PDA

View Full Version : A parcel from the U.S.A ... A warning

Mary Brigid
11-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Hi all,
I was delighted when a friend of mine in the U.S.A. said they would send me on some Wallis paper. I thought they were going to buy it and send it through the mail.
I have been waiting eagerly for it and every one here seems to love this paper and I have been dying to try it.
Yesterday my paper arrived at my front door............ Oh yipee Christmas is early!!!! :clap:
But what a bummer...... I had to pay 30 euro and 41 cent.... (about 27 in dollars) before the delivery man would hand it over. :crying:
My friend did not post it.
It was bought over the net from Jerry artaram.
42 dollars for 5 sheets white Wallis Museum paper + 7.50 freight charge whice my friend paid for
At my end I had to pay in euro... 14. 50 freight , surcharges 13. 50 and vat 2.84 :eek:
I am dying to try my wallis. Wet it and experament... but it has cost so much I am now afraid to touch it :lol:

JamieWG
11-10-2006, 09:06 AM
OUCH! :(

Oh, Mary, that really hurts. I'm sure you'll love the Wallis, but what a price to pay.

Jamie

Katherine T
11-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Mary - Jackie Simmonds distributes Wallis in the UK - my guess is it might been a lot cheaper to get it from her.

Bringer
11-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi,

Someone from USA is sending me some stuff, but that person will take the stuff from the original package (and any invoice, of course) and send it in another package as a gift.
You can send for stuff from USA and not pay taxes as long as it's a small value (like 30 dollars for insteance) AND and I repeat AND sent through USPS (United States Post Office). DON'T use services like UPS and alikes.
Do you know Gerstaecker ? They have a UK shop. And another one in Germany (main one) and another in Paris.
If you need any help, just PM me.

Kind regards,

Josť

P.S. even between people i.e. not companies, one has to fill a form and declare a value. I think that's what one's supposed to do.
Do you think I do that ? OF COURSE NOT !

Kitty Wallis
11-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi Mary,

Sorry to hear of your misunderstanding. but happy you have the paper. Go ahead, play with it. If you don't like the result you can wash it off. Of course the paper will no longer be white, but you will recover all the grit texture and be able to do another piece on it. One artist reported working on a piece, washing it off, painting another, 3 times, then winning a prize with the fourth painting on that same piece of paper..

The record at this date, for painting with pastels and washing off and starting over is 17!!! And still going.

Dea
11-11-2006, 03:57 AM
Mary,
I had a similar problem, my paper came by Fedex and ended up costing about $20 a sheet. I felt the same as you and didn't want to use it then I thought what the heck! It is very good paper, that is one cosolation,
Deanna.

Dark_Shades
11-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Shucks Mary...... I know its a shock when you get stung for Import duties and Courier charges.......
But if it helps......... Wallis is worth it :)

By the way Kitty......... I keep promoting your paper to Heaton Cooper in the UK .... wish you could have a word with them too :) - would save a bundle on Import Duties

khourianya
11-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Yikes - sounds like what I have to deal with everytime I have something sent to me from a business in the US...

Of course - that being said, I can only buy 2-3 sheets of Wallis professional for that price here in Calgary, from the store! :O so it doesn't really strike me as that expensive anymore...

Mary Brigid
11-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Thank you all for your comments and information. I will make use of it, as I will never be caught out again. I got to use a little bit of Wallas over the weekend and I know I am going to love it. Thank you again everone :wave:

meowmeow
11-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Mary, here is a link to Jackie's page about the paper. She does sell it in the UK.

http://www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk/wallis.htm

Have fun with it. It might take some getting used to but in the end you will love it!

Sandy

HarvestMoon
11-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Mary, your friend probably meant well, but just did not understand the shipping, tax, and such..... so sorry, but hope you enjoy it!
Linda

Peiwend
10-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Cori, I have had excellent service from both Daniel Smith and Dick Blick shipping to Canada by USPS. Daniel Smith charges a percentage of the order total and Dick Blick charges only actual shipping based on weight. Pastels don't weigh very much. I had a couple of bad experiences with a discount place.