PDA

View Full Version : Overworking pastels?

Jeane09
11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
What do people mean when they say a pastel painting looks overworked?

I like blending and layering a lot with soft pastels, using a method I learned in school that mimicks oil painting. I notice that a lot of pastelists paint with a more impressionist style- laying colors next to each other and not blending much. I'm beginning to wonder if my pastel paintings look overworked, because I blend so much?

You can see close up details on my work if you go to this (http://jeanenevarez.com/Subcon/Old%20Lady%20Crane%20page.html) portfolio and click "zoom" in the bottom right below each image. (The colors might look more saturated than they actually are) I'd appreciate hearing what people think of this...

Jeane :)

Jeane Nevarez Art (http://www.jeanenevarez.com)
Art by Jeane Nevarez (http://www.jeaneart.blogspot.com)

chrismoose
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
hi.

i like your piece! i dont think its overworked. and i dont think that the term overworked is suitable anyway, as its all based on ones own preferences, and as long as the pastel still goes onto the paper, use it as much or as little as you want.:) it just depends on your style. there are plenty of 'blenderers' out there.
regards.
chris.

needtopaint
11-01-2006, 05:25 PM
I totally ditto the response from Chris. I don't believe in "rules" when it comes to Fine Arts. Your own personal style is what makes you your own unique artist. I don't blend at all and yet I love your drawings. Your subject matter is fascinating as well. Keep up the great work.

Christine

Bringer
11-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Hi Jeane,

Overworked means too much worked. Right ?
So, even the most simple drawing can be overworked.
For insteance a figure movement scketch can result overworked.
I wouldn't call Canalleto's or Raphael's paintings overworked. And do they have work on them !

I took a look at your site and liked your style alot.
If you don't know her check Christina Vergano's work. Her style is in the same line as yours; at least for the bit that I've seen from you.

Kind regards,

Josť

Kathryn Wilson
11-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Heck, I am always aware of how easy it is for me to overwork my pastel painting. I have to learn to stop myself fussing with the painting until it is overworked - dull, muddy colors.

Your paintings do not look overworked to me - concepts are amazing and the colors are clear and bright.

Jeane09
11-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks all for your responses. I guess "overworked" means the same in any medium, not knowing when to quit. I thought in reference to patels it had something to do with the technique.

Thanks for sharing Christaina Vergano with me, wow she does some cool stuff! I couldn't find a website on her, though, does she have one?

Bringer
11-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi Jeane,

She's represented by a gallery, but I don't know of a personal site.
Did you manage to find out what gallery that was ?
If you didn't, just tell and I'll post a link.

Kind regards,

Josť