PDA

View Full Version : Prismacolors Markers for Skin Tones

Jabberwockie
10-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Which prismacolor markers work well for skin tones? I try to use peach and goldenrod, but they always come out too dark. Would anybody suggest going over them in a wash of white colored pencil to lighten them?

DBSullivan
10-24-2006, 02:00 AM
It's been a while since I used them, but I don't think you want to use colored pencil.... you could try, but I don't think it'll work. Why don't you get some scrap board/paper and try an experiment... brushing a thin layer of of water down first and adding the peach marker ontop (kinda like doing watercolor). Just a thought.... too many years with a pen in my hand! :rolleyes:

tattoo
10-25-2006, 04:13 AM
well the one thing about the markers is that the colors will be darker or even look "muddy" if not used on the correct paper. Markers work the best on 100% Rag Translucent marker paper. I have used them on cold press to do some cartoon style work, but other than that Ive tried to stay away from other types of paper or board, as the colors do come off different.

some good colors to try skin tone with are
DECO PEACH
BURNT OCHRE
SAND
LIGHT PEACH

try different combinations of the ones listed, make sure not to over work the markers as they will become muddy. Also try to use some low % cool greys

Jabberwockie
10-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the hint about the paper!

JanetteBC
10-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Since I use both pencils and pens - I know a little about prismacolor pencils and some about how ink works, with the pencils not the markers you are speaking of, my base for caucasion skin is beige tones (also use white of paper ) and the peaches, pinks are applied sparingly, I use a larger palette for my darks than you would with pens, however I use a combination of light browns, light blues and dark browns, dark blues. Personally I don't like to use a lot of grays, light blue over beiges and flesh tones have a better quaility of gray imho. It's all personal preference in the end.