PDA

View Full Version : worth of art instruction videos re oil for acrylic

Peter G
11-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi members
I have looked at many insruction DVD's and must say have gained a fair bit of benefit from them over time.
Acrylic instruction DVD's are fairly rare compared to oils and watercolour therefore I am pushed to view oil painting demos in a lot of cases. I must say that is just as enjoyable.
My question to the forum is this, can we appliy the pricipals of oil paining shown on the instructional DVD's to the medium of acrylic painting. My own feeling is in most instances yes but I would be interested in the thoughts of forum members

Cheers
Peter G

dreamz
11-03-2006, 04:43 AM
I think many techniques can be used in various mediums

Charlie's Mum
11-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Hi Peter - I'd say try what you like .. if it works, it works ... no hard and fast rules!
There don't seem to be as many "Purists" in acrylics as in the older media.

greyart
11-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Have you seen the "Simply painting" series? It's Frank something, he's Irish. He has acrylic still life, landscape, and seascape DVDs. I'm in the middle of the landscape one.

WRoget
11-03-2006, 08:08 PM
I think that most, if not all, of the oil painting techniques have an equivalent in acrylics - which would make oil painting instructional videos and books relevant to acrylic painting as long as you know correspondences - that this or that medium in acrylic is equivalent to this or that medium in oils.

Oil painting does have a technique of refreshing nearly dry, previously applied paint layer (say yesterday's work) by wetting it with an oil, for which there isn't a real analog in acrylics.

Johnnie
11-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi

Check out http://www.yarnellart.com/ for Acrylic videos.. They are quite reasonable.. I have a few of them.

Johnnie

dspinks
11-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Yarnell's acrylic videos are terrific. I don't particularly like his painting style, but he uses clear, concise language to describe what he is doing and to give technical advice that I've been able to apply to working in both acrylics and oils.

Debra