PDA

View Full Version : Modern art + Selling/Pricing?

yuffie
11-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Hi all :) I've got back into painting, I've been painting modern art - having lots of fun with my palette knife. I took a photo of one with my webcam just so you can get an idea; but the colours look much duller in the photo, and it's not clear at all. My digital camera is broken :|

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2006/61911-mod1.jpg

I have a question: how do you go about selling your art, and also how to price it. Are there any guidelines to follow when pricing art, apart from size? I really have no idea what I should do. So far I've had good feedback on my paintings, so hopefully I can sell something. That would be excellent, since me and my fiance just bought a place to live and I could do with the extra cash since I'm not working.

Lady Carol
11-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Pricing is very subjective and there are no hard and fast formulas (sorry). A lot if it depends on where you live, the size of the piece, your experience, what you have sold in the past, if you are selling through a gallery, etc. The people who have given you feedback, are they friends and family? Bear in mind that these people are most likely to be biased. I am not implying that your work is hossible or anything like that at all, but they do not have an objective opinion. Once you start slogging around galleries, you will get a better idea as to whether your art is saleable. Galleries want to know if you have sold and most likely will not pick you up unless you have a proven marketable product. One way to get exposure is to get your art juried for a show and selling through the show. You can start to get sales under your belt by talking about your art to anyone who will listen and getting commissions.

For pricing, I started out by basing the price of my paintings on the square inch but now it is based on whether it is framed or not, and a number of other factors based on the history of what I have sold in the past, etc.