PDA

View Full Version : Japanese themed painting of cats

kiwicockatoo
10-31-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm working on a portfolio of larger things right now. I've been mostly painting aceo's this year so I haven't been posting much over here. It's a cat dressed in late Edo era (Japan, 1800's) style. It's 8 x 10, acrylic on watercolor paper. I do do more traditional "thicker" paintings but I've been mostly working in this style lately. With my technique, watercolors just don't cut it - acrylics have some special properties and I think brighter colors. Just a personal preference though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/moussart/playingwithcatsdone.jpg

a couple of closeups:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/moussart/playingwithcatsdoneclose.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/moussart/playingwithcatsdoneclosetwo.jpg

objectivistartist
10-31-2006, 07:41 PM
Ah so - VERY nicely done!! :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Robert

Margaret 59
10-31-2006, 07:57 PM
This is all so cute! And I like the colourful detail in the kimono. :thumbsup: :wave:

NDee
10-31-2006, 08:41 PM
WOW, this is beautiful!

hbryan
10-31-2006, 09:18 PM
This is adorable, I love the small details.

id-art
10-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Wonderful!

dspinks
10-31-2006, 09:29 PM
This is exquisite! I adore the patterns in Japanese cloth. Since she is wearing the single woman's style of kimono (the long, drapey sleeves), I assume these are her little siblings she is playing with? They are just adorable with their calico spots.

I would love to see a WIP of one of your paintings. How long does it take you to complete a painting this size?

Debra

Andun
10-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Omoshiroy desu!!!
I love the fanciful,playful atmosphere.Very Japanese!! The colors are textures are fantastic.
Tony

kiwicockatoo
10-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Oh wow, thanks everyone! LOL Debra, I do a lot of "cat with pet cat" or even pet dog paintings. They're very silly and don't make much sense, but I think they're cute. I don't know about a wip, I basically do the outlines and then fill in the blanks. This painting took me about a week, but then I had a lot of free time this past week because my hours at work have been cut so much. Things are picking up though so I'm not sure how soon I can start something larger like this. I'm a bit depressed about that. I love painting sooo much work is really starting to be a downer (I manage a small daycare in a battered women's shelter).

dreamz
10-31-2006, 11:14 PM
you have a really neat style! this is very cute and VERY well executed

chammi kaiser
11-01-2006, 03:45 AM
Absolutely delightful, whimsical and great attention to detail. Love em. Chammi

plec
11-01-2006, 03:51 AM
hi congratulations really excellent piece of work.
best wishes, Ken.

Catkin
11-01-2006, 05:47 AM
This is beautiful - I always look out for your ACEO's on ebay but can't afford them at the moment as I have 5 cats of my own to look after (I rescued a litter of 4 kittens and kept them all!) and have just had them all neutered / speyed and microchipped:eek:
Have you thought of offering postcards or greetings cards?
Sharon:cat:

idcrisis55
11-01-2006, 10:22 AM
You do beautiful work.

Ann

Bertoni
11-01-2006, 10:45 AM
As one who is a fan of Japanese Art... this is a winner in every sense of the word. Wonderful color, design...everything done with great style!....superb!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

kiwicockatoo
11-01-2006, 01:53 PM
wow, thanks again everyone! Sharon, I know how it goes - I have one cat that just went through a bout of uti that cost $200+ and she's showing signs that it's coming back. But we all love our pets and have to take care of them no matter the cost! And it's so important to get them fixed when you get them. I'll try to get around to putting this design in my cafepress store, but as for printing cards myself, I don't know how to go about doing that.

Lady Carol
11-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Gasp!!! so nice. I am totally awe struck by this. What a fabulous painting.

lensman
11-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Great work. I think I may have seen some of your work before - did you do a Tarot card series?

Anyway, the way you have got such a flat, almost printed look to some of your colours is something I have been trying to achieve without much success. Do you use a more liquid acrylic as opposed to tube or tub paints?

Glenn

kiwicockatoo
11-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks Carol!

Glenn, I use golden brand fluid acrylics and I water them down to a watercolor consistancy. But I do use them straight out of the tube for certain areas (the black and clouds in the screen for example.) I like using the acrylics because you can begin with a watercolor technique and then build up the paint if you want. I do have to work very fast though because if you're doing a large wash area you can't just lift color once it's dried.

I did do a few tarot cards in a more traditional manner - acrylic on board (here's a couple of my queens):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/moussart/queenofswordsfinished.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/moussart/wandsqueendoneepilogue.jpg

kiwicockatoo
11-01-2006, 04:54 PM
In case you're wondering what the speckles are, when I start a painting on board I apply the gesso with a paint roller to get a texture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/moussart/swordqueenface4.jpg

Charlie's Mum
11-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Exquisite work - this really appeals to me. although I couldn't - or wouldn't - do it myself ...... but it gives me alot of pleasure to look at it!

I thought the texture was a w/c paper texture!

Your work is delicate and beautifully executed - very labour-intensive I should think.
Beautifully whimsical - the cats make me smile :D ....... and even your detail crops look good enough to stand on their own - so thereare a few 'cards' from one painting ......... see what printers would charge to make a batch and sell them ....... you could do worse than contact some of the business people here, on WC.

debsn2paintn
11-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Very nice, awesome detail. I like the texture as well.