PDA

View Full Version : Casein & Acrylic or Latex?

tuta
10-25-2006, 07:37 PM
First of all, I think I died and went to heaven to find a casein forum! I truly enjoy this medium - it has so many nuances. So - I am a mural artist and most of my experience is directly on the wall with casein. Beautiful - people love to touch it because it looks so soft, etc. But not very translatable to canvas as it is too brittle. OR so I thought until I saw some murals that were done with "casein and latex". I should have asked for more details because I am not clear on whether or not the artist meant "acrylic" - is it possible that in France latex and acrylic mean the same thing?

I have seen a couple of comments on mixing casein with acrylic medium in this forum, but it didn't seem clear as to whether or not this is a workable mix for canvas murals. And where would one get clear latex to mix with casein?

Thanks for your help!

Richard Saylor
10-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Why not just use matte acrylic paint or acrylic gouache? Mixing acrylic medium with casein changes the appearance of the paint film and makes it look more like acrylic gouache anyhow.

Richard

dbclemons
10-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Latex is a plant rubber, and there's a synthetic version of it that looks like acrylics so they're often called latex, but they actually have no latex in them. There are also vinyl paints which are of the same acrylic "family," but they're manufactured slightly different. Some people mix in acrylic polymers to casein to extend its shelf life or working characteristics, but as Richard said it makes it essentially behave as an acrylic paint.

There's a theatre supply company called Rosco (http://www.rosco.com/us/scenic/index.asp)that makes paints, casein and acrylics, for stage painting. Nice brushes too. I'm sure you'd find them very useful for murals.

tuta
10-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks, both of you, for your replies. I think I will just have to experiment. I like the matte appearance and colors that you can achieve with casein and just haven't found the same with acrylics. Mostly I am looking to make the casein more flexible...I do realize that an acrylic medium might change the behavior of the casein somewhat. Am going to experiment with a mixture of half acrylic medium and half casein emulsion with the casein out of the tube.

Thanks for the Rosco site - I have heard of them before - will have to give it a try!

a. ladd
10-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Using the vinyl or vinyl acrylic hybrid paints (cel vinyl, acryla, polycolor, absolute matte, flashe, etc.) will give you a more intense, fine-grind matte finish than adding medium to regular acrylics. They are also generally quit flexible and some (like cel vinyl) will have decent flow and coverage, like casein.

tuta
10-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks - never heard of these. Some of them are hard to find (just doing an internet search)...and the acryla seems to be delicate and not light fast...but the cel vinyl and flashe sound good. I will have to get some and try it out.