PDA

View Full Version : Quick-Dry Cafe: Oct 29 - Nov. 4

Charlie's Mum
10-29-2006, 06:24 AM
Last week's thread. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377989)

Hi everyone - sorry not to have been in the Cafe for a little while .... definitely feeling withdrawal symptoms!

Hope all is well with you and your part of the world :thumbsup:

Please spare a thought for poor Carol at that Conference, or symposium, or knees-up ... trying hard not to enjoy herself! :lol: :lol:

Lady Carol
10-29-2006, 08:55 PM
It was a thoroughly horrible experience. I mean who wants to go to Woods Hole? You know that place where all the Marine Biology Laboratory documentaries about sea creatures comes from? Well it was there. The weather really was awful - gale winds and driving rain, dormatory like rooms (no TV :crying:) thin walls. I was stuck next to a woman who yelled in her sleep and a party room.

Admittedly, from a scientific point of view it is a mecca for us analytical types. I have always wanted to see Woods Hole. I suspect that with better weather it would be a very lovely place and it is right next door to Cape Cod.

And the worse bit was no WetCanvas access. I am in withdrawal and on WC within 10 min of being home. Just making sure Maureen is behaving herself. Sick eh?

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi,
I am new, and a bit unsure if this is the place to be.... (I mean - is this where we talk about what's happening everyday, not just about what the last painting was??)
Anyway, I am glad to see so many Aussie's here (or Aussie's abroad).
I think this place could become addictive, very addicitive!
Thanks, if this is the place to vent or talk about life in general, I will talk later once I know for sure!
Thanks
Firehorse Australia

DorothyC
10-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Welcome Firehorse
:wave:
This is definitely where we come to chat. :thumbsup:
Wet Canvas is a great place to exchange ideas and find people with similar interests. I'm sure you will find lots to interest you.:D :D

Sorry you had such a miserable trip Carol:( Nothing like making you appreciate getting home to all the things that make life good.:lol:

Good to see you back too Maureen. I know what you mean about the withdrawal syptoms. I was talking about that last week after an absence! :lol:

I love browsing the local nurseries and this time I found some lovely Waratah.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2006/59250-P1030149.jpg

10-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Thankyou for the welcome.
Well, after 6 weeks of hell (hubby went into renal failure twice and had two heart attacks - and he is only 43!) I am seeing light at the end!
I am about to embark on painting and drawing to help me cope and deal with my mental state and I have found this place so inspirational!
I would love to do a project, but I want to be in it with others, so I think I will wait for november's challenge!
Thanks to all for letting me play along!
Carol - I bet that lab was fantastic to be at, despite the misery you suffered!
Dorathy - thankyou for the welcome and answer
Thanks
Firehorse Australia

Jon
10-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Good day fellow QDCers!
Welcome Firehorse! Glad you are joining us in our little Cafe.

I am heading out to begin the process of herding leaves! :)
I will have a great time with it as it is a beautiful day.

Be well! :wave:

timelady
10-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Carol, you waited 10 minutes to visit WC? ;) Funny, I do the same thing after I fly home from Chicago - like 15 hours or so is too long to be away!

Got a new fork for the allotment today - a border fork, smaller and stainless steel so hopefully I won't break this one. Visited yesterday to do a bit of semi-dry digging, it's so much easier! Met the bloke with the plot next to me which was great because he's cleared the top half of his (whereas I chose the bottom half) so now I know where my top half boundaries are. With all the overgrowth it was completely impossible to work out a month ago. Getting a FREE shed on Wednesday (can't recommend Freecycle enough) which I'm hoping to put at the top now because it will be safer up there out of sight of the neighbourhood. (and now I'm going to copy this to my allotment blog ;))

Tina.

Lady Carol
10-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Hey guys, it is amazing how stressful it is when there is no access to WC! I hate it. But then I am not on WC! all the time anyway. It is just being denied the access to it that is frustrating. I suspect that is how smokers feel when they are on a plane. I don't know, I don't smoke but I am sure it would be equally frustrating.

Hiya Firehorse :wave: welcome to the forum. This is the thread to talk about anything. And I mean anything that is on your mind. This thread has a few Aussies in it on a regular basis. Sorry to hear about your hubby. Yes 43 is way too young to get RF but then that probably put stress on his heart and thus the heart attacks. It always amazes me how delicately complicated the human body is and when something goes wrong, it can go wrong in some quite grand ways. I got back into art after my hubby had a stroke (at 39). He is disabled but fortunately he recovered much of the movement that he lost. We were blessed with his recovery. As a scientist, I have learnt a lot about the brain over the past few years. I am not a neurologist so it really was a dark area for me.

Actually you are right...I liked the whole experience (except the sleeping quarters) the rest of the meeting was great and I learnt a lot about immunology, not a strong subject of mine.

Tina, you have an allotment blog :D

I am riding tonight the horse that dumped me last week, so here is hoping that I stay on this time. I know she is going to make me canter him without stirrups... *sigh*

objectivistartist
10-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Herding leaves - ye use a heather dog? :lol:

Glad ye liked Woods Hole - agree tis nothing like the titanic underwater viewing.......:lol:

Robert

timelady
10-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Heehee. This is taking over my life: artist-allotment.blogspot.com There's some piccies of the plot in the first post or so. You can see 20-25 metres back, the other 25m or so behind it (behind the metal framework) is solid bramble.

Tina.

dreamz
10-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Firehorse.. Welcome and yes this place can be VERY addictive! I haven't been doing much painting the past week or so, the crerative juices having been funneled towards decorating for halloween. We had a party saturday night with about 150 ppl (and NO cops). Last year we converted a portable carport (metal frame and tarp cover) into a tunnel or terror, and it was a big hit with the trickRtreaters, this year we expanded it to 2 carports, approx 12x40ft. The link below is of the decorations and a few shots of the party. My sons father in law is a carpenter, they built the coffin with a removeable back so it can still be used as storage..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2006/78160-Image1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2006/78160-halloween_011.jpg

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/555209299KiuHui

DorothyC
10-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Wow Tina - I just went to your plot - what a job you have clearing that!!! Not one for the faint hearted - go girl!!!:clap: :clap:

Sorry to hear about your husband Firehorse - that's a hell of a lot to go through at such a young age. Like I said before - this is a great place to lose yourself!

I had wondered Carol, about your husband and perhaps children. We don't get to chat about the other people in our lives much so it's nice to know a little bit of background. You girls are tough cookies from the sounds of things. Me - I've got a husband 14 years my senior and three terrific adult kids who are married with beaut partners. I've also got 4 grandchildren.

Hee, hee - Got a good image of you herding those leaves Jon. At least it's easier than herding cats!:lol: :lol:

Good luck with that riding tonight Carol.

DorothyC
10-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Wow Dreamz - I just cross posted with you!:eek:

You guys really do go all out for Halloween! Fascinating as it really just doesn't happen over here. It's interesting to read and see pictures of what you get up to.

Lady Carol
10-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Good luck with that riding tonight Carol.
Ta!! Dorothy. All I can say is with something as inheritable as the stroke that runs in his family, I am glad we do not have kids. I would be so worried about little walking time-bombs.

DorothyC
10-30-2006, 10:22 PM
All I can say is with something as inheritable as the stroke that runs in his family, I am glad we do not have kids. I would be so worried about little walking time-bombs.

I hadn't been nearly so aware about inheritable conditions as I am after chatting and reading posts from one another. It only came to my attention a couple of days ago that aneurysms can also be hereditary. I'm going to look into it a little more closely as my Mum died from a brain aneurysm and used to always complain of headaches. One of our sons has always complained of them as well so it's got me to thinking. Like you say Carol - walking time bombs.

Talk about a mine of information here!!:)

Lady Carol
10-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Migraines are evidently linked to stroke. Recent publication in Science I believe. I am not sure what type as there are 3 forms that you can get: bleed into the brain (usually casued by aneurism), clot, and a vessel that closes off for some reason. Craig did not have a clot but where his stroke is, they were at the time unable to determine whether it was a vessel that shut down or a bleed. He is up for another MRI as evidently they have better methods of detection for that area now.

DorothyC
10-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks for sharing the information Carol. It's all very well worth knowing.

jeff m
10-31-2006, 05:40 AM
Hi everyone,
Today is Halloween, which means a steady flow of trick or treaters to the front door in search of candy (sweets, for those w/o a Websters at hand). I've struck a deal with my wife, she does uptil 6pm, I do after. I think she forgot it gets dark one hour earlier:lol: :lol: .

My sculpture is coming along sorta ok, I was able to elicit some very good help from clay and sculpture. seems I did not recognise/identify some "planes" of the face very well. Front views ok, 3/4 view ok, profile horrific, almost embarrassing. It's saveable with major surgery:D

Carol, I hope the stirrupless cantering went better this week. Velcro perhaps:)

leaf herding....best description I've heard, especially if it's a little windy.
There must be an animal somewhere that eats fallen leaves:D

Tina....and the first crop will be.......?

timelady
10-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Jeff, first crop will probably be broad beans. These are already growing happily in my studio and hopefully I'll get them out into the earth next week or so. I am told they can be planted now, go figure. I'm going to get some garlic in too, and flower bulbs.

It's a shame the bramble won't be dry for bonfire night! That would have been really good.

Tina.

objectivistartist
10-31-2006, 09:51 AM
There must be an animal somewhere that eats fallen leaves

There is - tis called a mulcher :evil: :lol:

Robert

idylbrush
10-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Drive by howdy with puppy dog eyes!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2006/36241-plush1.jpg

Jon
10-31-2006, 11:26 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2006/68882-HTY.jpg

BOO!!

leaf herding....best description I've heard, especially if it's a little windy.
There must be an animal somewhere that eats fallen leaves
There is - tis called a mulcher
Robert
:lol:

Into the compost they go...some more willingly than others.

I rather miss the days that we could pile them up and burn them. It was such a wonderful scent!

:wave:

Lady Carol
10-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Carol, I hope the stirrupless cantering went better this week. Velcro perhaps:)
Phew!!!! No stirrup-less cantering last night. But worked on transitions trot to canter and canter to trot. I am not good at canter to trot and evidently I lose my balance a little bit. She did teach me a trick for that and also a trick to control his trot speed without hauling on the reins.

mrs willow
10-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Hi All :wave: Like Firehorse, I have not visited the QDC before, although I have been a member of WC for some time.This week and next, I have some more time to myself, so I thought I would join you to see what goes on in here.
My husband had a series of strokes about 3 1/2 years ago and is fairly badly effected. I am his Carer. Right now he is in respite, which gives me a two week break.I hope to use much of my time to get back into some painting.
Carol: What a shame the weather was so bad for your trip but by the sound of it at least the scientific aspect was well worth it.....maybe you can go again some time.
Dorothy: Beautiful waratah! There was a festival in our town last weekend and a flower seller was doing great business with the waratah.
Dreamz, Jeff, Howard,Jon: As Dorothy said,Halloween usually doesn't happen here.BUT last night (31/10) there was a commotion in the street and when I investigated, I discovered a group of teenagers all enjoying themselves "tricking or treating"
Tina: When I was a child,we (over here in OZ.) always used to celebrate Guy Fawkes with bonfires etc.However it seems to have gone by the wayside....maybe because the threat of bushfire at this time of year is so great...especially this year. We are in the grip of a very serious drought and bushfires with little water in reserve is a very frightening thought.
It has been good to join you here in QDC I hope I can keep in regular contact after this respite comes to an end.
Sandy

Charlie's Mum
10-31-2006, 06:33 PM
Missed you Sandy! Hope you can keep dropping in :D

Hi all - isn't that blue pup gorgeous? - looks as if he comes complete with chocolate bar too:D .... Hi Howard (as he drives by :D)

Jon - the pumpkin lantern pic is beautiful - is it a painting?

Don't know when Tina finds time to work with all the blogging she does! - bet the back's aching Tina! - but the smaller fork should be easier to handle than the bigger ones.

Jon - our leaves were in neat piles yesterday - now why didn't I bin them then? ..... today the wind has blown them into the garage and all over the drive - :eek: ........ maybe they'll blow off down the street :evil:

Dorothy - lovely picture of the ??????? flower - like a pom-pom chrysanth.

Welcome Firehorse - and do you have a name we can use for you ;) ;)

Bitterly cold wind today - we seem to have gone from summer to winter and missed out autumn!

Ah well, another day gone and no painting - maybe tomorrow.

Night all :wave:

wintersrose
10-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Hello All!

Just checking in!

Carol- Are you taking riding lessons? Sorry, I haven't been around much so may have missed that blog. What style do you ride?

Can't wait 'til we find a farm around here to buy. I miss having a horse to ride. Good excercise, too. Lord knows I need it :lol:

"leaf herding" :lol: good one! no-one in their right mind will be doing that around here, today, windy as it is. Brrrrr...she's a chilly one. I pity the poor trick-or-treaters. People should hand out cups of hot cocoa along with the candy!:D

Interesting information y'all have posted on hereditary conditions. I had no idea that strokes were hereditary. As for me, I could be a veritable Pandora's Box :( since my mom was adopted and we know very little about her mother. Oh well. Makes life interesting, I guess. :rolleyes:

Happy Hallow's Eve!!!

objectivistartist
10-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Around here, Guy Fawke's is celebrated in the movie "V- For Vendetta"....... [an excellent movie, btw..] :thumbsup:

Robert

meganj
10-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Hey Jeff. The leaf eaters are called cows! We have 24 at last count and most of our girls are pregnant again. Scott (my honey) thinks they will start popping again around february.

Today we put together another 5 beehives. We are focusing on splitting our hives to get our count up to 40 - 50. As of today's efforts we are up to 23. We also put our name in the "yellow pages" for bee removal, becuase when things go right we can capture the bees and bring them home and make up more hives!

It is also time to pick avocados, and we need to find a buyer. I need to put that on my list for tomorrow I think.

I have a local art competition on November 8 - 9th, here in Kona that should be fun. I am hoping to do some more networking and meet more of the local artists. There's a group here that gets together to order in bulk from Cheap Joes for the free shipping. When you live in Hawaii, that can make a huge difference!

What else... we poured the foundation for my new studio! It is an addition to our house, will be 16 x 16, and has to hold my bed too, it will still be lots more room than I have right now. Yesterday we picked up the framing lumber and the stain for my rafters! I wonder how I ever find time to paint...

objectivistartist
10-31-2006, 11:49 PM
Ah yes - not mulchers, but cudders..... [sigh] should have known..... :lol:

Robert

DorothyC
11-01-2006, 04:59 AM
Glad you liked the waratah Sandy. Your right Maureen - it really does look like some wierd sort of chrysanthemum. The red one is the floral emblem for our state - New South Wales. They also come in white and pink. I photographed this white one the same day.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2006/59250-P1030152.jpg

There is a lovely dreamtime story about how the waratah became red. In the Dreamtime all waratahs were white. Very briefly it is the story of a Wonga pigeon and her mate. When they were out looking for berries they became separated and as it was getting late Wonga wanted to find her mate. She flew far into the sky above the tree tops for a better view when there was the sound of rushing wind. It was a hawk who attacked Wonga and tore open her breast. She plummeted toward the ground landing among the white waratah. As she rested her blood trickled onto the waratah staining them a deep red before she fell to the ground dead. Now for my northern friends - does this sound a lot like the story of how the robin gained his red breast?

I grew up with these stories and still love to tell the full story to my grandchildren.

Of course it doesn't explain how we also have pink waratah! This one is at our National Botanic Gardens here in Canberra.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2006/59250-Waratah-pink1.jpg

objectivistartist
11-01-2006, 09:04 AM
A hive of florals..... interesting.....

Robert

timelady
11-01-2006, 10:34 AM
As of this morning I have a SHED!!!!! :D Dismantled and a few planks hammered off and door removed to get it in the van, but it's there! It even has little glass windows...aaaw cute. Shed building party will have to be in a couple weeks after I clear and level a space.

Love the blue puppy Howard! Heehee. :)

Tina.

Lady Carol
11-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Carol- Are you taking riding lessons? Sorry, I haven't been around much so may have missed that blog. What style do you ride?
I take lessons twice a week (Mondays & Wednesdays). I ride hunters at a show barn. I totally love the experience and yes you are right...it is very good exersize. These days I do more advanced stuff like distancing to jumps and a lot of equitation, rather than just riding around in circles. I am considering leasing a show horse and I guess over the next week or so, I will make a decision about that. I want to get back into showing so I think he will work out rather well.

Dorothy love the waratahs. I never knew that they came in white. I have always been very partial to the red ones.

Tina : congrats on the shed. How exciting.

Charlie's Mum
11-01-2006, 05:29 PM
:crying: over the story Dorothy!
Of course, the white waratahs and the red ones (being so sad) mated and ........... wa ha! - pink babies :D

Love the individual petal formation of the flower - intriguing!

Well done with the shed Tina - will you all fit in after the building of it? - got to party somewhere out of the cold!

Megan - I'm a bit concerned about you putting yout bed in the studio! :evil: ;) ;)

wintersrose
11-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Carol-Good luck with your training and potential showing! Do some riding for me since I can't, will ya?;)

DorothyC
11-01-2006, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=Charlie's Mum]:crying: over the story Dorothy!
Of course, the white waratahs and the red ones (being so sad) mated and ........... wa ha! - pink babies :D

QUOTE]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now why didn't I think of that - of course you have to be right!!:lol: :lol::lol:

11-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Hi all, thanks for the welcome.
Hubby is 12 years my elder and in the last 8 years he has suffered a stroke, 8 renal failures (2 resulting in diaylsis), 4 heart attacks, 3-way by-pass surgery, and countless issues with his diabetes. He is now almost completly blind and requires assistance... other than that he is a perfectly fit man:lol:
Anyway...
I prefer to be called firehorse, but my real name is Tracy.

I LOVE the waratah's, they are the most beautiful assie flower (but I seem to kill them!:o :eek: )

Can I have some of that leaf mulch??? With water restrictions, and the drought, what plants I havn't managed to kill yet, will be soon... I need ground cover!!!:eek:

Anyway, tommorow I am going to give the challenge a go, and see doc about me:confused:
Anyway, see ya later and thankyou for letting me talk and ramble on... I need some where to ramble too....
thanks
Firehorse Australia

Catkin
11-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Hello everyone
don't get much chance to come in here but I'm sneaking in during my teabreak at work. Haven't done much painting recently as my new cats are so destructive they chew everything in sight - brushes, paper, paint - they're busy trying to dismantle the double glazing and our new pine doors at the moment:eek:
Was just wondering if anyone has any copies of Australian Artist or Artist pallete that they'd like to get rid of - I've posted in the swap shop if anyone can help. I live in the UK but I like to read all manner of worldwide art mags (before the cats destroy them!:lol: )
Love seeing all your photographs.
Sharon:cat:

Lady Carol
11-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Joke of the day

The Lone Ranger and Tonto went camping in the desert. After they
got their tent all set up, they fell sound asleep. Some hours later,
Tonto wakes The Lone Ranger and says, "Kemo Sabi, look towards sky, what
you see?"

The Lone Ranger replies, "I see millions of stars."

"What that tell you?" asked Tonto.

The Lone Ranger ponders for a minute, then says, "Astronomically
speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies and potentially
billions of planets. Astrologically, it tells me Saturn is in Leo. Time
wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three in the
morning. Theologically, it's evident the Lord is all-powerful and we are
small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will have a
beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you, Tonto?"

Tonto is silent for a moment, then says, "Kemo Sabi, you dumb
idiot. Someone has stolen tent."

jeff m
11-02-2006, 01:44 PM
And sometimes people like the Lone Ranger get voted into office

Lady Carol
11-02-2006, 01:48 PM
And sometimes people like the Lone Ranger get voted into office
:lol:

wintersrose
11-02-2006, 03:14 PM
:lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

dreamz
11-02-2006, 04:51 PM
When I lived in NJ (many years ago) I would drive around and collect bags of leaves from the curb to use as mulch and turn into the garden. My grandfather always wanted a bunch of bags and a local motel owner with a huge garden payed a dollar a bag. One time a man saw me loading his neighbors bags in my truck and paid me to haul his as well!!

Im a firm believer in returning to the soil, set your lawn mower on its highest setting and make a couple pases over the area, chops up the leaves so they decompose faster and add's nutrients back to the soil

jeff m
11-02-2006, 06:22 PM
My NJ township has big leaf eating trucks that pick up from the kerbside it is later sold as mulch/compost.
I mulch the leaves in the backgarden but the ones in the front get vacuumed up. It's just too much trouble to get 'em to the back esp if it's a little breezy.
But it does improve the soil a lot and well worth doing.
It is not unusual to see five foot high piles of leaves around this way.

Well I have been making a fool of myself in Sculpture, I did so much wrong,
but a few good souls came along and put me right. I got some good help, I think they thought I was a little crazy doing a head w/o at least four reference pictures. (I didn't know that's how they did it :o ) I thought you got a ball of clay and stuck a nose on it and gouged out some eyes.:D

For your amusement
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379531

I still have a way to go. but I will finish it.

meganj
11-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Hehehe Maureen, I need some place for the cats to sleep! This way I won't have to worry about losing the use of my studio when we have guests, they will be able to use what is currently my room.

I'm incredibly excited. I have four of the rafters stained, and the supporting beam! I only have about 10 to go I think. We started the framing today too. This will be single wall construction, so it makes it quicker and easier to put together. I grew up in Maine, so the thought of single wall construction still freaks me out...

DorothyC
11-03-2006, 05:50 AM
Great just reading everyones postings tonight. I didn't get to catch up before now and you've all been busy souls writing in here.
Jeff I think it's so cool the way you tackled the sculpture. Until you mentioned it I just never really thought about the various profiles you would need to study for a 3d art work. Obvious when we think about it but I would have just dived in like you did.

Dreamz I remember my Dad used to mow the leaves for the compost but I also remember they seem to take a long time to break down - particularly gum leaves. Any suggestions on the best way to get them to break down in one season? We have had leaves from the plane tree still in a solid mass at the bottom of the vegie gardens a year later. They're raised beds and we tried putting a bunch of them in before adding the soil. They worked like a weed retardent and stopped anything coming through.

Carol - :lol: :evil: :lol:

Catkin
11-03-2006, 08:44 AM
I'v noticed a few of you have 'Blogs' - would like to try one myself but I'm not sure - I need a site that's easy to use and want to cover a couple of topics - my cats/daily life and my art - what would you recommend?
Sharon:cat:

Jon
11-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Hello all you QDCers!!
Been catching up on all the news here. I have been busy with outside tasks..including more leaf herding! :lol: They do swirl from everywhere!

Re: composting.......

There are two things you can do that will improve your success in composing leaves:
Add extra nitrogen to your leaf compost. Manure is the best nitrogen supplement, and a mixture of five parts leaves to one part manure will certainly break down quickly. If you donít have manureóand many gardeners donítónitrogen supplements like dried blood, cottonseed meal, bone meal and Agrinite will work almost as well.
Nitrogen is the one factor that starts compost heating up, and leaves certainly donít contain enough nitrogen to provide sufficient food for bacteria. A rough guide for adding - two cups of dried blood or other natural nitrogen supplement to each wheelbarrow full of leaves.
The second thing is shred your leaves, because it is so easily controlled and so easy to handle. This is important because turning the pile every two or three weeks will speed the process along considerably.

Tina, I looked at your blog and enjoyed it very much! Glad to hear you have a shed.
Jeff, I think trying a new art form is very courageous and I applaud your efforts!
To you all...have a wonderful day!! :wave:

idylbrush
11-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Hey, I am down to the last two shows of the season. Have a few social obligations but nothing to serious.

Getting ready to head home for the winter art season and some rest which I dearly need. These 15 to 18 hour days are wearing on me right now.

Ran through some old files and found this and thought it was a nice diversity from what I am currently doing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2006/36241-flowersandfruit.jpg

Certainly worth a giggle for sure.....:lol:

timelady
11-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Catkin - there's actually a thread all about Blogs over in the Internet Sales Strategies forum. Lots of good tips and advice there, so check it out. I personally think Blogger is dead easy to use and get started with, though it can be quite slow loading sometimes. But I still find it really easy.
Here's the Blogging thread:

Jeff - you haven't embarrassed yourself at all. You've got great praise over in that thread. :) And rightly so.

Well, the allotment update for today.... my plastic tarps aren't waterproof so my shed is getting wet anyway. Heh. Ah well. More of a worry is that it means my huuuuuge pile of bramble cuttings probably isn't drying out well. Not sure what to do about that right now. Today I went to clear some more bramble and grass so I have an area for the shed and to get access to the metal frame left on the plot. As I hacked away happily listening to my Indigo Girls album I spotted something back in the 'woods'.... 2 somethings.... a big water butt and an old metal barrel! How cool is that???? There are water butts within proximity to all the plots but I never expected nor have I seen one at the middle point of a plot. It is like all the others on the site so I'm not sure how it got there. And I was just saying to friends that I'd like an old metal thing to burn small bits of wood in, so that's perfect. This is like a treasure hunt. :D I don't even need to plant stuff, I'm having so much fun chopping and digging.

Tina.

Lady Carol
11-03-2006, 01:08 PM
This is like a treasure hunt. :D I don't even need to plant stuff, I'm having so much fun chopping and digging.

Tina.
Have you taken a metal detector out there yet? Who knows what else you will find...roman artifacts :D

timelady
11-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Ooops, I forgot the blogging thread!
Blogging Questions and Answers: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317157
Blogging resources (the really long thread with lots of bits): http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265364

Tina.

dreamz
11-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Nascent pretty much hit on the decomposing leaves bit, if your mixing them directly into the soil they need to be chopped/shredded, a couple passes with the lawn mower is enough. Making a compost pile is a bit more involved, you need green material mixed in with the dead leaves and it needs to be turned at least once a week. Im basically lazy and go for the direct approach.

Jeff, I wouldn't have thought about needing all the veiws either, I'm the type that just dives in

Tina, I wasn't sure at first what a water butt was:lol: but I soon realized you meant a hose bib or stand alone faucet. Thats a great thing to have in a garden, and centrally located means you need less hose. When I was gardening I used soaker hose and drip irrigators connected to a timer (lazy remember:lol: )
You have to love being able to have an outdoor fire...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2006/78160-halloween_042a.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2006/78160-halloween_053.jpg

DorothyC
11-04-2006, 01:23 AM
Thanks Jon and Dreamz for the composting advice.
We've been doing some major renovations in the back garden and I keep forgetting to take before shots! Certainly creating plenty of compost apart from leaves. Got some great rain the last two days and it's made the soil really workable. We want to remove the old grassed areas and lay new lawn after we've put in an underground irrigation system. It's the only kind allowed for lawns if you want them to stayt green. It's not a large area but it will soften the look of all the paving and retaining walls around the pool.

timelady
11-04-2006, 04:31 AM
The advice I've read (on allotment forums of course! ;)) is to have two composting piles, one for leaves and one for the other stuff. Since leaves degrade differently.

A water butt is basically a water tank thingie, catches rainwater. Some do have taps on them but mine doesn't seem to. We aren't allowed to hook up hoses! No, bad. But we can fill up the tank from the tap even during a hose ban in summer. So I gotta do the watering can thing I'm afraid. :) But having it near the bit I'm clearing for planting is much more convenient.

On a side note: my allium bulbs arrived yesterday. :) I got some 'free' deals from the BBC Gardeners World magazine, 40 allium bulbs (the tall kind with small purple heads) and 200 other mixed bulbs which haven't arrived yet.

Off to dig now! :)
Tina.

jeff m
11-04-2006, 11:24 AM
The advice I've read (on allotment forums of course! ) is to have two composting piles, one for leaves and one for the other stuff. Since leaves degrade differently.

Quote Tina

I think you'll find that the advice of Jon and Doc was maybe better.
You need greens and browns for good decomposition. The right moisture level aids too, do a search on anarobic and aerobic decompostion. You'll have to spell it right though :lol:
It's the difference between a smelly heap and a hot pile.:D

So you had your "Barn raising party" was it bring a bottle or bring a spade?
"Shed putting" really but I thought I'd try and make you homesick:)

This hose ban thing in Southern England, annual event now?
Is this something that was caused by privitisation of the water systems?
I think UK must have a leak somewhere 'cos it does get its fair share of rain:)
(Yes I do know it's proccessed water that they are short of)

Thanks everyone for the sculpture encouragement.

Cheers

idylbrush
11-04-2006, 12:16 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2006/36241-SCsky.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2006/36241-fireworks.jpg

A few new images just for the fun of it.

Charlie's Mum
11-04-2006, 02:01 PM
What nice pics guys - something different - lovely!

My compost bins don't work the way they should because, although the mix was right, they don't get hot enough, so take yonks to break down!
I have bags of leaves under the hedges, just left for a few years and another pile also just left to break down - when it does, it's a lovely mulch or soil improver - but not a lot of feeding in it!
We're lucky up north here because we have Kielder Water, so hose-pipe or water bans here ........ but the reservoirs in the south are extremely low ...... and yes Jeff, there is a huge leak (or many!) in the south - Thames Water (the company there) needs to get it sorted then there wouldn't be such a chronic shortage.

Jeff, I popped over to a forum I've not visited before to see the WORK - I think you'll be leaving us to concentrate on 3D..... really excellent for a first.

Well, my other half is cooking me dinner - special - so I'll not be in a fit state to do anything after that except sit in front of the tv .............

so Cheers everyone - will be back tomorrow :D

wintersrose
11-04-2006, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=My compost bins don't work the way they should because, although the mix was right, they don't get hot enough, so take yonks to break down!
[/QUOTE]

Have you tried introducing any earthworms into the pile to break down the plant matter?

wintersrose
11-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Sorry. In case you didn't recognize it, that's a quote from Maureen's last post. I managed to muck it up somehow!:o :wave:

timelady
11-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Actually, believe it or not, we are short of rain. Our summers are very hot now which is a problem. Not to mention the ridiculous leaking of the water company pipes. Oh, and I'm not really planning a compost bin until next year so not worrying about that yet. :) Shed building still waiting... it's bonfire night so I figured this weekend no one would want to come out and help. Maybe next... gotta clear some space first though. Had great fun today moving my bramble pile though! Made a little wall.

Art news, I'm giving up my studio and transforming my living room instead. Gotta cut costs somehow. :(

Tina.