PDA

View Full Version : How can one market artwork?

Sersote
10-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Hello all, I am new to the boards, but this just became my new favourite website! I have been doing a variety of artwork for several years, however my home base has been calligraphy, both Western and Japanese and on a wide range of mediums: Sumi on shoji (Charcoal ink on rice paper) wood carvings, acrylic and india ink on paper, parchment, gourds, just to name a few. I love doing it, and vastly prefer doing custom work to the generic clich'e things that you see everywhere. I would really love to do this for a living and of course get paid for it. So, my question is... how can I market this? I have a brief portfolio (Photos) of work that I have done. Those that I remember to take a picture of anyway. The second question... is what would a fair price be to charge for this kind of work? I want to make money, but I do not want to rip anyone off. At some point I will post some pictures of some of my work... I would like honest opinions on it anyway.

--Paul--

McArthur
11-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Hi Paul , That is a difficult task and sometimes hard to be objective. However you can get some ideas by pricing the work that other artists would charge for similiar items. Working by the hour is not always a good guide, I found you have to consider all the overall expenses and effort etc. Check out some galleries and websites around you. Compare it to mass produced prints you see for sale, original work has got to be worth more! Hope some of that makes sense?!