PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor murals

Laura McBride
11-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I've been painting indor murals for quite a while now and have found acrylics perfect for it. However, I've just been asked to paint an outdoor mural and I'm not entirely sure what paint to use. Is it best to use acrylics and some kind of fixer or to use something completely different, ie. special outdoor paints? I'd like to keep the costs as low as possible.

Thanks.

objectivistartist
11-03-2006, 12:16 PM
No matter what paint ye use, outdoor painting will not last forever - figure maybe 20 years or so, depending on weather..... with that in mind, when i did outdoor murals, used acrylic enamels - but again, this all depends on what ye be painting on [wood, concrete, etc - makes tremendous difference]... once the grounding was done and sealed so no sucking in of the paint, the rest is matter of durability to weather - and as said, found enamel to be best, and used acrylic for ease of cleaning... any clear coating over, at least in the works I did, never held much without going over time and again every so often..... but craveat - this was over 30 years ago, so maybe new stuff now available...

Robert

dreamz
11-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Laura this question has been discussed in the Decorative Arts section of WC, theres a great group of muralists there. Some of the new latex paint formulas like duralock and loxzon have very long life spans for outdoor use.