PDA

View Full Version : "Diner", finally finished !!!

stevenbg
10-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Hi everyone.
Well, I'm FINALLY done with this one.
It's been sitting on my easel and mocking me for far too long now.
I've already signed it, and unless there's some glaring mistakes that I've missed, it's getting a coat of varnish in the morning.
Thanks for looking.

"Diner"
16X20" acrylic on Masonite.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2006/38431-DINER_small.JPG

tubbekans
10-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Looks great Steve! The kind of place I wouldn't mind eating, nice and clean and shiny.

texana6
10-31-2006, 06:56 PM
SIGN IT!

I really love the black, white, red and chrome reflections of this. It's really terrific to see someone tackle a complex subject and nail it like you have! I don't recall the red seatback in your previous versions (or at least I though previously that it was a brown carpet. Here it is a red arrow to the figures. I'm glad you dropped down to three figures, and added the catsup and mustard bottles on the counter. Aren't you glad you didn't gesso over this!

Jackie339
10-31-2006, 06:58 PM
I love it, the only thing that Icould see is the "Seat" possilbly is too large , but it's a great spot for your signature. Great Job!!

objectivistartist
10-31-2006, 07:27 PM
MUCH better than that diner one by what's his name - Hopper? Hooper? :lol::lol::lol:

Robert

jeff m
10-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi Steve,
I've been waiting for this one:)

You sorted this out very well.
Well done:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

stevenbg
10-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Thank you all.
I appreciate your comments.

Texaxa6: Yes, as I recall, that seat did used to be brown, which I believe it was in real life, but I thought it would look better if I upholstered it in red vinyl like the stools. Also, I thought it worked better with only three figures, too. Makes it a little more dynamic, I think.

Jackie: If you look closely, you can see that it's already been signed, and it's right there on the seat, like you suggested! But it's in red, so it doesn't show up too well on the photo.

Robert: Thanks for the complement. You're much too kind.

Paul and Jeff: Thank you both. I'm glad that you like it. I'm just glad to finally have it off of my easel!

dreamz
10-31-2006, 11:10 PM
its always great when you can get one off the easel, it turned out spectacular!

rmc
11-01-2006, 02:14 AM
well done - great finish - you are always good at pullling it all together and this works so well - love the interesting large shapes in the corners conterposing the busy center.

stevenbg
11-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Dreamz and Ruth:
Thank you so much for looking and commenting.
BTW, I'm looking for suggestions for a better title than just "Diner" for this one.
The reference photo was taken around lunch time, in the "Rockin' Comet" diner in Clayton, NC.
Dare I use the name of the diner in the title, or would I be walking a tight-rope of copyright infringement?
Oh yeah, I did take a few minor liberties with the reference, so the painting's not entirely 'true-to-life'.
Suggestions?

Islomane
11-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Is that coffee and bacon I can smell? You really captured the feel of a place like this, Steve. Too bad the owner couldn't find someone that could lay floor tile properly (private joke) but I'm sure he would be thrilled to have this painting called "Rockin' Comet Diner". That's just calling it what it is so I can't see a copyright issue.
Peter

Roger Evans
11-01-2006, 01:11 PM
What fun! Looks great!

stevenbg
11-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Too bad the owner couldn't find someone that could lay floor tile properly (private joke) .....
Peter
Thanks, Peter.
You made my day! :lol: :lol:

Charlie's Mum
11-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Free advertising for him Steve - anyway, he might want to buy it!

You've made a nice job of a very complex subject - so much to consider.

Please tell me he'll buy it and hang it! :D

Phantelope
11-01-2006, 11:47 PM
great work on the metal/chrome parts! It seems a bit dark, but that's probably my monitor or the photo. One thing I have to mention, the ceiling lamps seem a bit off in perspective, the black/dark part of the ceiling seems to tilt up a bit. Of course, it might just do that in real life. Also, a couple highlights on top of the shoulders and heads would add to the way the light falls on the guys at the bar.

But those are minor things, I think it's done quite nicely and would probably be quite afraid to tackle this subject myself ;)

Oliver

PS: I never sign my paintings (on the front), does that mean they're never finished? I'd probably be the first to agree with that by the way, heh. :D

stevenbg
11-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Hi Oliver.
Actually, the ceiling in this particular diner is curved, or domed so that's probably why it looks a bit "off".
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

BTW, I'm never really "finished" with my paintings until they have a coat of varnish on them.
Until then, I can still go in and tweek things (which I tend to do).

pakc
11-13-2006, 02:12 AM
oh yeah....you finished..and it is delightful.
Glad you kept at it...I enjoyed the steps that got you here.

chammi kaiser
11-13-2006, 03:47 AM
Steve. This is great. Those look like real trucking types, big and brawny. I love the lights on the chrome stools. Can't say I would particularly like to eat there. Most of those places sell pretty glutinous tarts. Yuck. I like the way you have added those little intimate touches like the mustard and tomato sauce containers. A terrific subject with masterly flair. CHAMMI

Marge Wms
11-13-2006, 08:30 AM
What a marvelous undertaking! You are one brave soul to tackle all the angles and detail in this one. I can see why you are glad to be done with it. It's kinda like when I try to paint a field of Texas bluebonnets and get sick and tired of looking at them. I'm told they are really good, but I've done four this year and I'm not going to do another one for quite a long time. Gigi

idcrisis55
11-13-2006, 08:50 AM
I like it Steve. A monumental undertaking finished with flair. It reminds me of a place here where a group of men meet every morning at 7:00 to have coffee and change the world. :D

Ann

Jackie339
11-13-2006, 07:00 PM
BTW Steven, I had commented that you had found a great spot to place your signature, I did see it there. Perhaps you take me the wrong way, I apologise if I didn't word my feelings correctly.

stevenbg
11-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks Pam:I'm glad that I kept at it too. Actually, now that it's hanging on my wall (finished), I'm liking it better and better.

Chammi: This place actually serves some pretty incredible food, and the milkshakes are to-die-for.

Thank you Ann. I'm glad that you like it.

Jackie: I'm sorry. I thought that you were just suggesting a good place for me to sign this painting. I didn't realize that you had already seen the signature. My apologies for the confusion.

Lady Carol
11-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Absolutely sign it. This really is a fabulous piece. I bet you are happy with the way it turned out.

stevenbg
11-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Absolutely sign it. This really is a fabulous piece. I bet you are happy with the way it turned out.
Thank you Carol.
I'm glad to hear that you like this one.
Actually, now that it's finally finished , it's starting to grow on me.
So yeah, I guess I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.
Thanks for looking.

Marge Wms
11-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Hi, Steve! Ann is so right. This IS like so many places where the guys hang out for breakfast and talk. Seems like there's one of those in every small town in Texas and Oklahoma. But most are not the real diners like this one is. It's really awesome. Gigi