PDA

View Full Version : White Cosmos

amaze_1101
11-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi peeps:wave:

Well I've just finsihed this one and it's not my favourite by a lonnnnng shot. I guess one can't like everything one does and there's no point in getting frustrated or negative about it. Best to move quickly on and do better next time.
I'm showing it because I think it good to get opinions about my not so good work as well as the better stuff. So if you have C&Cs you can let me have it between the eyes!

24" x 30" stretched canvas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2006/41055-Cosmos_sml.jpg

ponting
11-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Elaine I think this is wonderful. What is it about it that you aren't 100 percent happy with? :thumbsup:

Cheers, Dianna

debsn2paintn
11-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Elaine, you are so funny! I think it looks good, in my opinion that type of flower just doesn't look as good as other types of flowers, painted. I think you did a great job on it!

gurleygirl
11-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, I think it's beautiful!!
Tracey

Lady Carol
11-02-2006, 08:56 PM
The flower is exceptionally nice and beautifully detailed. I think the background lets it done somewhat by the lack of detail. I know that does pull the flower forward but it seems that there could be more information with the leaves.

Margaret 59
11-02-2006, 10:04 PM
When I saw the title I was dying to see the painting and wasn't disappointed Elaine. We're used to seeing all your greenery in detail too but it's just lovely as is.

rmc
11-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Let us have it Elaine - I see fabulous colouring and shape and depth in the flower :clap: :clap: - agree the foliage is a tiny bit less attractive visually - hey but that is what the humble flower got given :lol: so....... What would you do differently?

texana6
11-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Elaine, I'm with the others ... what is there NOT to love about this painting? I think white flowers are v-e-r-y difficult and it seems to me that you pulled it off in spades!

Linda Wolff

Jo Castillo
11-03-2006, 12:44 AM
The title got me, too. I have tried cosmos several times and they are soooo hard to get the delicate look they have. This is just beautiful. Nice presentation of the white flower. The leaves are a little small to me, but gosh I like the flower.
Jo

amurphy
11-03-2006, 10:01 AM
This is beautiful. The flower is beautiful....the leaves and small flowers are all good.
Having stared at it for a while and trying to figure out what it is thats not making it work for you. It could be the brown/orange tones of the background. The contrast, of the background, to the nice darks ......Purples, yellows, blues...... in the flower, is distracting from it. The more I look at it, I think that could be it.......
Tone down that background and the flower will "pop"
There! I let you have it between the eyes........

Audrey

amaze_1101
11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Good morning guys
It's great to wake up to such helpful critque from you. Thanks for the great comments. It definitely is the background that is troubling me the most. The foliage doesn't help either but I'm kind of caught between a rock and a hard place in that in reality cosmos foliage is rather weedy and doesn't have much in the way of form or texture. I really didn't know how to render it well and what I've done isn't working so good. But the main problem is exactly what Aurdrey suggests. The browny orange colours in the background are distracting and need toning back. I will take another look at it today and see what can be done.

It often takes a fresh eye and new way of thinking to get better results. Thanks for being there!
:thumbsup: :wave: :cat:

ben151suz
11-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Personally I wouldn't touch it. I think it's the type of piece which has longevity - the flower is in your face but, over time it diminishes so that you then catch up with the small background details. I love the fact that you didn't use blue as the background as would be expected - I love the rust.

Suzanne

dreamz
11-03-2006, 06:12 PM
This one doesn't have your usual lumenositie, other than that... the flower its self is stunning, perhaps if the companion flowers and background were softened? What ever you decide Im sure will be amazing

Kerch
11-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Very nice painting. I like the shadows on the flower, and all the different colours you used to paint a 'white' flower.

Serenity
11-06-2006, 06:11 AM
First impression - LOVED it! :thumbsup:

amaze_1101
11-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi again. Thanks for the comments.

Well I puddled with the background to reduce the business. (Sorry Suzanne I took out some of the rust you liked.) I think this is better but it still isn't where I want it to be. I'm going to let it sit a month or two. I may paint out the background completely and give it a totaly new look, or then again I might paint over the whole lot and start again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Nov-2006/41055-Cosmos_Painting_3_003_sml.jpg

Thanks again for all the feedback!:wave:

NAZZ
11-06-2006, 03:02 PM
The bkg seems to be copied from a photograph (like u did a macro on the flower) and/or u seemed to have gotten bored and quickly blurred together a few appropriate colors. maybe working from a few additional photos with details could do the trick. i don't think working the bkg would take away from the cosmos. it's very beautifully rendered and the softness of the white with the heavy texture of the yellow center work very well together.
okay, i'm looking at it again... try removing the pale brick colors from the left and bottom right for starters. the little goup in the top right corner bring the eye back into the painting. the other two just are a distraction. try covering them up with your fingers. it already looks good and that may be all u need. good luck!

NAZZ
11-06-2006, 03:04 PM
hey u already did it! that was quick;) (of course ignore my previous post)
looks fantastic:thumbsup:

Serenity
11-06-2006, 04:15 PM
I agree, Elaine, the changes to the background have made an improvement. :thumbsup:

Jo Castillo
11-06-2006, 11:51 PM
It pops not with the changes. Very, very nice.

Later,
Jo

rmc
11-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Elaine - you have just been looking too closely at it -the main flower is a masterpiece white - with so much going on colourwise and movement of the petals - The littler flowers have your trademark light / detail just enough to keep them in the background and the warmer colours in the background keep it singing - If only I could paint like this - holding out hope that it is contagious!!!!!!!!

Charlie's Mum
11-07-2006, 01:30 PM
The main flower is just ..... a beauty!
Luminous, bright white cosmos caught in the sun ........ and they do have these flimsy little leaves, so ........ I wondered if it was the disparity in the size of the flowers behind, and the 'spottiness' aspect which might be bugging you? ......... bur hey, I'd put up with many little discrepancies to have this!
:clap::clap::clap:

Marge Wms
11-09-2006, 08:43 AM
HI, Elaine.. Love your Cosmos.. trying to figure out what it is that is bothering YOU about it... Could it be the difference in size of the background cosmos and the focal point? I like the colors and think you are really fine with the foilage and the rest of the background colors. Gigi

amaze_1101
11-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks Gigi & Maureen I think you both could be right. I'm thinking I'll re-work the whole background eventually. For now though I've put it aside and I'm working on another completely different painting. I think it's better that way because it clears the mind of all the cosmos clutter and when I go back to look at it I'll see it much clearer.

Thanks Ruth. Be seeing you in a week or so!:thumbsup:

Thanks Serena, Jo and Nazz:wave:

gnu
11-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Hey I'LL be seeing both you and Ruth too next week. :D YAY.....my treat too, since you guys are forking out for the workshop.sigh, wish I had!! Save your appetite for dessert.....
I love this, you know I am leaning towards blurring the background even more if you're not happy. And the little white flower makes me jump back and forth, perhaps it needs to be less white? cream even? because right now its more contrast than the main flower, which to me is like a ballet dancer...lovely...I want to try a cosmos now... :D :D :clap: :thumbsup: