PDA

View Full Version : November Pastel Strokes

Deborah Secor
11-01-2006, 10:19 AM
November Pastel Strokes

Welcome to the November edition of PASTEL STROKES! Those who participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies, they are as follows:

• A new photo project will be posted at the first of each month. The photo is chosen by the guide or moderator hosting each individual month.
• If you are interested, create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for discussion.
• There will only be one photo posted but feel free to crop, rearrange, and interpret the image to your liking! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things. This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Feel free to have some fun!
• You can paint as many versions as you like and they can be any size. Both oilies and softies are invited to play.

This month I’m sharing a photograph that a friend of mine, Hank Schuyler, took at El Rancho de las Golondrinas (meaning swallows), which is a recreation of a village from the Spanish Colonial era in New Mexico, located a bit south of Santa Fe. The old buildings and beautiful surroundings are open to the public. I thought it would be fun to try to paint an adobe building, and of course the autumn colors are fun, too. Hank has given us permission to paint from his great photograph (thanks Hank), so here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2006/23609-PS_adobe_pic.jpg

I’m looking forward to seeing what you all make of this—will you paint the building, the shadows, the portal (say por-TALL) dripping with vines, the yellow chamisa and its shadows, or all of them? Enjoy!

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
11-01-2006, 04:19 PM
I can't wait to get started on this one. Now to figure out how I am going to go at it. Shall I pick and choose just part of it, or go for the whole enchilada?

What's everyone else going to do?

michellej
11-01-2006, 04:46 PM
ooh a challenge!:D
Never done buildings in pastels. This should be fun.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Deborah Secor
11-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Ha! I love it Kat--the whole magillah or just selected, juicy parts? Up to you... Have fun.

Greta, glad to see you joining in. A building is just a series of light and dark shapes--right? :D (Sorry--the teacher in me escapes now and then...) Hope you have some fun, too.

I have a couple of thoughts myself.... time will tell. Hope others decide to jump on the wagon. I think the flower bank could be fun, with those shadows...

I've added it to the RIL for you--happily Hank allowed us to use it any way we want to! This way those who want to crop won't have so much of a challenge. Here's a link for you: larger photo. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=67964) Hope that helps!

Deborah

*Violet*
11-01-2006, 07:37 PM
i should be able to work on this one no problem having gotten my first show just about all set up to go ... grand opening this coming weekend and lots still to do before 2pm saturday ... :lol: ... but after that i should be breathing easier ...

pequan
11-01-2006, 08:26 PM
these are getting more and more difficult....but worth the try........thanks Dee
Violet: congrats on your upcoming show.......

sundiver
11-01-2006, 09:03 PM
these are getting more and more difficult....but worth the try.......__________
Pequan/Linda
Remember, we don't have to do the whole scene- you could zoom in on the flowers, for instance!

What fun, Deborah! I love the light and shade. I've been playing with crops but will probably go for the whole- um, somebody already said enchilada..... the whole mohito? The whole empanada?
Here are my crops if they are of any use to anyone.:)

Deborah Secor
11-02-2006, 12:12 AM
That's part of the reason I chose this photo, Wendy, so that people could crop out sections. Remember, this isn't an exercise in painting the same image as much as it's a chance to also stretch our creative wings, too! BTW, I really like the middle one... I bet you could play with the color in a program and have some fun with that shadow.

Violet, so glad you can join us! Hope the show is a smashing success...

Linda, maybe you'll have some fun simplifying, but you can also give the whole enchilada, empanada, magillah, (whatever euphemism fits the bill) a go!

Deborah

ElleZee
11-03-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm in! Sounds like fun, and great pic! Newbie with the pastels, experimenting.....just ordered some holbeins, so hope I get 'em before months end :evil: I do have some cheapies so I am hopefully I can rustle up something.:D

Karen Margulis
11-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Count me in this month! This picture is great with so many possibilities! Thanks Deborah! I decided to try mine today since tomorrow I am going to one of our local art museums which has an exhibit of New Mexico landscapes. Thought I'd get in the mood!

Karen

Deborah Secor
11-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey Lori--welcome! Hope you have a blast! Experiement away on this image. Looking forward to what you do with what you have... and hope you get those Holbeins too. :D

Great, Karen. If you do it today you'll be first up...... Get you into the blue skies, warm adobe buildings and yellow flowers mood!

Deborah

Karen Margulis
11-03-2006, 02:45 PM
I did manage to find time to paint today so here is my 1st version. I think I'll try another crop as this was fun and I know me...I will be excited to paint New Mexico after I go to the exhibit here tomorrow. This one is 12x16 on white Wallis. As always I welcome your critiques so I can improve! Thanks!
Karen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2006/53551-adobe.jpg

Deborah Secor
11-03-2006, 03:33 PM
WOW! This is gorgeous, Karen! I honestly don't see anything you need to do to improve this one. I love your lush shadows and the focus on those bright yellows surrounded with the purples and red-violets is wonderful. I also like the understatement of the distant window, which says enough but doesn't distract.

One comment, however--and that's all it is--the colors here in New Mexico are different than those you've chosen. I like what you've done, but the palette is just different here. Bet I'd paint Georgia with NM colors! :D

Excellent start to the paintings here. Thank you so much. Now--who else is going to add a painting? I can hardly wait to see what you all do.

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Karen, this is excellent - I love the crop especially. Job well done!

Okay, Dee, can you tell us what colors are different? I think Karen has the adobe color spot on, so I'd like to know before I get started.

Deborah Secor
11-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Aw, I probably shouldn't even have mentioned it! It's hard to say, but I just want Karen to go look at the exhibit tomrrow with color in mind! I bet she'll see what I mean, if the paintings she sees are done here.

I think the adobe and all that's in front of it are spot on--but the distant greens here never go much toward blue because we just have so little atmosphere. We're high and dry, and the result is dusty, yellowish greens... I don't know if you can tell that in the photo, and I hope no one will try to create something only because I said it...... I'm hoping folks will bring something of their own to the painting, so Georgia greens are quite acceptable, even encouraged. Okay?

Deborah

Karen Margulis
11-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks Deborah! I really value your opinion so I appreciate the positive comments. I really would like to use a New Mexico palette though for the next one....any tips? What colors are not right? The sky, the greens? Any help you have would be great ...I am planning a trip to Santa fe this summer so I need to get it right!
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing everyone's versions too!
Karen

Karen Margulis
11-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Oop, we cross posted! I get it. I figured it was the blue greens. I will be looking carefully at the exhibit. So glad I tried this today!

Karen

pequan
11-03-2006, 05:04 PM
beautiful rendition Karen!!! I love it!... soft and flowy........
I would love to see what the "real" colors look like Deborah, can you post them, please?? thanks in advance

Deborah Secor
11-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi all--I went over to visit the Pastel Society of New Mexico's national show today and while I was looking at the paintings from all over the nation it hit me that the light in New Mexico really is different than other parts of the country. I admire the misty, atmospheric look of Glenna Hartman's paintings but I have to tell you that it NEVER looks that way here. I noticed that the NM painters use more saturated, vivid colors and more hot, warm colors overall. It's as if someone turned up the contrast and lightened everything a bit. Now, I'm not sure I could show you the 'real' colors without showing you the real place but here I 'tweaked' the photo to try to show you a bit more of what I mean...

Before (same as shown above):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2006/23609-PS_adobe_pic.jpg

After:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2006/23609-PS_adobe_pic+.jpg
I contrasted it, deepened the saturation, brightened it a LOT to show you how the clear sunlight and saturated colors often look in NM. (Mind you, neither one is accurate--photos never are!)

Have you ever had an artist from another region come to teach a workshop in your part of the country and found the advice you received seemed off? I've had that happen here. We had a 'famous artist' come from California and while out on location he kept telling students that they needed to soften the skyline, add more blue-grays, and just generally soften everything...until somebody looked him in the eye and said, "LOOK at that mountain! I can see the trees on the top of the peak thats 10 miles away--can't you?" The famous artist was bowled over to realize that he was teaching what he knew, not what he was seeing.... There wasn't that much blue, the edges were crisp and the colors bright! So, I'm just trying to point out that every place has it's own palette of colors. You will probably bring your palette with you, and it takes a little while to 'see' what you're seeing, instead of seeing what you're used to looking for! When you come to NM I hope you'll understand what I mean, but until then I think you should use the palette you're used to. You'll adapt when and if you come out here!

Meanwhile, feel free to use either version of this photo, or just take the big one and tweak it in your photo program until you LIKE it and paint that. Have some fun!

Deborah

michellej
11-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Karen, this is great. Can't wait to see the next one.

Karen Margulis
11-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks! for looking, I can't wait to try another one!
Deborah, thanks for bringing this subject up about the different light conditions around the country. It is very interesting. Of course it is drilled into my head to soften and use blue greens in the distance but I have to learn to see the difference...of course I need to GO there to see it....and I will!! My friends and I had a fun time at the museum yesterday looking at how the distance was handled in the New Mexico paintings...hopefully I'll get a chance to try another one today.
Thanks again!
Karen

sundiver
11-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Beautiful, Karen!
Interesting discussion about the different colours in different locations. I notice different colours and light in the seasons, too. Autumn is usually clearer, like Deborah says, less atmosphere. I even find the colours different here from where my cottage is, 3 hours away, because of the sandy, bright red soil there v/s the granite and grey here.

Deborah Secor
11-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Oddly enough, autumn is the one time when our skies get murky around here. A lot of people heat with wood and the smoke in our dry climate just forms an inversion layer.

An artist I interviewed mentioned that he always saw Oklahoma as having a slightly reddish or pinkish tinge to it, flavored by the red earth everywhere. It really does have an affect on things!

I don't have time to paint one of these this week but maybe next week I can show my version...we'll see. Meanwhile I hope others will share a version. Don't be shy. It doesn't have to look 'right'--just make it your own! In fact, I challenge folks to give this scene a color twist, and simply rely on the values in one of the two photos rather than trying to make accurate colors. How about a blue version? :D Whatever............

Deborah

IdahoHat
11-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Deborah - I've admired your work now for awhile and just joined WetCanvas. Tried my first WDE this past weekend. Afterwards I included my finished pastel on my website as well as posting to the WDE. So enjoyable. Will be starting this November Pastel Strokes later today after I decide what part of the picture I want to do. Should I post my efforts by Reply or should I start a new thread?

Deborah Secor
11-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi Hariett and welcome! :wave: I'm anxious to see what you come up with. Please post anything you paint from the photos in this thread here for us to see, although if you want to put it into a separate thread in the Soft Pastel Studio you can do that, as well. Perhaps more people will meet you and see it that way... but it's up to you!

I'll be checking back in tomorrow! :D

Deborah

sundiver
11-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Here's what I've been doing.
It's about 8x12 on some red paper- Strathmore I think- that I coated with Golden Pumice ground. I kind of glopped it on to get some texture and hopefully keep me from overworking.
I don't have a printer so did it looking at the monitor, and rushed the drawing so it's inaccurate I think.
First the underpainting, in dark red and white oil pastel. I mead the red by melting colours together.
Second stage is all oil pastel and the tooth is pretty much full, so I either have to let it sit for a few days to harden or put softies on top. It's much warmer IRL.
c&c are welcome.

LJW
11-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Very nice Wendy. I love the colour you have achieved for the adobe with your combined OPs. You have created a very appealing scene, with a great sense of sunlight (haven't seen much of that lately around here - wish I were in New Mexico right now). Jane

Deborah Secor
11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Wendy, I love it! You really caught the glow of the hot sunlight on adobe, chamisa and dust. I particularly like the top of the portal with the sunlight hitting the vines on top. Your drawing looks pretty accurate to me... Did you paint from the darker or lighter version of the photo--or one you tweaked yourself?

I'm so delighted to see this one. Anyone else? Hope so!

Deborah

*Violet*
11-07-2006, 03:15 PM
terrific rendition, wendy !! ... a tuff act to follow for sure ... :)

sundiver
11-08-2006, 05:36 PM
.....................hello?
Where is everybody?
Where are all the paintings?
I wanna see paintings! Waaaaaaah!

Deborah Secor
11-08-2006, 05:57 PM
*tap* *tap* *tap*

Is this thing workin'?

:D

WEll, Wendy, since it's just us chickens, I thought I'd mention that I'm continuing to work on the sunset painting from the October thread. I'm going to do some major changes on it for my advanced students tomorrow. It should end up being a nice combination of PEI and New Mexico!

Deborah

*Violet*
11-08-2006, 07:07 PM
not to worry ... i'll be submitting one ... just with my preps for my show i neglected so much other stuff that i gotta tend to that stuff first ... *then* i'll give it a try .... :angel: ... btw ... made the front page of our local free newspaper .... :cat:

Deborah Secor
11-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Cool, Violet! It's always fun to make the front page! Hope it goes well...

Deborah

sundiver
11-09-2006, 05:46 AM
WEll, Wendy, since it's just us chickens, I thought I'd mention that I'm continuing to work on the sunset painting from the October thread. I'm going to do some major changes on it for my advanced students tomorrow. It should end up being a nice combination of PEI and New Mexico!

Deborah

PEI and New Mexico! Takin' out the low tide, are you?;)
And I forgot to answer your question about which version of the adobe I used; it was the RIL version. I think I tweaked the saturation a bitty; I usually find I need to with my own photos to get the colours I remember.

lwood
11-09-2006, 06:44 AM
kmar this is splendid! I like the way you changed the format to vertical and straightened the picture. I also like how you subdued the harsh light and shadows in the picture and gave it a sort of late afternoon feel. I also like the movement with the shrubs in front leading up to the window like you could walk up and peep in. And I like that distance and atmosphere you created with the warm yellows in the foreground and cool blues in the background. And the building colors are much more interesting than the blank tan of the actual building. Now I feel like I've cheated by seeing this because I'm influenced by approach. :) Great work.

paul444
11-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Deborah, thanks for choosing a great picture..

Karen, Lovely, soft painting capturing the character of the adobe very well.

Wendy, Another great painting, lovely colours. It must be hard having to paint using just the monitor of your computer.

Karen Margulis
11-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Thankyou Lwood and Paul for your nice comments.I may try another version too.

Wendy.. I love your version! Beautiful colors!

Karen

paul444
11-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Well here's mine, Faber-Castell pastel pencils on Velour. 11 X 7.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2006/82968-house.jpg

Deborah Secor
11-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi Paul, and welcome! Looks good... I particularly like the contrast you achieved and the sense of spaciousness. Very nice. :D I'm so glad you took part in this!

I can never help but be influenced by the other paintings I see, but I rather like that. I can observe things that others do, and maybe pick and choose a bit. BUT once in a while a photo excites me enough to just go for it right away, which can result in a fresh look. So...either way works. Hope to see your version sometimes soon, lwood!

Deborah

sundiver
11-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Very nice, Paul! It really gives a sense of the clear, bright air and it has some lovely delicate detail as well.
How was filling in the colour masses with pastel pencils in that size painting? I don't think I would have the patience for that lol.

wabbitt
11-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone, well chalk this up to a learning experience...which is, of course, why I tried this picture. There are a few things I would have done differently but I am always short of art time. These are OPs on 8"x6" rusty orangey colored strathmore paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2006/76057-scan0012.jpg

As always, I'm in a rush out the door...will check back in a few days.

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome any time.

sjb
11-11-2006, 02:10 AM
Hi there,

Here's my attempt at it. Please be kind: first posting to WC and only third painting ever. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2006/94247-adobe_20061110.jpg
It's mostly Alphacolor, with Rembrandts and a touch of Sennelier on Canson yellow (or whatever the yellowy one in the assorted pad is callled :)). I cropped and simplified. Part of me thinks that there really needs to be a figure in the middle: this composition has a lot of surround and no punchline in the middle. In time I'll be able to match the vision...

Thanks to everybody who posts here and for having these monthly challenges. It's very inspiring!

Simon

Paula Ford
11-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Hello Simon...WELCOME!! So glad you joined us!!

Your painting is WONDERFUL!! The colors of the adobe are right on :thumbsup: and you're done a great job with the folliage!!

Fabulous work for your third painting!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paula

michellej
11-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi Simon welcome:wave:
Don't worry. Being here is one of the greatest learinig experinces you will ever have. The comments you receive here will only serve to help you improve your craft.
This is a nice piece of work here. Your simplication of the composition works, and I agree with Paula, nice foliage. :clap: :clap:
Hey Go for the vision. You might be pleasantly surprised by the results:)

sjb
11-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback. One of the first things I read when I found WC was this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262697) and it rang so true that it encouraged me to post. Thanks for the kind words, and bring on the constructive criticism, too. I'll be watching for more paintings in this thread as November draws to a close. Bring it on, you amazing artists!

Simon

K Taylor-Green
11-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Lots of really nice pieces here!
Welcome Simon! Really nice for a beginner. You will only grow here. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you in the Soft Pastels Studio.

Deborah Secor
11-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi all--back after a few busy days!

Julie, I'm so glad to see your painting here. Love the brilliance you caught with your colors and contrast. I love it when folks try things outside that comfort zone, and you've obviously enjoyed this challenge with your spirited rendition! :D

And Simon, we're delighted to have your addition here, too... What a terrific crop you've done! I like that you focused down on the shady portal. Your greens glimmer next to the pinks and golds--that works so well. I really don't think a figure is needed in this one myself. The subject is the light! You caught that golden glow across the patio so well! I hope we see more of your work here...

Keep 'em coming, gang! I'm really enjoying all the wonderfully different paintings. :heart:

Deborah

wabbitt
11-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Karen - lovely painting. I love how you made the focus softer in the background trees.

Wendy - beautiful job, thanks for showing the underpainting.

Paul - wonderful painting. Excellent detail on the leafless trees.

Simon - wow, I didn't see all that detail in the reference until you pointed them out through your painting. Well done!

Dee_artist - thanks for the generous comment. I really did see high contrast in the reference, figuring it was the NM sun, and that's what struck me most.

Thanks for letting me play ;)

pequan
11-14-2006, 09:49 PM
what fantastic paintings, all of them!
Wendy: absolutely gorgeous, I love your shadows
Paul: I get a peacful feeling from your painting, I especially like the trees
Julie: WOW love your colors
Simon: beautiful job - what a great idea to only do the front of the adobe!!

Eric0001
11-15-2006, 08:21 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2006/94831-House.GIF

Hi, I am a new comer of this forum. After seeing a number of drawings, I also want to have a try. This is my first post.

My training and job are related with Statistics and Computing. I just can squeeze some time to do painting as one of my hobbies. This picture is done with oil pastels and is drawn during my lunch hours at the office. Thus it is completed in a piecemeal manner and spread throughout a number of days. I just took a common A4 paper to draw it.

Any comments is welcome.

Best wishes,

Eric

Deborah Secor
11-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Hi Eric! :wave: Welcome to our forum and thanks so much for joining in our project here...

Wow--love your vivid and colorful purple shadows, in particular. This is a nice bit of work, IMHO. I also really like the way you've handled the green foliage, and that tree on the far left side is very lyrical and well done. :D

Hope to see more of your work here...

Deborah

sundiver
11-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Oh, good, more paintings!
Wow, two first-time posters in the Pastel Strokes: that is fabulous and you are so welcome!:wave:

Simon, it's hard to believe that's only your third painting and it's clear you're on the right track. Your crop adds intimacy to the scene and I like it very much.

Eric, this is so bright and airy! Oil pastels would be a good medium to use at lunchtime at the office because you don't need water or brushes, and they're not dusty. This looks great, especially done on ordinary paper.

Julie, the rusty paper bits showing through give the painting a nice warmth, and you have a lot of detail on such a small size nicely done!

michellej
11-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi Eric welcome:wave:
I've never tried ops before. Nice job. love the vibrance of the colours.Hope to see more from you.
Almost finished with mine.Really got to say again Dee, nice choice of picture. Makes me want to visit NM.

Singing Wind
11-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Hello Everyone, I am new to Wet Canvas and this is the second time I have tried to work with pastels. I think connecting with artists on the computer is a wonderful idea.....I would like to submit my pastel and comments are surely welcome....This is an 8x10 on sanded board and I simply hate working on such a small picture with big pastels....will go with a larger board or paper next time. I have not signed it because I do not know if it is finished. The photo of the painting is a bit more yellow than the painting..the adobe is a little more peachy....I hope it is OK to put in a figure....I wanted to walk into the picture so I painted me going that way.

Singing Wind

Paula Ford
11-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Hello Singing Wind! Welcome!!

Your painting is gorgeous!! I love everything about it!

Paula

pequan
11-16-2006, 08:31 PM
My goodness Singing Wind you are a fabulous artist! What mediums do you work in? You said this is only your second pastel I would love to see your other works...

Deborah Secor
11-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Exquisitely done, Singing Wind. I love the addition of the figure--perfect placement! And your composition is great. The upright tree on the far left stops the eye nicely. I'd say this one is finished.

Are you from around the southwest? You seem to understand adobe! :D

Deborah

sjb
11-16-2006, 08:56 PM
That's an amazing painting, Singing Wind. My hat's off to you. See Deborah? I knew there needed to be a figure there! :p

Good stuff. :clap:

Simon

Deborah Secor
11-16-2006, 09:03 PM
:p back atcha Simon! Recompose all you want to!!! Please!! :lol:

Seriously, please don't feel that you've already 'done' this one--I'd love to see more than one interpretation of the photo by anyone who wants to contribute that! :wink2:

Deborah

sjb
11-17-2006, 10:28 AM
I just might! I'm almost finished another painting now and I'll be looking for my next idea.

Simon

pequan
11-17-2006, 10:48 AM
here is my rendition.. all C & C's are more than welcomed......done on Wallis Professional with mostly Art Spectrum softies...thanks for the challange it was great fun!

Deborah Secor
11-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Linda, I love your yellow flowers! You have wonderful colors in them-just lovely. And the turquoise of the sky with the little wisps of clouds is a complement to the colors of the adobe. Beautiful detailing on the highlighted foliage, too. Nice job--thank you so much for sharing!

Deborah

michellej
11-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone,
Finally finished.... I think I still want to play with it a little more.

I thought of doing a crop of the pic. especially that little arch but then i decided that I wanted to do the whole thing keeping my option to do another one later.:)
So... here it is. Done on pastel board primed with art spectrum colourfix using Daler Rowney, Sennelier, and Windsor Newton softs.

michellej
11-17-2006, 03:16 PM
I just looked at all the work i missed seeing Wow! Singing Wind Wow! The light that's coming through the painting... the whole thing is just aglow.

*Violet*
11-17-2006, 03:17 PM
although life's been so hectic for me so much so i haven't been able to do any artwork i *have* been peeking in and must take this moment to say everyone's work is so very wonderful it's pretty intimidating to start in so late !!! ... :) ... but i still will try ... i hope i hope .... again ... you're all doing fabulous work and a big welcome to our new contributors !!!

Deborah Secor
11-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Greta, I think the space you've given us to walk into the painting and up to the building is very nice. It gives an openness to it that's very refreshing. Your pathway of light and strong darks invites me right up to the portal. How do you like the Art Spectrum surface? And what size is this one?

Violet, come play with us! Your vision will be unique and we want to see it. :wave:

Deborah

michellej
11-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks Dee.
I am still getting the hang of the priming; like how many coats I should put on that kind of thing but i am satisfied so far. Its better than the Canson for holding colour, and since i like to put on layers of colour that suits me just fine. I am still holding out for a sheet of Wallis though:)

The board is 9x12. I tried to mix the purples with the umbers for the shadows.

pequan
11-17-2006, 04:09 PM
dee: thanks so much for your comments! I admire you as an artist, so your comments mean an awful lot ....
greta: I am enjoying your rendition! I like the expansive foreground.
violet: how did your show go? hurry back in here, I enjoy seeing your work!

Eric0001
11-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Dear all,

Thank for those who are interested in my painting and gave encouraging comments. Definitively, the craft of my painting is still too primitive.

Thank for Deborah who holds the Nov forum and provide such a beautiful photo for us.

It is interesting to look at so many good paintings which are based on the same photo. There are so many possible interpretations and approaches.

I am looking forward to the December one.

Cheers,

Eric

jshelby
11-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Such beautiful paintings!! This is wonderful. Here is my try at the photo. All suggestions welcome. I can see most of the paintings, but some for some reason don't appear on my screen. This was don with nupastels and schmincke on Wallis paper.

Thanks, Dee, for the wonderful photo and all the time you've spent on this thread.:clap:

Jan

Paula Ford
11-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Beautiful work here Jan! The colors in the walls of the adobe are gorgeous...great job on the folliage also.

Paula

AnnieA
11-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Wow, wow, wow!

I just browsed through this thread and I'm just so impressed with the beautiful work here. I'd like to participate, but in all honesty, I'm a little intimidated now - you all are a hard act to follow!

Thanks, Deborah, for such an interesting reference photo. I've downloaded the photo that you edited for color - I feel inspired by it - let's see if I am able to pull it off.

A big Welcome to all the new WC members who have joined us in this thread. :wave:

Deborah Secor
11-20-2006, 11:08 PM
I agree with Paula! The saturated, rich colors of your wall just glows. Very nice. I also like the bit of light hitting the yellow pot--moves my eye aroundtot he flowers.

I wonder which paintings aren't showing on your computer...? If you continue to have problems we can dosome troubleshooting together!

Annie, c'mon! don't be intimidated, just join in! :D

I agree, one of the most gratifying things is to have so many of the newcomers take part in this thread. I hope all of you will post some of your work in the Soft or Oil Pastel Forums for everyone to see, too!

Deborah

jshelby
11-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks Paula and Deborah. You are so kind.

Jan

Deborah Secor
11-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Okay, with a nice l o n g holiday weekend (at least here in the USA) I hope to see some paintings come out of it! We have one more week and then the thread gets moved out...so keep on painting.

Deborah

*Violet*
11-27-2006, 01:57 AM
ok ... i finally got to working on an art piece this month ... figured i'd better make it the november project before it's over !! ... here it is ... about 8x10" on pumpkin coloured canson, smooth side with grumbacher oil pastels ... i still don't feel like i know what i'm doing with them !! ... should i blend? ... or leave it scribbly like it is? ... what c&c's can you provide for me? ... i'd truly appreciate some serious recomendations ... does anyone ever frame leaving the paper showing like i did here to show you folk what colour the support was? ... just curious ... and really green when it comes to oil pastels ...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2006/46454-violet_sm.jpg

Deborah Secor
11-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Violet, I love your take on the colors! I occasionally make a yellow or orangish adobe into a pink because I like the color shift, just as you've done here. Adobe buildings so often look organic because of the color of the dirt--they are, after made of the dirt--and I think you've captured that feel well.

I wish I had more advice to give you on how to handle oil pastels but it really isn't my area of knowledge. I don't find this scribbly looking, however, and can't see anything I'd change in that respect. I love your shadows in front of the flowers. Very nice sense of the earth being uneven and great transparency there.

One small suggestion--I'd be sure not to leave a 'halo' of dark green above the arbor and along the top of the house. It needs to be broken ever so slightly by the lighter colors of the foliage.

I'm so glad you took part! :D

Anyone else?

Deborah

Pat Isaac
11-27-2006, 12:57 PM
I think you did a very nice job with this, Violet. I don't think the OPs appear scribbly and blending is a preference thing. I really like the way the paper shows through on the ground and all the purpley shadow tones. I would tend to make the shrubbery behind the yellow shrubs a little darker so they recede a little. I agree with Dee about the halo of dark green.
About the framing...I wouldn't show the rough edges of the paper when you frame it.
Overall it has a nice warm sunny feeling.

Pat

*Violet*
11-27-2006, 01:26 PM
thank you so so much for the advice !! ... it helps so much ... i shall see what i can do about that halo and darkening the shrubbery behind the yellow plants ... will post once done ... again, many thx !!!!!

*Violet*
11-28-2006, 01:48 AM
with a few changes as recommended ... again ... thank you so much for the advice ... i respect it muchly !!! ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2006/46454-violet_SM_2.jpg

Pat Isaac
11-28-2006, 07:13 AM
That works, very nice Violet.

Pat

Deborah Secor
11-28-2006, 09:57 AM
I agree--great improvement on an already nice painting.

Deborah

*Violet*
11-28-2006, 04:30 PM
thank you again very much deborah and pat for your suggestions, recommendations, and advice ... i hope i'm growing with your support and assistance ... and thanks so much for providing the interesting reference pictures with saturation differences and for hosting the monthly project !!!

artyscope
11-29-2006, 05:33 AM
Here's my version :).Liked all the paintings.Would be interesting to see them as a gallery. Well done all :thumbsup:

Deborah Secor
11-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Artyscope, thanks for taking part. I agree, it would be fun to see them all together somewhere.

I like your palette. Very strong warm and cool contrasts here. You really put the focus more on the building than the foliage and flowers--another nice one!

We have one more day....plenty of time to get one finished if you're still planning to take part!

Deborah

Deborah Secor
11-30-2006, 01:45 PM
*tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick*

Laaaaaast day...anyone else???

Deborah

AnnieA
12-01-2006, 03:20 AM
Is it ever OK to add a new painting to a Pastel Strokes project after the month has passed? I've had a weird month, with all sorts of things distracting me, and I also just started the portrait project, but I really did want to try this one. It's just such a beautiful reference photo.

...or does the thread get locked when it's no longer the appropriate month?

Kathryn Wilson
12-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi Annie - you and I are in the same boat - I wanted to try this one too.

The Strokes get moved into the Pastel Library and do not get locked. So, go ahead and try it, but if you want it viewed, you might want to put it into a new thread.

robertofoakdale
12-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Where do I find the new December pastel strokes? I can't seen to find the site.

tnxs

*Violet*
12-03-2006, 04:50 PM
i think we just must be patient ... i believe a moderator has to volunteer to host it and also choose a reference image and that must be in the works ... i'm waiting and watching too ... checking in the pastel forum as well as in pastel talk ... :)

Deborah Secor
12-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Those of us on the Pastel team talked over the December Pastel Strokes but we've all hosted one. It seems to me that if any of you would like to host it this month we'd be more than happy to consider that. All you have to do is PM one of us and show us the picture you think would be fun for us all to paint. There's nothing terribly formal about it--we'd just like to be in the know! I encourage anyone who wants to step up and lend a hand this way to talk to us about it... Thanks!

Deborah