PDA

View Full Version : Week 45 Classical Art Journey

Nickel
11-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi and welcome to week 45 of our classical art journey! :wave:
We hope you'll join us!
Any media is welcomed!

So where will we go this week?

You are all invited to share a journey to Paris the City of Light!
Let's time travel back to 1860-1900.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2006/39040-americans_in_paris_big.jpg

Madame X
Madame Pierre Gautreau
John Singer Sargent

Online Gallery Tour

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/Americans_in_Paris/index.asp

Hope you all have a great week and make art!

Nickel

Granby
11-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi Nickel,

What a great link. My two favorites were both by artists I've never heard of.

Charles Courtney Curran (1861–1942)

Afternoon in the Cluny Garden, Paris, 1889

Thomas Hovenden (1840–1895)

In Hoc Signo Vinces (In this Sign Shalt Thou Conquer), 1880

My selection for the week is all done but I'm not near a scanner so It'll have to wait til morning-but I finally found something to use some colored inks on.

Here is a random art thought I've been pondering to open the floor for discussion.

1: Is Ingres highly over rated - I'm beginning to think the answer is yes. Could he capture a great likeness-yes: so could many others like Sir Peter Lely for example. Could he paint great drapery-yes, but not better than Fragonard. Has there ever been a more boring painting of naked women than his famous bathing one - I say no.

Just food for thought - and I'm allowed to change my current opinion at a later date.

azulparsnip
11-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Nickel....what is going on here?? Sounds like we are to copy the work of art you post (or one of our choosing) in any medium some time during the week and then post it?? I think that is it.......and I will join in.... It will be a nice break from the perspective studies I'm doing in 101.

this link is great I will have to look at it by degrees (time restrictions) I know my husband will love it.

Thanks for the food for thought Granby....I will be looking at these artists.......and changing opinions are cool.......

Granby
11-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Hello All,

Here is my study of the week. After 'Jupiter and Juno' by Annibale Carracci. I can't fint a decent image of the original on the web so I posted my reference copy alongside as well. (black and red chalk, colored inks, on decent paper).

There are several things I love about this original image. The sculptural quality of the figures is incredible. Hera's right bicep is huge, she's a tough lady + the renduring of the musculature on both figures is insanely good. The puppy dog look of excellent but strained sincerity on Zeus's face is priceless.

Random Quiz: The blind poet Homer always reffered to Hera as 'white armed Hera', why was this such a lovely complement?

( Mony, I am relieved as well to not be the sole member of the grid haters club)

Take care everyone

Nickel
11-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi yah Azulparsnip, welcome and come on and join us.
You are most welcome to study anything I post or one of your choice in a manner of classical, traditional, realistic, naturalistic, impression, line, mass, study in charcoal, chalk, oil paint, watercolor, computer generated, silverpoint, quickie, small, big,little, huge, nude or not nude.
Sometimes we do things from life, maybe a self-portrait, study different museums exhibits,
have fun, post pictures of our cats and doggies, trips, jokes, talk about food, life, eat popcorn, etc., so it's a good place.

It will be a nice break from the perspective studies I'm doing in 101.
You could post some of these here if you want;)

We are a very nice, good, small group of people trying to learn from history, academic, Old Masters,etc. to make good art, use good techniques, learn composition , lol, perspective studies are here too, no rest for the student of art! :)

We make art and study together as friends helping friends.

It will be delightful to have your company here in our
classical journey! Nickel

Mony G
11-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi , all of you... and welcome to Azulparsnip... have a good time here... I do !:clap: :thumbsup:
I'll have to look at Nickel's link when I can.. there are a lot of good artists I have never heard of! ... the reason of my ignorance is perhaps because I'm living in Italy? :rolleyes:

The Carracci one is great.. I didn't know this one either ... I sure must be really ignorant then! .. there are no excuses this time !:o ... and Granby's study is well done ... you got the expression on Jupiter's face very well!
I'm still working on some female nude studies.. hope to be able to catch up and join you with something new!

...well bye for now!

Mony

azulparsnip
11-06-2006, 09:11 PM
okay, and thanks for the warm welcome.

Granby your study is good. I like the depth of his face.

I give up , why is calling Hera the white armed a compliment???

Granby
11-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi Azulparsnip and welcome to the weekly journey threads,

The answer..She was the queen, and lived in the palace, and never had to toil out in the sun like those lesser goddesses.

This same question baffled me for a long time, the person who told me the answer said they knew it from studying french. I confirmed it with some classical scholar experts who said that was exactly right. I can't remember exactly why studying french was the key, maybe there was a similar compliment in the french language but I'm just guessing.

Nickel
11-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Granby, I can't help but think of Madonna with your painting, hehe,
the one that sings. Very nice and thanks for intro to a new work!
Hi Mony!
Hi Azulparsnip!
Nickel is running around today, It's Election Day!
Don't forget to vote if you can.
Funny,
I'm fixing to do Ingres.....:)

Granby
11-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Nickel, - don't get me wrong - I think Ingres is a fine artist.:)

Mony - knock it off with the ignorance stuff. A famous american cowboy once said 'Everybody is ignorant, just in different things'.

I happen to know little about art, but I do have a knack for finding and liking obscure things. Every now and then I try to do a study of some obscure find just so I can introduce it to others if they may be interested - its my own strange way of kind of trying to contribute to this forum since I don't have the skill or knowledge of many of the people here.

Post some of your studies. I love looking at peoples work, even if its not perfect - I know mine are not. I learn so much from everyone here, ever since you did the Botticelli sketch on yellow paper I have been looking all over for some good yellow paper - with no luck yet. You never know when you might influence someone or give them a piece of the puzzle they missed.

Plus, Nickel might give out participation prizes at the end of the year...

Take care everyone..

Nickel
11-08-2006, 06:45 AM
Lol, cyber cookies :)
Hey Granby, your self-portrait is cool!
Your a cutie!
Last night, worked preparing for my study of Ingres.
To say the least, I'm not a French Academic.
It to me is kind of like learning html code, a pain in the hmmm
Not necessary to make a web page today.
But it's good to know a little about basic html in case you need it.

Mony G
11-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Nickel, - don't get me wrong - I think Ingres is a fine artist.:)

Mony - knock it off with the ignorance stuff. A famous american cowboy once said 'Everybody is ignorant, just in different things'.

I happen to know little about art, but I do have a knack for finding and liking obscure things. Every now and then I try to do a study of some obscure find just so I can introduce it to others if they may be interested - its my own strange way of kind of trying to contribute to this forum since I don't have the skill or knowledge of many of the people here.

Post some of your studies. I love looking at peoples work, even if its not perfect - I know mine are not. I learn so much from everyone here, ever since you did the Botticelli sketch on yellow paper I have been looking all over for some good yellow paper - with no luck yet. You never know when you might influence someone or give them a piece of the puzzle they missed.

Plus, Nickel might give out participation prizes at the end of the year...

Take care everyone..

Hi again, all of you !

:wave:

at last I managed to do something with a really "classical touch".. after a few unsuccessful attempts I managed to finish this study from the very famous hands from the Sistina Chapel ( good old Michelangelo, I love you, although I've always prefered Leo).this one is on my usual light yellow paper... It's graphite and watercolour pencils .
Granby, I would have never thought to have influenced somebody... I enjoy taking part to this forum.. it's really fun and we are a great bunch! I also enjoy the way you can introduce us to new things.. I discovered a lot of interesting stuff since I started here , mostly about American art ... we have so much to learn here already about Italian and European ones that we often forget about American artists !
and there is so much to learn from them too!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2006/77963-File0634www.jpg

well, I'll keep you updated further on on my nude studies.. I love drawing the figure, it's my favourite subject, and I'm practising a lot lately!

:thumbsup: Mony

azulparsnip
11-08-2006, 02:39 PM
hey Granby I thought of that (about not being in the sun) but I thought it had to be something mysterious and ephermeral since we were dealing with gods and such......hummph!!

I am going to do a couple of studies one with line and one with mass ( aka, H.Speed) and then a painting of Sargents Madame X in the next day or two.

Just been cutting on a lino (Christmas card) it is not done yet either....

Gotta check out Ingres, I am ignorant on that guy or is it la femme

Good study, Mony.....

Yes Nickel, I did vote .

later...

azulparsnip
11-08-2006, 05:34 PM
okay - here is a line and a mass study of Sargent's Madame X

hope to get a watercolor of it done tommorrow---:rolleyes:

azulparsnip
11-08-2006, 05:36 PM
As I did this I really drew alot from the tips Harold Speed gave...drawing both sides of the figure, using lines, looking for flat or squared surfaces....it was great......

Nickel
11-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Good Morning busy bees!

Hi Mony, your hands turned out beautiful!
I've always thought the very famous hands from the Sistina Chapel
was just hard to put into words, maybe just powerful would
be a place to start. Your lucky to have so many great places
to see good art in person. I know America has much to offer,
we are spread out over a large area. Thank goodness for
the internet. The world is at our fingertips.

Azulparsnip wow, look at your studies! These are great!
I can't wait to see your
watercolor Madame X. She is a favorite. :)

Hi Granby, Barb, Rose and Tyree!
Wonder Tyree is eating for breakfast today?

Have a good day!

Granby
11-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi All,
Mony - excellent job on the hands - it looks just like one of those old master sketches. I especially like how some hatching is visible and it doesn't look overblended.

Azulparsnip - great studies, I've always admired people with the discipline to do these kinds of studies.

Another fun type of study beside the contrast of line/tone is the contrast between curved and straight lines. I read about this in a book titled 'the natural way to draw'. Basically what you do is look for a curved line and draw it, then look for a straight line to draw which balances the curve, then pick another curve, another straight etc..alternating back and forth till you're done. It sounded goofy to me when I read it but it works really well at helping understand a piece, several times I've found curved or straight lines somewhere that I would have overlooked completely otherwise.

I see a lot of curved/straight balances in this madameX picture , I photoshopped some of them to try and get a visual of something that is difficult to explain.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2006/81936-Madame_X.jpg

Take care everyone

Nickel
11-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Granby what a great demo for lines! I like it!
Thanks bunches!