PDA

View Full Version : Yaquina Lighthouse {Another WIP}

dlwms
10-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Hope you can take another one of my wip's. This is a 9" x 12" of the Yaquina Head Lighthouse in Oregon. My first attempt at water. Remember I have no professional training. Comments and suggestions always appreciated.

fala
10-27-2006, 04:22 PM
This is very nice! Good job! The only thing that I could see is that it mught be good to warm up the rocks a bit, but it is good just as is.

rmc
10-27-2006, 05:13 PM
You're doing really well on this - good work on the perspective and reflections - will be interested in following your progress , Ruth

dreamz
10-27-2006, 07:43 PM
I havent haf "FORMAL" training either.. just years of tinkering:lol:

You chose a very nice scene and it came out really well, be careful with your horizon line, it needs to be very straight. I have the same difficulty, I solved it by not doing long horizons!:lol: seriously though a straight edge or piece of tape will help. Browse the marine section for lots of tips on doing bodies of water of all kinds

wintersrose
10-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Very nice. Like the composition. Anxious to see more!

dlwms
10-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Thanks you all for your encouraging words. It's fun to look around my studio (Ok, so my studio is the spare bedroom thats been converted to a home office/studio/hobby room) and see 7-8 of my paintings where a few weeks ago there were none. I learn something with every brush stroke and I think my paintings are improving.

Annette, thanks for your suggestion on the rocks, they do need more work.

Dreamz, The camera distorted the horizon, it is flat in the painting. I used my trusty t-square to mark the line for the horizon and the lighthouse. I just can bring myself to use masking tape, I would feel like I was cheating, a weird quirk of mine I guess.

Ruth & Rosalie, thanks for your comments. I will post more as the painting progresses. Hopefully I won't botch it up to badly.

valchina612
10-28-2006, 11:02 AM
This is coming along really well Dan, and I am looking very forward to following along with you. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

dlwms
10-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Quick photo update, found a few minutes to paints this morning. Did some work on the mid-grassy area, sky and lighthouse. Added a little of the earth color to the top of the cliff, don't know if if like this and will work more on this area.