PDA

View Full Version : introduction to using casein paints.

mrtigre
10-28-2006, 06:41 PM
:wave:Hello;

I started using watercolor paints 3-4 years ago. I really enjoyed them and the variety of ways that they could be used. However, because of a lifetime history of epilepsy, I found that I was passing out while painting. After testing, my neurologist had felt it was the "ODOR" from the watercolor paints within a closed studio that caused the seizure. It was suggested that I look around for another painting media. I found "casein paints" which was a "low odor milk based paint". I bought the basic colors made by "SHIVA" from Dick Blick. I then started to try the paint out. First, thinned and then tried it out as one would an oil based paint. I didn't really like the way it looks in a painting. The watered down texture (as watercolor) doesn't seem as pure as the true water color that I used before. The oil based as well as the acrylic technique, were a bit off the mark also because or their matte finish and after applying the first matte coat to the sketch, I was unable to continue in painting in the detail because those sketches that I drew were covered by the first coat of casein paint. I realize that I have never wittiness these new techniques before, So i really was lost as to what to do.
As you know I would thank appreciate those who can help me towards the right direction.
Thanks again!:wave:

Richard Saylor
10-29-2006, 01:48 AM
Before trying to paint a masterpiece, just doodle around with the paint on some cheap paper, like Strathmore Bristol. Use it thick, use it thin. Use it in layers. Use big brushes and little brushes, stiff and soft brushes. Paint wet on wet and wet on dry. Try using a palette knife or credit card instead of a brush. The best way to learn the properties of the medium is to paint with it, but save the masterpiece until you learn what the paint will and will not do.

As you've discovered, the paint can be very opaque. You will learn that that is an advantage of casein, not really a disadvantage. Why not draw your picture on a separate sheet of paper, rub a graphite pencil all over the back of the drawing, and trace it onto your painting surface? If you obliterate your drawing with paint, just let it dry, and retrace the picture on top of the paint. (If you are one of those who believe that tracing one's own drawing is a sin, don't do it, but please pray for my soul. :evil: )

Welcome to Wet Canvas and the alternative watermedia forum.

Richard

Meisie
10-30-2006, 11:49 AM
and keep us updated on how it goes!

You made me smile Richard.... :)

JanB
11-04-2006, 07:54 AM
(If you are one of those who believe that tracing one's own drawing is a sin, don't do it, but please pray for my soul. :evil: )

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard is right just play around then try some small simple things like and apple or cup. or a very simple landscape give yourself a chance to get the feel without the pressure of producing anything "finished".