PDA

View Full Version : help with colour management please

artbird
10-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi,

Any tips for using colour in Painter IX.5 so that the colours will match the final printed result?

I don't really understand how this works or what to do...

madster
10-23-2006, 06:19 PM
When in doubt, read your User Manual or Help Files...

There is a very good tutorial on Color Management that can be accessed through the link on the last page of the Welcome screen under "Color Management." It will take you step by step through the different ways it can be set up including explanations.

Also, a Web Search often will answer your questions much faster than waiting on a forum for someone...

~M

artbird
10-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at the help files and on the internet, but I really don't have a clue, so was hoping for someone to explain what it is all about in simple language!

I have tried saving my files in Tif form in CMYK and in RGB, of course they look totally different, and I don't know which one will look more like the final print. The CMYK files even look different depending on whether I view them in Painter, as a thumbnail in Explorer, or using Irfan.

Should I be saving in CMYK for professional printer output?

I'm very confused.

Elainepsq
10-23-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm not familiar with color management in Painter, but maybe some of this will help you understand. As a general rule, when you are printing a file, you usually save as CMYK, as those are the printer ink colors. When you are saving to be viewed on screen (video or web) you save as RGB. Colors are always brighter in RGB. If you work in RGB and convert, you will find the colors become a bit duller.
It always a good idea when using a professional printer, to call and get on friendly terms with someone in the pre-press department. They can be a wealth of information, and answer alot of questions. Perhaps someone there is familiar with painter and has output painter files in the past and can explain it all.
Many times color will vary when you view a file in different programs, so I always try to print from the original document when possible.

subs
10-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Color management between Painter IX and Photoshop from John Derry.

http://img481.imageshack.us/my.php?image=consistentcolorvp7.jpg

barryt
10-24-2006, 09:42 AM
I always save a RGB. The difference between the colour on the screen and in print depends on the colour profiles. Because I use pigment inks in a dye based printer I have a colour profile from the company to alter the printer. I also calibrate my screen quite often. Other than being duller (of course) my prints match my onscreen image. If I have cards or prints made commercially, they seem satisfied with my RGB file. I use an iMac.

subs
10-24-2006, 10:17 AM
It is not necessary to use Adobe RGB. I use sRGB for all my profile because my printer is sRGB. BTW, most inkjet printer is sRGB unless it comes with RIP then you have to CMYK.