PDA

View Full Version : How add Gloss (glaze/varnish/medium/gel)?

asnowfall
11-05-2006, 03:21 PM
My Acrylic works look dull; I want to make them vibrant.
I have read about glaze/varnish/medium/gel and counfused what to use, when to use and which product to buy; I see Golden providing many options.

I understand that I can make "painting" vibrant
1) by mixing "colours" with a glossy medium at the time of painting.
2) by applying some "coating" after the compleation of paint work. If this method is practical then I can use it for my already compleated, dull looking work.

I have researched enought to get confused instead of understading.
I think "Golden Polymer Medium (Gloss)" and "Golden ACRYLIC GLAZING LIQUID" can be used in method 1. I do not know the difference b/w "Golden Polymer Medium (Gloss)" and "Golden ACRYLIC GLAZING LIQUID".

Please let me know what are the differences between methods 1 & 2.
It would help me if you suggest me product, preferably Golden(reason being they have many options), that I should buy for method 1 & 2. FYI. I have "Golden Soft Gel" is there any use for it?

One more related question is, What is the difference between Varnishing & glazing? and
Are Varnishing & glazing are designed for protection or to provide gloss at post-painting stage?

Thanks a lot :-)
Ramesh

Lady Carol
11-05-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't know what polmer medium is.
However, I do share your frustration in the lack of luminosity of the colours once they are dry.
I use the following method when I finish my paintings.
To a completed painting, paint two coats of gloss glazing medium (I use Golden) over the top. Of course allow each to dry. Then two coats of gloss varnish (again I use Golden). The painting is restored to the way it looks when the paint is wet. I am extremely satisfied by this method and it is simple.

Varnishing is the top coat for protection of the paint, whereas glazing is a technique. The two are not interchangeable.

timelady
11-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I use polymer medium during my painting. It is just a medium, and will thin out the paint. I use it instead of glazing medium because I don't like the retarder in glazing medium. So if you're using it simple for gloss I would say no. It will change the way you are painting.

Sounds like your best option is the varnish. First you would use a medium, such as the Soft Gel, to 'seal' the painting so to speak. The medium provides a layer that is a barrier before the varnish in case the varnish needs to be removed layer. A medium is NOT the same as a varnish and doesn't provide the same protection. So finally you need the varnish on top as a true protective layer which also happens to give you the finish you prefer, gloss. :D (I use a matte medium because that's the finish I prefer.) Carol's technique is spot on: layers of medium such as Soft Gel and then layers of varnish. She uses two, I actually only use one layer of each.

Tina.

asnowfall
11-05-2006, 11:44 PM
I use polymer medium during my painting. It is just a medium, and will thin out the paint. I use it instead of glazing medium because I don't like the retarder in glazing medium. So if you're using it simple for gloss I would say no. It will change the way you are painting.

You said "...polymer medium.... It is just a medium...... So if you're using it simple for gloss I would say no..."
Are you saying that "polymer medium" is just a thinner and does not introduce any gloss? Please clarify

Sounds like your best option is the varnish. First you would use a medium, such as the Soft Gel, to 'seal' the painting so to speak. The medium provides a layer that is a barrier before the varnish in case the varnish needs to be removed layer. A medium is NOT the same as a varnish and doesn't provide the same protection. So finally you need the varnish on top as a true protective layer which also happens to give you the finish you prefer, gloss. :D (I use a matte medium because that's the finish I prefer.) Carol's technique is spot on: layers of medium such as Soft Gel and then layers of varnish. She uses two, I actually only use one layer of each.
Tina.

I presume you are referring to MSA varnish.

Thank you very much
Ramesh

asnowfall
11-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I don't know what polmer medium is.
However, I do share your frustration in the lack of luminosity of the colours once they are dry.
I use the following method when I finish my paintings.
To a completed painting, paint two coats of gloss glazing medium (I use Golden) over the top. Of course allow each to dry. Then two coats of gloss varnish (again I use Golden). The painting is restored to the way it looks when the paint is wet. I am extremely satisfied by this method and it is simple.

Varnishing is the top coat for protection of the paint, whereas glazing is a technique. The two are not interchangeable.

Thank for clarifying the terms Varnishing/glazing, it has reduced my confusion :-)