PDA

View Full Version : New website too! ;)

Merethe T
11-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi all!

Looks like several of us have been busy setting up our web page lately...:)
I've been planning to make one for a long time, and seeing the results others have by using the SiteKreator I jumped right into it...

Would love to get feedback on how the page works - any mistakes? Anything need correcting? I'm totally new to this, so I'm taking a trial by error approach, will probably be changing things as I learn more...

http://sitekreator.com/craviapastels/

Let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it very much! :)

BruceF
11-08-2006, 03:51 PM
The demo page should be reversed, IMHO. Start with the reference photo and step one and scroll down to the finish works better, I think.

Otherwise, the site and your artwork look terrific.

CindyW
11-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Merethe!! It looks wonderful! Look at all the lovely work now to be seen by all as it should! Very nice. :) ! It's such a feeling of accomplishment when a website is done since it's so very much about who we are.
Cindy

Bringer
11-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Hej Merethe,

You've managed to make a very complete website.
And good to look at.
If you want you can enlarge the works when one clicks them or you can make links to other galleries from images.
If you have any doubts, just ask.
The support team from sitekreator is also very helpful.

Kind regards,

Josť

Mary Brigid
11-08-2006, 07:08 PM
congratulations on your website. It looks very well. I wish you every success with it
Mary Brigid

Shari
11-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Your website is wonderful!!! I noticed in the still life section that three pics are missing but other than that it looks amazing. You do such nice work and that is a great pic of you playing the guitar.

Katherine T
11-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Cravia

You've got a lot of very goodlooking pastel paintings on your website - they deserve to be shown off!

It's a good first attempt but as with Chewie, we rarely get websites right with the first draft and there is usually always some scope for improvement.

I used to read all sorts of sites identifying best practice in putting a website together before doing mine (and I wouldn't suggest mine is in any way perfect:rolleyes:) but the following include some suggestions which may help. Feel free to ignore.
same point as Chewie re the e-mail address. If you do include it 'as is', I'd recommend making sure it's not one you use for anything else - it could end up knee deep in spam.
A WIP page is a nice idea but unfinished / under construction pages generally don't convey the right impression. If you've not completed the page keep it off the main navigation menu (uncheck the box). You want to present yourself well in terms of completed work. One of the nice things about sitekreator is that you can work on a new section or a different design behind the scenes - just so long as you don't publish that page until it's ready.
Have you thought of using the slideshow function in conjunction with the images on the WIP page. It makes for a nice effect (but would involve a redesign of how you have the images at present.
On the whole try to get all your images onto one screen with no or minimal scrolling. Given the many different sizes of screens people use these days it's really difficult to tell what it might look like on somebody else's monitor. Try looking at it on different computers - and you'll notice just how big a difference you can get!
Personally I don't like the template you've chosen. It's got a metallic flavour and that for me doesn't seem to sit well with your media or subject matter. Best practice is to find a template which is supportive of your work and does not compete with it. Your main objective should be that people notice the work and not the template. I'm afraid I kept noticing the template. Another way of looking at it is to ask yourself the question of whether you would mat all these work for a gallery exhibition with a dark elephant grey mat?
One of the draw backs with Sitekreator is the size of the normal font - which IMO is a bit too small. You can increase it in size. However small fonts on a very dark background are incredibly difficult to read - especially by those who could do with a bit of help in the "reading small print on computer screens" department. I gave up trying to read your bio - just because of the size. However shorter paragraphs would make it easier to read. I'd stroongly recommend always testing your website with at least one person who doesn't have 100% 20/20 vision who will 'tell it like it is' rather than tell you what they think you'd like to hear.
Have you thought about key words and a site description yet? You need to complete your site properties page - you haven't got any key words (meta tags) or a site description yet - and you need those in place to aid the friendly search engine spiders to find your site. Otherwise it could become a site which only gets looked at by those people you personally give the address to. (see what I said in Chewie's thread re the site properties page). In this connection I'd get the site description which is under the image on the home page up and under your name at the tope of the page to improve the chances of these getting picked up. Also try using the headings for titles - you've got a choice of two.You'll find that you will probably tweak the site quite a bit for the first few months after which it tends to settle down. Personally I think there's a lot to be said for trying things out and taking things slowly in website construction. You are after all representing yourself and your art and that always deserves a bit of time and reflection.

Piper Ballou
11-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Merethe...I really like your web site...looks great.
easy to move around in, looking forward to updates on it as you go
piper

Dark_Shades
11-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey Merethe....... absolutely lovely to see all your works on display........ loved looking around ....... especially reading about you on your Me page...... and finally getting to see you ....... WOW

Always loads to learn with websites..... but you've got a great start...... you have something up on the Net and for people to go see .....

Ohhhhhh and thank you so much for the link too ........ now I can link back to you :)
Well done

AnnieA
11-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Merethe: Good job! It's another very professional looking website, that shows off your work and seems easy to navigate. I would suggest one possible update, and that's to add titles to the works (right now I only see the paper type and size under each one). I think it would be easier for people wishing to buy a work if you did so.

I especially like a couple of the still lifes you've done: the closeup of the red grapes and the green grapes with the green coffee cup are especially nice.

Congrats on your new site!

Edited to add: At first, the "Still Life" page loaded just fine, and looked great, but then it sort of "jumped" and the images moved around, and I now notice that it looks like the images are no longer aligned with the descriptions that were initially below each work. I thought you would want to know - it's probably a glitch that can be easily corrected.