PDA

View Full Version : Mathmagic

BlackTigr
03-29-2002, 12:49 AM
I wanted to show someone the painting I was talking about, so I figured I'd upload it here, too.

Bad flash takes away some of the effect of the geometricness (if that's a word), but this was a painting where the assignment was to teach us how to use tape to make straight edges on a canvas.

Acrylics on oval canvas, I think it's 16x20...Might be wrong.

--BT

paintergirl
03-29-2002, 12:29 PM
Love the effect, very bold! I like that the canvas is a contrast to the work itself too...

Lighting is a problem when photographing acrylics isnt it, I have had that sheen appear many times trying to get a shot...

Great work BlackTigr:clap:

Loxley
03-30-2002, 11:11 PM
This is so totally different, I just love it. What a neat approach to get subject in a different light. Doing the artwork on an oval canvas really set the whole thing off. This is a keeper I think, I love it. :clap:

Geoff
03-31-2002, 01:26 AM
Spiralistically good. :clap:

BlackTigr
03-31-2002, 02:11 AM
Thank you so very much for your comments.

sgore, that's what my teacher said when I showed him this painting. Wow, I would never have thought to do this on an oval canvas...I love this painting, too. It is the one that hangs in my art room right now. :cat:

Geoff, pithy comment. :) I never thought of it being spiral-ish. Thank you for giving me a different idea of how to look at it.

paintergirl, thanks...Lighting is definitely a problem, and I am going to see if I can get a better shot of this one. This was taken in my old apartment, and it didn't have the access to natural light that my house does.

--BT

Drumbeat-trish
03-31-2002, 04:24 AM
Said it before-say it again- this is great BT- has a real fascination to it - go girl :D

mf.sutton
03-31-2002, 04:50 AM
excellent picture - Mike:clap:

paintergirl
03-31-2002, 11:47 AM
I sometimes borrow a friend's digital camera now to take photos...this thing does everything but fold the laundry and cook you dinner... LOL But it has great zoom and seems better able to work with lighting...

Really like the graphic nature of the painting ...scrolled back up to take another look!:D

Caron
03-31-2002, 12:29 PM
Hey BT, the oval canvas was a nice compliment to the hard edges of the painting..:) Like the repitition of the design to! Draws you right into the centre of it...

BlackTigr
03-31-2002, 10:34 PM
trish, thanks for commenting on it somewhere I could save it. :)

Mike, thanks.

paintergirl, my camera is digital, also...but it doesn't really do well for closeups. The panorama shots I can get with it are pretty incredible, tho.

Caron, thanks...I had originally planned to build a round canvas for this painting, but then found out how hard that is. :eek: I settled for the oval that was on sale at the ceramics store that was going out of business. Wish I could find the original sketch that I made for this painting. I hadn't figured out the stuff outside the middle pentagon before I started painting, so I pretty much took the time to figure out each consecutive triangle by itself.

--BT

amanda
04-05-2002, 09:25 PM
Very nice effect, like the oval canvas too.