PDA

View Full Version : Alas, all good things must come to an end

scottb
04-01-2002, 01:01 AM
When I started WC! four years ago, I did so with the intent to create a community site to allow artists of all mediums to share information in a truly collaborative environment. Since those early days, we've spent a lot of time adding new tools and new goodies to the site. This site has been around so long, we've even had the time to rewrite some of the toys like the project system 3 different times. :)

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. The cost of running this site has simply become too prohibitive. We use *many* gigabytes of bandwidth every day (well over a terabyte of traffic every month now). At $5 a gigabyte, that is well over $5,000 a month now. :( Not to mention the $15K I just shelled out for new servers, or the nearly 16 hours at less than minimum wage ($0) a day I put in to add new goodies to the site.

One of the things that I've always clinged to (perhaps naively) was that I never wanted to charge the artist for access to the community. My mantra was "they don't call 'em starving artists for nothing!". I figured that generally speaking, artists didn't have the money to spare to begin with. So, we relied on selling advertisements. That worked for a little while, but with the recent downturn in the economy, even that has proved too little. We implemented the name-your-own-subscription program (NYOS) in hopes that enough of you would subscribe periodically to help offset the tremendous costs of running this site. Unfortunately, that hasn't worked as well as I had originally anticipated. :(

With that said, it is with great sadness that I have to announce that I'll have to pull the plug on WC in the next week or so. While I'll have to sell the servers to try and pay off some of the debt, I'll keep the hard drives from the servers at home, in hopes that I can someday figure out a way to financially bring the site back up online.

Yours in jest, April Fool's!!! Now get to that NYOS page!

Scott

Rose Queen
04-01-2002, 01:03 AM
Oh, you bad boy! :D

Flehmen
04-01-2002, 01:04 AM
Bad Scott, bad bad bad...

And if you've not heard it recently, thank you... this place actually got me into "art" and for me that's the best testimonial that I could give ya.

Flehmen

Christie
04-01-2002, 01:05 AM
Boy! You are soooo lucky I live in Canada and the government will pay for the heart attack you just gave me!!!!!!:p

DanaT
04-01-2002, 01:09 AM
Oh Scott, you devil! :evil: :evil: :evil:

animal
04-01-2002, 01:49 AM
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

gnu
04-01-2002, 01:55 AM
OHHHHHH you got me good !!!!! I was nearly :crying:
Sounded plausible, but what was I gonna DO:confused:
HOWEVER.... it is 7:30 PM here, so TECHNICALLY..... you didn't get me :evil: :angel:

reynolds
04-01-2002, 03:29 AM
you creep....had me going for a second. happy april fools!!!

onefromheaven
04-01-2002, 03:32 AM
You had me going...........happy April fools:D

arlene
04-01-2002, 03:37 AM
Well now that my heart has started beating again...be afraid, be very afraid!

It's not nice to fool a scorpio woman...payback can be a...well, it rhymes with witch... :evil: :evil: :evil:

baquitania
04-01-2002, 03:40 AM
Here's my donation... use it well...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2002/lotterycheck.gif

reynolds
04-01-2002, 03:46 AM
i am a scorpio too scott...:evil:
laugh out loud again and again, all the way to the bank, not!!!
love the check baquitania;)

arIene
04-01-2002, 04:01 AM
Dear Mr B:

It is unfortunate that you have taken this action against so many loyal artists in this community. People who have done nothing but give over their time and recently their money to the continued success of this site. I assure though you consider this the last word in this matter, we as a community are not without the viable means to execute a more balanced solution...

I have consulted with over 7 libel lawyers, members here who shall remain nameless. And they have conferred that your act of malicious denial, is the main cause for our mental duress and artistic trauma as a whole to this community. In layman's terms, we are taking the necessary means to sever the "head" from the monster's body.

In the next few days, you will recieve due notice of our joint class
action against you and anyone siding with your decision to close Wet Canvas down. I understand that you feel this place no longer serves it's purpose but Malarkey, I mean others here have assured me they would not be able to find eggs anywhere else...
A disgruntled egg hunter , April 1st, 2002

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2002/scottheadless.jpg

Lulu
04-01-2002, 04:11 AM
Well, I'm off to bed - laughing out loud at all of you!!:D:D:D

paintfool
04-01-2002, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by arIene
Dear Mr B:

It is unfortunate that you have taken this action against so many loyal artists in this community. People who have done nothing but give over their time and recently their money to the continued success of this site. I assure though you consider this the last word in this matter, we as a community are not without the viable means to execute a more balanced solution...

I have consulted with over 7 libel lawyers, members here who shall remain nameless. And they have conferred that your act of malicious denial, is the main cause for our mental duress and artistic trauma as a whole to this community. In layman's terms, we are taking the necessary means to sever the "head" from the monster's body.

In the next few days, you will recieve due notice of our joint class
action against you and anyone siding with your decision to close Wet Canvas down. I understand that you feel this place no longer serves it's purpose but Malarkey, I mean others here have assured me they would not be able to find eggs anywhere else...
A disgruntled egg hunter , April 1st, 2002

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2002/scottheadless.jpg
ROFLMAO!!!! That's a WC! Classic!!!! :D :D Ok Scott i'm guilted to the max! Heading off to toss ya some bucks... :D
Love,
Cheryl

billyg
04-01-2002, 04:21 AM
Funeeee Scott,
That would have stuffed up my dream of bringing you to NZ for a holiday when I win Lotto. Now you will have to sit at home a wonder if I still will when I win big time on Lotto. Happy April Fools day and your name is at the bottom of the list. Blah.
Billyg/ :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

wendee
04-01-2002, 06:47 AM
LOL...awww scott I already have hubby trying these tricks on me all day and none of them worked....lol neither did yours...lol:evil:

PhilC
04-01-2002, 07:19 AM
Ok I walked in to that one now have have to get my hart going agine.:D :D

DuncanBerenice
04-01-2002, 07:26 AM
I just had to go and change ma breeks (trousers) :D

Nice one Scott, you had me there, I should've realised it being the first, and me wife did tell to watch them april fool e-mails :D

Duncan

ptantono
04-01-2002, 07:44 AM
You really got me. I forgot totally that today is April Fools.
Good one ! :D

TeAnne
04-01-2002, 08:22 AM
WetCanvas is the BE ALL and END ALL of my reason for breathing! You took my breath away and I was choking. lolololol
You :evil: man! lololol

auntie_chaos
04-01-2002, 08:35 AM
You are nasty Scott!!! :evil: You caught me ... and here I was trying to make sure I didn't get caught on any jokes today. Lord only knows why I was ready not to believe anything I read or heard today but I fell hook, line and sinker for your joke! I was almost in tears thinking I was going to lose my 'family' here! All I can say is you are a BAD BOY Scott, but it was a good joke!
Happy April Fools Day all!! (now that I've composed myself again)

Pedi Nurse
04-01-2002, 09:05 AM
DANG! I was going to post a message about Dick Blick going out of business & selling everything at 50% off. Now I don't think anybody would believe it.

Scott, you beat me to the punch:p

Hasta,
Steve

orchidlover6
04-01-2002, 10:57 AM
Scott You bad boy you! I almost had cardiac arrest right here at my work desk. How in the world would I have explained (if I had survived that is) to my employer what I was doing surfing Wetcanvas during office hours? Naughty you, but you gotta me good!

jsr88
04-01-2002, 11:04 AM
I'm ALWAYS so careful on April 1...boy did I get BIT this time. NYOS...EVERYONE! :)

Faafil
04-01-2002, 11:04 AM
Scott, you :evil: you !! I was about to get out my credit card again, and beg and plead you to reconsider....

arlene
04-01-2002, 11:20 AM
To All (my moderator hat is off, and my member hat is on),

It does take alot of money to run this site...so we don't someday see Scott writing this letter for real, please take the time to give something (any amount, small or large)...think of it as the cost of a magazine subscription.

Personally, I think the small amount I have spent has been 100x better than any magazine subscription. Think of it, you read a magazine that costs you anywhere from $15-$60/year, and once you've looked through the magazine, you're done till your next issue comes.

Here everyday (heck every minute) there is something new to look at...that's if you ever finish reading everything on this site.

...arlene...

Little Old Lady
04-01-2002, 11:24 AM
You had me scared to death. Not a nice thing to do to A Little Old Lady. I thought gee after 10 days he is going to pull the plug on me, But it did make me aware and I am off to the donation area.
JoAnn

joemajury
04-01-2002, 11:27 AM
My heart was pounding, "WHAT ABOUT ALL MY FRIENDS", I was panicking,.
I was going to send out April Fool jokes to all my friends, but thought better of it, now Im glad, 2 heart attacks in one day would be to much for SOME of them !!

Joe
;) ;)

Leaflin
04-01-2002, 12:58 PM
:D Good One Scott :D

sandge
04-01-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by arlene
To All (my moderator hat is off, and my member hat is on),

It does take alot of money to run this site...so we don't someday see Scott writing this letter for real, please take the time to give something (any amount, small or large)...think of it as the cost of a magazine subscription.

Personally, I think the small amount I have spent has been 100x better than any magazine subscription. Think of it, you read a magazine that costs you anywhere from $15-$60/year, and once you've looked through the magazine, you're done till your next issue comes.

Here everyday (heck every minute) there is something new to look at...that's if you ever finish reading everything on this site.

...arlene...
Wot arlene said. :)

jenrou
04-01-2002, 03:04 PM
Heading to buy something or donate or something! My heart stopped. Bad boy.:p

Allan Jameson
04-01-2002, 03:09 PM
Hehehehe......hehehe.....:D :D :evil: :evil: :clap: :clap:

Its actually the 2nd here.

Gisela
04-01-2002, 04:20 PM
SCOTT!!!!

Wow, I competely forgot that it was April and you had me in tears by the second paragraph!! Sheesh!

Be still -- my pounding heart! :eek:

Gisela,

One a these days, Scott... :evil:

lori
04-01-2002, 04:58 PM
scott...

you are a nut.

may you find your fruitcake. oh, well maybe you have on this site! lol.

good one!

Minibrush
04-01-2002, 05:09 PM
Got me! And here I just made senior member. :rolleyes:

But on the other hand............... whew!

Minibrush

cagathoc
04-01-2002, 05:30 PM
You are the first one who got me today!

yogi
04-01-2002, 05:49 PM
Me thinks a fiend is among us! :)

tammy
04-01-2002, 06:53 PM
We-ll.....you could have just stuck to the ole "there's a spider on your back trick". That would not have stopped my heart as bad as this one could have if I had been the first to have seen it!
As is, I had to work all day and I get to read all the posts behind it. HAH! Good one there Guy!

Javier
04-02-2002, 06:37 AM
Caught me flat footed -- Excellent! And right after the great Easter Egg Hunt.

You keep this place a lively site, -- Thanks,

Lynda Mortensen
04-02-2002, 12:45 PM
SCOTT!!!!!!

That was mean, mean, mean. My heart sank to the pit of my stomach and I nearly choked on my coffee....

But - hint taken and I hurried straight over to NYOS :angel:

Now don't you EVER do that again !!!

Lynda :D

tigertiger
04-02-2002, 01:11 PM
I haven't posted for a while now... ( I know, I know... why not???:confused: ) ...anyway, I had to say something here...
Damn Scott, what are you trying to do??? It's the day after and I'm still getting caught with this foolery!!?? My hat's off to you on this one. With the heart thumping I just took, I think I'll skip the work-out tonight!
Don