PDA

View Full Version : Art Show Sale Split

doe
11-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Ok, this is my third attempt to post. Apparently I have cookie issues. What's new? I really don't understand because I love cookies.

Anyway, if this gets posted, here's the poop. I've received an invite to show paintings at a local-ish event as a result of attending past plein air events, however when I read the form they have a statement that they will charge a 50/50 split for any sold pieces. It has been my experience that organizations like this would typically charge 20-25 percent on sales which seems more reasonable for a venue like this. I believe they are a nonprofit org.

My question is what have you seen lately for splits on shows like this?

I've contacted them asking what they are doing to warrant such a high percentage but haven't heard back from them yet.

Just curious.

PS this has been a really discombobulated post - hope its ok now.

cathrs
11-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Far out - no way!! 50% is a rip off. Our local gallery offers 25%.
Cath

michellej
11-11-2006, 09:18 PM
The highest i know of is 30%. 50 is like trying to take out your eye with a dull blade:eek:

doe
11-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks Cath and Greta - that's what I'm thinking - they're not even a gallery! Galleries do get up to 50% around here though. It would mean I'd have to double my price so that I could pay myself. I'll probably have to pass on this one. darn.

JamieWG
11-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Almost very paintout/auction I've participated in does a 50/50 split, plus the artist supplies the framing. Some have been 60/40 (with the 60 going to the artist), but not many. The same is true of the galleries. When I find a gallery that takes less than 40%, I consider it a gold mine, but it is not the norm, at least not around here.

If you have a hard time getting your head around the 50/50, if it's a non profit organization, just look at it as a donation to the organization. I always feel good when I get to paint and help a worthy cause simultaneously. I donate a few paintings a year outright, and participate in the 50/50s of some other organizations as well. Some of my galleries take 50% too. They work hard for their commissions, have high overhead, and pay for advertising. I hate marketing art. I'd much rather have them do it and spend my time painting.

Jamie

Ok, this is my third attempt to post. Apparently I have cookie issues. What's new? I really don't understand because I love cookies.

Anyway, if this gets posted, here's the poop. I've received an invite to show paintings at a local-ish event as a result of attending past plein air events, however when I read the form they have a statement that they will charge a 50/50 split for any sold pieces. It has been my experience that organizations like this would typically charge 20-25 percent on sales which seems more reasonable for a venue like this. I believe they are a nonprofit org.

My question is what have you seen lately for splits on shows like this?

I've contacted them asking what they are doing to warrant such a high percentage but haven't heard back from them yet.

Just curious.

PS this has been a really discombobulated post - hope its ok now.

bluefish
11-11-2006, 10:35 PM
50% is rather high for this type of show unless Donald Trump, Steve Winn, and their friends are going to be purchasing, then I'd gladly give them 50% because my markup would cover it! - usually shows of this nature are 25% er's. NYC galleries only do 50-60%!

Jo Castillo
11-11-2006, 11:15 PM
A bit unusual unless the non-profit's share is going to a special project. We did a show/auction for the local fire department and did a 50-50 share. Some work went for less than it would in a normal sale and some went for more, but it was for charity so we were prepared. It's high I think, if the items are set to sell for a set price. I, too, donate for charities.

Jo

PeggyB
11-12-2006, 01:37 AM
It all depends upon the region of the world in which you live. 50/50 even for nonprofits isn't unusual in many areas, and is way too much in others. Most artists I know of automatically plan on pricing their work at 50/50, and when it is less they make more money, but when it is 50/50 they've already planned for it. I like Jamie's attitude: "... if it's a non profit organization, just look at it as a donation to the organization. I always feel good when I get to paint and help a worthy cause simultaneously. I donate a few paintings a year outright, and participate in the 50/50s of some other organizations as well. Some of my galleries take 50% too. They work hard for their commissions, have high overhead, and pay for advertising. I hate marketing art. I'd much rather have them do it and spend my time painting."

If you feel this might be an opportunity to get your work before the public, raise the prices of your work to account for a 50% commission and go for it. Is this the first time this organization has held this sale? Ask around to find out who else is going to participate and that may give you a clue as to whether or not you want to participate.

Peggy

Kitty Wallis
11-12-2006, 03:33 AM
A 50% commision is for publicity, getting your work under the eyes of the gallery's network of clients. Also to be presented and sold by professionals. Good NY galleries have been charging 60% for decades.

Unless this is a cause you favor and want to support, or this is a well known gallery with it's own following, 50% is unwarranted.

doe
11-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks Jamie, Blue, Jo, Peggy and Kitty for the input.

Yes, I hear you re: the nonprofit issue and have donated paintings in the past and just agreed to donate another that would be auctioned during a paintout where the sales commission is 25% and they provide you with free bothspace during the paintout. This one just seems excessive because we all paid to attend their paintout and that was ok - they gave us a brown bag lunch and opened areas that we would otherwise not be allowed to be in. There's no exhibit fee but the 50% means I'd have to double my price and then you wonder if anyone is going to sell anything once all the prices are jacked up. So, it seems they defeat their purpose. They say it's juried but don't announce the juror and don't say if there are awards at the show. I feel like it's more of a Christmas Bazaar atmosphere and the jurying is just so they don't have to accept crappy work. I'm not sure that I do support their cause and am not that sure of what it is. Maybe I'm thinking too much.

I'll keep investigating until the cutoff date.