PDA

View Full Version : Snowy owl

edart
10-29-2006, 08:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2006/91962-snow-owl-sml.jpg

Painted in Photoshop default brushes and one custom brush for the detail on the feathers!

madster
10-30-2006, 12:46 AM
The eye on the left looks a bit too shadowed and dim, with the "dots" on the head a bit too dark in value, but elsewise, this is a stunning work! Especially the subtle shading of the snowy background, and the depth of the feathers on the lower part of the breast. Very nice brushwork!

~M

LadyAlba
11-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Good one Ed and I agree with Madster about the (our left) eye. :wave:

jageo
11-03-2006, 01:05 AM
I don't have a problem with the intensity of the "dots" on the head, *if* you had that same level to the beak. It needs to come forward.
Maybe a bit of cast shadow in the snow to back left? (since there is a definite light source)
Really like the softness of the feathers and the rounding of the pattern.
JA

justjean
11-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Looking good Ed

edart
11-06-2006, 10:11 PM
The owl is on a ridge and therefore the shaddow is on the far side so hidden.
The part above the beak is raised slightly so it casts a shaddow over the left eye. As for the feathers on the head being to dark, In the refrence photo I used they were darker than I painted them!

But saying all that, next time I paint an owl I will alter the details to make a better visual composition!!!

Bytemebabs
11-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Ed? I have told you from the beginning that you have a lot of potential! You did not enjoy my critiques, but I was honest. And the artists in this forum are too, so keep those awesome paintings coming!
Hugs,
Babs :)