PDA

View Full Version : Black Mats

prettytulips
11-02-2006, 01:47 PM
I have a roommate who is in art school and I was looking at Sharis abstract that I bought wondering what color mat to put with it. He said Black because black makes you look at the painting more so than the mat... but I can't see how. He said it's the classic mat, but maybe because he's an illustrator?

What do you guys think of black mats with vibrant art? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

bluefish
11-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Black mats go very well with bright, bold floral paintings like sunflowers, poppies, etc. You can use black or gold frames - a more modern approach than the staid white/off white mat!

PeggyB
11-02-2006, 02:16 PM
I have a roommate who is in art school and I was looking at Sharis abstract that I bought wondering what color mat to put with it. He said Black because black makes you look at the painting more so than the mat... but I can't see how. He said it's the classic mat, but maybe because he's an illustrator?

What do you guys think of black mats with vibrant art? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Classic? I've not heard of black as a classic color for mats so maybe it is either a regional thing or as you mentioned, an illustrator thing. Black with pen & ink or charcoal drawings makes sense to me, but not colored paintings of any sort unless black is a predominate color.

What I learned is never use any mat value lighter or darker than the lightest or darkest value in the painting, and to look for the predominate painting color if not using white/off white (which is the classic color for paintings - just look in the museums!).

Another thing I learned is generally speaking, abstracts don't need any mat. This is a print you have (and I'd bet a really nice one too as I remember that painting) so you might consider using an extra wide frame if you want to make it larger. However, all the acrylic abstracts on canvas I ever did were framed with very narrow metal or wood lattice strips. You might consider a Nielson frosted silver frame if you have silver in the room where it will be hung or a soft frosted gold if you have gold (they come in various widths) or even a narrow black gloss if that works better for you. This may be "cheating", but you could also go to a framer (or 2 or 3) and ask how they'd suggest you frame it. Then tell them you need to think about it if the price they quote stops your heart! :lol:

Peggy

PeggyB
11-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Looks as though Blue and I cross posted. He's right too - black with bold large florals can be lovely, but the print you have doesn't fit that description.

Peggy

Goewyn
11-02-2006, 02:22 PM
I use black mats with all my work, and I really like the effect it has, it really makes the pictures stand out, much more than any other color mat I've tried.

-- Linda

CindyW
11-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Kelly,
In graphics work, when I need to present multiple graphic image choices to clients, I spraymount the images to black mattboard and leave a border of the black matt to show 3-5 inches around. The black helps set these lighter images I've spraymounted apart from table tops, walls, and whiteboards that the images are shown against since there is alot of white and bright light reflecting in an office setting.... and the black works great for this use.
But, I haven't used black for matting in my own personal fine art work as it wouldn't be appealing visually, and even if I create vibrant brilliant colorful abstracts I know I wouldn't use black because it's too heavy a feel for me personally. In fact, I think I'm getting away from matting, going for the no matt look. Just my two cents, not advice! :)
I also agree with Peggy's thoughts....a light matt with a thin black frame is classic and classy with an abstract as well as pen and ink, contrasty types of artwork.
I understand your roommate's thinking tho'....black as a background matt does push an image forward. You gotta really be happy with your matt so it's an entirely personal choice.
Cindy

Shari
11-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Kelly, I just framed that piece for my show that starts tomorrow and I used a cream color matt, 3" around and 3 1/2" on the bottom, with a wood frame that is an orangish color and it looks great; the wood is a color that brings out the orange in the painting. I will try to get a pic for you at the show. Peggy's right though, the print wouldn't need a matt. I wouldn't uses black, too strong in my opinion.

prettytulips
11-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks all... I agree black is heavy. I'd love to see your final picture with it framed so I can see. I was thinking of using photoshop to figure out color. I like colored mats but if the white looks good....

Shari
11-02-2006, 09:03 PM
If you take a pic of the print and load it into your computer, or I can send you one, then you can go to www.pictureframes.com, click on personal frame shop, and download the pic. Then you can try different mats and frames and see how it looks online.