PDA

View Full Version : FND.....sunset with tree

onefromheaven
03-30-2002, 10:35 PM
This was done for the FND, I changed afew things from the ref pic, 14"x21", acrylic on paper. All comments and critique welcome and appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2002/sunsettree.JPG

onefromheaven
03-30-2002, 10:39 PM
This was the reference picture.........Wingnuts FNDMar/29/02

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2002/wingsfnd329sunset.jpg

Loxley
03-30-2002, 11:00 PM
kokopelli, This is a wonderful acrylic, it looks like a watercolor. I love that look. Your painting is much much better than the ref photo you used. Great work here. Most people use Acrylics to look like poster paint, what a difference you have made. :clap: :clap:

onefromheaven
03-30-2002, 11:05 PM
sgore, What a nice compliment, thank you very much:) I started painting in watercolor so I think the influence stayed with me when I moved on to acrylics. There were alot of great sunsets in the FND though.:)

momsyward
03-31-2002, 01:20 AM
I love this painting. Please tell me what a kokepelli is? I got a postcard called kokepelli and my daughter just brought me back a beautiful T shirt from Colorado with a kokepelli. Anyway, I too like this one better than the reference.

Geoff
03-31-2002, 01:31 AM
Good painting and, I too, like the way you've used Acrylic as watercolour...

mf.sutton
03-31-2002, 04:53 AM
nicely done, very atmospheric - Mike:clap:

onefromheaven
03-31-2002, 07:08 AM
Hi, Mike, Geoff and momsy, Thank you :) I am a Kokopelli fan so here's the scoop!

KoKopelli is: Ancient Hopi Indian God of Powerful Communication and fertility

About Kokopelli

In ancient Indian legend, Kokopelli the flute player was the symbol of happiness and joy. He talked to the wind and the sky. His flute could be heard in the Spring breeze, bringing warmth after the winter cold.

Kokopelli embodies everything pure and spiritual about music. He was also thought of as a fertility god and traveling prankster. He would visit villages playing his flute, carrying his songs on his back. Everyone would sing and dance the night away. In the morning, when he left, the crops were plentiful and all the women were pregnant.

There are many stories of Kokopelli. One is that he is responsible for the end of winter and the coming of spring. Native American legend has it that when the Kokopelli comes playing his flute the Sun comes out, the snow melts, the green grass grows, the birds come out and begin to sing, and all the animals gather around to hear his songs.Kokopelli and his flute bring the Spring out of the Winter.

Kokopelli's female counterpart is Kokopelli Mana. I should have signed up as his female counterpart, but was in such a hurry to join WC I didn't think and didn't want to confuse anyone by changing now.:)

gladysharon
03-31-2002, 12:03 PM
All I have to say..."WOW"!!

This is a well-painted piece of landscape!!

Well-control of medium!!

:clap: :clap:

Caron
03-31-2002, 12:36 PM
I too like the effect you got here Kokopelli....it has a very omnious quality about it which your rendition of the tree certainly compliments! I too like this better then the photo. It gives a feeling of solitude and closure..:) Very nice!!!
And thanks for that history lesson! We have a restaurant here named that and I hear it advertised on the radio in here all day. I no longer will thing of the restaurant when I come across your posts!!

And your tinyhead is really sweet!!

onefromheaven
03-31-2002, 07:57 PM
Glady, thanks for the kind words.

Caron, Thanks very much. I'm glad you liked the tiny and the Kokopelli story.:)

paintergirl
04-01-2002, 01:20 PM
Wow...your picture is much nicer then the photo! Strong colors and effect...no critique here except to say I find that picture beautiful and that your colors really set the tone of the piece.

I have a problem with buckling and or rippling when trying to use acrylics in a lighter technique...any suggestions?

onefromheaven
04-01-2002, 02:22 PM
Paintergirl,
I encounter the buckling as well but let it dry in between or use a hairdryer to speed things up a little. Thanks for the compliment, skies are alot of fun to do this way.:)

lunajen
04-02-2002, 01:39 AM
Yeah definitely better than the reference picture :). It has something the photo really doesn't have. Very nice painting.

onefromheaven
04-02-2002, 10:48 AM
Thanks Lunagen,
Of all of the pictures I have painted I only have a few that I like. I am still learning and trying to develop a style of my own.