish up the first week in December. I should try to just reserve Wednesdays as Art Night just for myself. Well happy sketching all, and hope to join you soon.

AnnieA
11-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Duplicate (how did that happen?) Sorry.

AnnieA
11-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Oh gosh! I didn't realize that anyone had replied about my tree until just now! Simon, thanks for your feedback. I agree that the green area at the bottom seems like it may be somewhat off, but (and here's where a picture is worth a thousand words)...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2006/85002-Tree_In_Question.jpg

And that's just what the tree looks like at one particular time of day. An hour later, when the light changes, it looks completely different again! :eek: The photo is a bit darker than the light at which I actually did the sketch.

Now that I've had a chance to begin to emotionally disengage from this tree and the painting/sketch I did of it, I realize that part of the problem all along is that the tree sits on the side of a very steep hill; all that's visible of the tree from the POV of the painting/sketch is the top half. We don't see the bottom half/base of the tree at all. So that, along with the loss of leaves (making for extra-visible branches and sky-holes) and the vine that is crawling all over the tree (making greenery appear in odd places), make for quite a challenge. :eek: Why do I keep doing that? It seems the only things that interest me are things that are way beyond my ability to paint! :lol: In this case, it also indicated poor planning for composition. :o But I have to say that even so, I had a lot of fun.

Paula and Simon: I still use my Pentel and Gallery oil pastels, and even some Pro-Artes (I think you can buy a set of 24 Pro-Arte oil pastels for $1.89!!! They're rather waxy, but they work just fine for an underpainting.). :p So why not?

Thanks for showing us your tree painting, Simon. It looks like you're off to a good start. Like Paula, I particularly like the mossy rock. :) I hadn't commented on the bird either, which is also quite nice. What beautiful colors!

I hope you'll be back with us soon, Debbie.