View Full Version : Writing Symposium - Sunderland

scribblet
11-13-2006, 01:18 PM
How I envy those who can attend this symposium with Ewan Clayton,

http://newton.sunderland.ac.uk/~as0mli/pages/index.html

A sense of place

WRITING 2007 INTERNATIONAL CALLIGRAPHY SYMPOSIUM
27 July to 2 August 2007

Welcome to ĎA Sense of Placeí the first conference organised by the new International Research Centre for Calligraphy at the University of Sunderland. We hope this conference will become a regular event in your calendar, it will be held in July, once every two years. Every new journey begins from where we are and our opening theme has been chosen to enable several kinds of reflection on this theme, ranging from an in-depth look at key letterforms to an open space workshop where people are free to work on their own projects with an experienced tutor at hand. True to the historic monastic roots of the St. Peterís campus, where our workshops will be held, we have also been careful to include a perspective on the wider European heritage of calligraphy, as well as to provide for the possibility of making a more interior journey though the week.

RachelFlyer
12-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I won't be able to either, scriblett. A Trans-Atlantic flight isn't even in the picture.
There seems to be a serious shortage of old monasteries, ancient illuminated manuscripts, etc. in the USA (I'm not counting the ones on tour at various museums ;) ). Hope someone gets to go to this.
Rachel