PDA

View Full Version : Best method for flat colour?

lensman
10-27-2006, 01:29 PM
What is the method you use, if any, for getting a nice flat, textureless (large) layer of paint? The next painting I try will call for this just about everywhere and it's not something I've done a lot of. Think "pop-art" and you'll know what I mean.

I think in the past I've used Tit.White mixed with colours, which works okay for light colours, but how about darks where the paint may not be opaque enough.?

Also, do you use flow-aid to help get rid of brush marks?

Thanks for any help.

Glenn

studemobile
10-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Lensman, My acrylic technique is just the opposite (Highly textured) but here are my thoughts:
Start with a smooth gessoed surface - this may require a few coats and light sanding.
As to opacity - you may need to do some research. For Example Cadmium Yellow is opaque, Hanza Yellow is semtransparent. So you may be able to obtain what you want in opaque versions. Yes a spot of titanium white or even gesso can help opacity as well as adding an opaque (yellow orchre for example) to a transparent (yellow).
I take it easy with adding white in the orange-red range because it can turn "fleshey". In these cases I can get a tonal range by: glazing on a white field, or scumbling a white wash over the color, or drybrushing.
Finally, even a touch of black can help a color from chaulking out with to much white.

Grob
10-27-2006, 03:46 PM
You might try a sponge brush like the ones house painters use to do trim. They cost less than a buck.

Medium certainly helps paint flow. Even better would be to use high viscoty acrylics. I love the squirt bottles from Golden for this kind of stuff and those bottles have a sample on the front that demonstrates opacity.

Einion
10-27-2006, 03:51 PM
What is the method you use, if any, for getting a nice flat, textureless (large) layer of paint?
Not strictly related to texture but more of a visual equivalent: it's often best to try to use opaque paints when seeking to achieve even coverage.

Other keys to achieving this are using paint at just the right consistency (it'll tend to settle and not hold brushmarks), working quickly (so the paint isn't drying on the support) and using soft-hair brushes.

...but how about darks where the paint may not be opaque enough.?
Lots of thin layers - it's tedious but it may be the only way. When we took up this painting lark nobody said it was easy! :)

You could also try underpainting in an opaque mixture that's close to the final colour you want, then going in with the transparent/semitransparent paint, rather than trying to use the latter straight over a white base.

Also, do you use flow-aid to help get rid of brush marks?
Not really; I almost always use a little dishwashing liquid in my rinsing and mixing water which acts as a mild flow improver so it'll help with this.

What surface you're working on will also play a part. Funny as it may seem a very smooth ground may actually work against you in this area since it'll tend to show up even the slightest flaws, but it depends on the scale you're working and quite how smooth you want to go.

I should mention this although it's not something you'll be able to do immediately, or may not even want to consider, but spraying would sure help, irrespective of the paint type or colour.

Einion

lensman
10-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Lots of thin layers - it's tedious but it may be the only way. When we took up this painting lark nobody said it was easy! :)

I should mention this although it's not something you'll be able to do immediately, or may not even want to consider, but spraying would sure help, irrespective of the paint type or colour.

Einion

Easy it aint!!

Yes, I have an airbrush and used to love using it but spending an hour cutting a mask and then spraying for 10 seconds became REALLY tedious!!

For a large, unmasked, area it is ideal, though.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Glenn

meganj
10-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Eiither Liquitex or Golden has an opaque medium that you can mix with your paints. It's called Liquitex Matte Opaque Gel Extender, it looks white, and doesn't change the color significantly. An 8oz jar cost me $10.99 at Ben Franklin.

Jackie339
10-28-2006, 06:24 PM
This might sound ridiculous, but how about a paint roller. I just painted my bathroom, so that's why I thought of it.

Grob
10-28-2006, 08:06 PM
I use a roller when I want texture.