PDA

View Full Version : Pastel boxes?

James or Jimmy Jim
11-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I want to get a good pastel box, for use both outdoors (used with a French easel) and indoors.

I saw a nice one at Albert Handell's workshop and am kicking myself for not getting it. I think it was Jim Lynch's, but am not really sure.

I'll probably give Albert a call, but thought I'd check here first.

I've found these online:

The Dakota Universal Travel boxes

Degas™ Artist Pastel Box

Heilman Pastel Box

Jim Lynch? His site isn't about pastel boxes.

Any thoughts?

sundiver
11-08-2006, 06:45 PM
At the moment I carry my Terry Ludwig landscape set in the original box (in my backpack/seat) and have jury-rigged something for a few others, but I've been eyeing the Pod thingies and docking station.
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply-stores/online/5636

MarieMeyer
11-08-2006, 09:36 PM
The Pod thingys are nice, but come with a big drawback: they use space very inefficiently, so you can't carry many sticks.

Paula Ford
11-08-2006, 10:32 PM
I have 2 Universal Large boxes from Dakota and love them. Right now they are set up permanently in my studio, but I used to use one of them to go to class with and to travel with. I purchased one of those luggage carts with bungie cords from Wal Mart and that is how I used to carry it. Much better on wheels because the thing weighs about 20 lbs. full of pastels.

Paula

chewie
11-08-2006, 10:38 PM
you can spend alot on a box! kinda depends on what your plans may be. if you can, you might wanna 'get by' with something for a while, to see what your own personal preferrecnes (its very late for me, and i've been painting my house all day, spelling ain't gonna work!). sometimes i jump in, then later think, oh, if i'd of known, i coulda.....

i made some boxes from foamboard, and there are also some nice things in the rubbermaid line of stuff. i keep my pastels for plein air in the drawer, and you can buy an extra drawer. (one for oil, one for pastel, switch out) for home i use the foam trays i made, love them!! i think the biggest drawback for those boughten boxes is that once you outgrow them (and you will!;) ) then what? buy another box? foamboard trays can be made as you need them. donna aldridge got me into this--at her workshop she literally held her tray boxes up over head, and dropped, almost throwing them to the floor! talk about gasping! and everything was fine, AND, she's been using those very trays for 20 years! on planes, workshop travel, etc.!

Karen Margulis
11-08-2006, 10:48 PM
I went to Albert's workshop here in Georgia last May and he had the Heilman boxes. I bought the backpack size and it's been the best investment!!! It's pricey but I love the way Anita showed us how to organize the pastels by value...it's been the best thing I have done to improve my paintings!
Karen

sundiver
11-09-2006, 06:51 AM
And Jim, you might check out dfgray's setup; he has pics of it posted somewhere and works exclusively plein air, in pastels.

James or Jimmy Jim
11-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Albert had Heilman boxes? In his book he mentions Jim Lynch's boxes. Are Lynch boxes still available?

Why are the Heilman boxes so much more expensive than the others? If they are much better quality, it might be worth it.

Dan balances his pastels on a TV tray. It takes years of experience to do that! :D :D :D

Karen Margulis
11-09-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't know about the Lynch boxes but in May he had 2 sizes of Heilman boxes and I'd say half the class bought one. Anita took the time to organize your pastels in your new box if you wanted. I'm not sure about why they are so expensive but I have traveled with it and it keeps my pastels clean and unbroken.

Karen

DebbieGS
11-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Karen would you please take a picture of your box to show us? I'm new to pastels and I'm also looking for a box.

Thank you!
Debbie

AnnieA
11-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Chewie: it would be great to see a pic, or have some additional info on the foamboard boxes you made too. I'm not quite clear on how you would go about making one. Did you post something a while back? I'm just really surprised (and impressed) about the story you told about Donna Aldridge throwing them on the floor with no problem, so I'd like to take a look at making some for myself.

I personally use a wooden artist's box (about 16"x20"x2") that originally was packed with a student grade art material set. It's pretty well made, with a handle, so I just removed the plastic liners that held the materials, and lined both sides with foam I purchased in a craft supply store. I've thought about adding two foam backed panels that would attach, one to each side, so I could use both sides of the box for carrying pastels, but right now, I just use one side for the pastels (the other side just has foam). The foam is thick enough that when I close the box, the pastels are held in place and don't shift around. I've also thought of adding a longer shoulder strap.

For those with limited funds to spend on such things, or as an interim solution, I think that it might make sense to buy one of these sets, dump the cheapo materials (although I still use the oil pastels from it), line the box with foam, and voila, a nice, professional box for only around $25. It works for me.

DebbieGS
11-09-2006, 06:08 PM
I just bought a empty wooden cigarbox from a tabacco store for $5 and lined it with foam...this should work for me until I decide what I want to do. I'm hoping my husband can make me a box. I went to the Heilman website and their boxes start at $200. I would rather send the money on more pastels.

jkt
11-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Maggie Price has the Heilman backpack box at a workshop I took in May. She had it arranged by values. I liked what I saw. I just bought one and am excited about using it especially as I will be doing a lot of traveling in the next four months. It is made beautifully! I am pleased I have made the investment.
JoAnne

JamieWG
11-10-2006, 09:11 AM
I want to get a good pastel box, for use both outdoors (used with a French easel) and indoors.

Ummm....Jimmy....I have the Cassatt box and I'm not using it. Would you like it? you can see it here:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz228/29/

Here's a pic of my box from back when I was using it:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2006/13766-Pastels_reorganized_500.jpg

The sides get covered with panels that affix with velcro, and it folds in half to an attache case size.
Jamie

Shari
11-10-2006, 11:17 AM
I also use the Heilman box; I have a regular and a backpack size. I also have the dakota Universal box for in the studio but I would not take anything but a Heilman out of the studio. I absolutely love my Heilman box and it is very well made, I think it will last for many many years. When I took a workshop from Albert two and a half years ago, he also used the Heilman box. The Heilmans are wonderful people also and sometimes, if you call them and ask, they may have a slightly damaged box, with no dysfunction but perhaps an esthetic problem that they will sell cheaper.

DebbieGS
11-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Thank you Jamie for the picture of your box and the link. I am new to pastels and this is more the price range that I would want to spend on a box right now.

Debbie

James or Jimmy Jim
11-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Ummm....Jimmy....I have the Cassatt box and I'm not using it. Would you like it? you can see it here:

The sides get covered with panels that affix with velcro, and it folds in half to an attache case size.
Jamie

What goes around comes around. :) Jamie, I'd love it! :thumbsup:

If the pastel experience works for me, at some point I'll probably get the Heilman, but it's a bit pricey for an amateur. I could get quite a few pastels instead. :D

JamieWG
11-10-2006, 01:08 PM
LOL, Jimmy. Too funny. If I can't find your address lying around here somewhere, I'll PM you.

Jamie

chewie
11-12-2006, 06:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2006/6679-pastel_trays1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2006/6679-workspace.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344728&highlight=pastel+trays

here's the link from donna herself. i made my trays in a short time, mostly of scrap foamboard. i use a computer box, those seem to be really sturdy and almost waxy inside, so i think probalby a bit water resistant.
(donna's box was long (3 feet or so) and flat, around a foot wide.) my trays fit in layers in my tall box, with bubble wrap between layers of trays. this box also has those 'handles' where the heavy cardboard is cut out, so i find it simple to carry them, and i strap it shut with--what else?--duct tape! works like a charm, they travel in my car well, but i highly doubt you'd wanna fly with them this way. on the one pix, you can see my trays aren't even, and if did it over i'd be sure to make them all deeper like the one is. those work better than the more shallow ones. i used the dimentions of the couple boxes i bought from dakota, around $9 each with a lid and foam slotted insert. i do not like those, so didn't want to pay so much again for empty boxes when i tossed that foam out.

for other stuff, i use a french easel with a unision box modifiied, which fits in the drawer perfectly, with room to spare for a few other things. that i take to demos and plein aire of course, the trays usually just stay home, sitting on my tables unless i go to a long workshop. i find it nice that even tho the situation is diff., my set up is the same, so i feel i can get the most from the workshop since i'm not also trying to adjust to my pastels being laid out differently, along with the stress of a workshop!

HarvestMoon
11-13-2006, 05:13 PM
I have a bunch of them- hands down the Heilman Pastel Box is the very best.
Linda

nvcricket
11-14-2006, 02:54 AM
Hi, I'm new to all of you, but all of you are old friends to me!!
My sister hooked me into pastels 3 months ago, when we went on two plein air excursions. She has given me a bunch of things to get started that she has duplicates of (easle, box, pastels...). A great sis. The box she gave me is an oldie she picked up in a garage sale that she doctored up. Unfortunately, some of my pastels crunched :crying:.
I broke down and ordered a Degas Pastel Box and two extra (cardboard) port-a-boxes from Jerry's over a week ago. Finally, today the port-a-boxes came.(waiting still for the pastel box). I carefully loaded one with some of my pastels. I turned it upside down and side to side, then opened it and.. ...:envy:, they all had slipped out of their little slots. The boxes are an inch thick and the foam is flimsy and thin. I have a variety of pastels, Unison, Faber-Casell, Rembrant. This is not a good thing to happen. So...I need to find something to cozy them in a bit tighter for the ride. Ideally I would like to locate some better foam, For now will resort to filling the space with cut pieces of industrial carpet???? If anyone has a better suggestion to snuggle my babies up for a ride please advise. Other than this great disappointment, the boxes are 17 inches long and 6.5 inches wide and one inch deep. The Degas box holds 4 of these. I have only enough pastels to fill up two of these boxes. I ordered the extras in hope that Saint Nick will be kind to me :angel:. My sister spent over 200 for her box, and I think once I doctor this up I will be equally satisfied.
I am getting a bit long winded, and am going to go the distance and share my excitement with you all. I have completed 2 plein air, one copy of a calander photo, and I have done a portrait of my other sisters dog. I'm awestruck with this medium. I was so happy with my first plein air that I entered it into "56 Annual Nevada Day" Show and received an honorable mention just two weeks ago! The gallery director was tremendously helpful to me, she helped me with the matting/framing process. WOW:clap::clap:I am just bowled over! I even joined the association!
I LOVE PASTELS!:heart::heart::music::music::heart::heart:
I know you all would love to see some of my art, but unfortunately I am not savvy enough to attach them right now. Need to enlist the know how from my kids to do this.
If anyone else has used the Degas Pastel Box please let me know how you prevent the pastels from damaging themselves. This is very affordable and it has the potential of being a great solution for toting my pastels around the countryside.
Eagerly anticipating a miracle solution....
Carolyn

AnnieA
11-16-2006, 11:59 AM
I was so happy with my first plein air that I entered it into "56 Annual Nevada Day" Show and received an honorable mention just two weeks ago! The gallery director was tremendously helpful to me, she helped me with the matting/framing process. WOW:clap::clap:I am just bowled over! I even joined the association![I][B][SIZE=4]
I LOVE PASTELS!:heart::heart::music::music::heart::heart:[SIZE=1]

Carolyn: it looks like somehow we missed your great news earlier! Apologies! Welcome to the WC Pastel Forum! :wave: You're starting out with a bang! Honorable Mention for your very first pastels! :thumbsup: I can't wait to see them! Congratulations, Carolyn! :clap: :clap: :clap:

As far as the Degas Pastel boxes are concerned, I'm afraid I personally have no experience with them. The foam idea sounds like a good one though: I purchased some foam for the box I use and it works just fine. You can get foam in different thickness too, to fit your needs.

I hope that your kids will help you with the photos soon - I'd love to see some of your work! Perhaps you could start a new thread with your question...and your wonderful news! We're usually a really friendly group - you'll get many more responses in your own thread - you got kinda lost here at the end of this thread, I think. ...or drop into the weekly Pastel Scumble chat thread to introduce yourself: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382383

Glad you are joining us, Carolyn! :)

nvcricket
11-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Thanks Annie,

I went over to the Soft Pastel Studio and got my start over there. My daughter helped me get the pictures to attach. Go take a peek of my peak and let me know what you think? You know it really took alot of courage for me to post my first entry. I hope it gets easier...

I finally got my Degas Pastel Box, and it is wonderful. I need to go on a hunt for foam tomorrow, as we are going plein air painting next week (mom, sister, daughter and me)!

Carol

Dusty1
11-19-2006, 12:41 AM
I just bought a empty wooden cigarbox from a tabacco store for $5 and lined it with foam...this should work for me until I decide what I want to do. I'm hoping my husband can make me a box. I went to the Heilman website and their boxes start at $200. I would rather send the money on more pastels.

I use cigar boxes too! (the one's with a catch lock on them) I fill mine partly with uncooked rice though....Cheap,flexible and always available. :thumbsup:

CLS Portrait Artist
11-25-2006, 01:42 AM
What don't you like about this Cassatt box?

http://www.dickblick.com/zz228/29/

Here's a pic of my box from back when I was using it:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2006/13766-Pastels_reorganized_500.jpg

Jamie