PDA

View Full Version : Oil steps applied to acrylic..

Caron
03-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Ive recently bought a book on painting but 90% of the instructions are referred to in oils. I paint in acrylic. Can I follow the same steps outlined but substitute a blending medium for linseed oil/turp mix for washes and a glaze medium for the glazing? Also does anyone know what I would brush over the surface to wet it for the steps that state that are wet into wet? With the acrylics drying so fast, how would I tackle this stage?? I appreciate any help you can offer.

Einion
03-30-2002, 09:20 PM
Hi Caron, one of the good things about acrylics is that they don't have to be painted according to any set routines, but you can of course paint with them in a simulated oil layering methed if you want, many people paint with them in this way to some extent.

Washes can be thinned just with water, but if you like to work a surface quite heavily with the brush you might prefer to add some acrylic medium to increase adhesion to help prevent rubbing off the imprimatura from the high spots of any texture on the support (although some people like this effect). Glazes can also be made with water and medium, or just pure medium, depending on the consistency you're seeking and the original viscosity of the medium. I would recommend gloss medium over matt for this as it gives the most luminous results and looks more like oils.

Working wet into wet really means working wet paint into wet paint, not just on a wet surface. It goes without saying that this is difficult in acrylics and personally I think if you want to work this way extensively you really should work in oils and not fight an inherent 'weakness' of acrylics, their fast drying time. If you do want to try this, this simplest method is to just work really quickly and maybe give the surface of the painting an occassional spritz with water, you can also blend retarders into the paint to slow drying but you have to watch how much you add quite carefully to prevent problems. The best method I've heard of is described on the Golden website where you keep the back of the canvas wet which keeps the paint on the surface workable for long periods, definitely worth a look.

Hope this helps,
Einion