PDA

View Full Version : Escape From the Big Box of Crazy

crweixelman
10-23-2006, 06:35 AM
This is 12" X 16" on wrapped canvas. I wish I could have done it twice as big but I am running low on both time and money. I have a show Nov. 3rd and only have 1 and a half of five pieces finished. Augh!

Everyone who has seen it so far (friends and family) has really liked it, but no-one seems to pick up on the meaning. Hmmmm....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2006/81705-escapefromthebigboxofcrazy.jpg

SuzySue
10-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Oh, love it.

As for meaning, letting your creative side out and not being a little drone doing as told.

crweixelman
10-23-2006, 07:27 AM
I didn't realize what the meaning was until I finished the sketch. My sketches often take form in a "stream of conciousness" and sometimes I reveal alot more about my psyche than I intend to. In this case it's not an especially flattering view of it. The meaning is that I feel both overwhelmed and controlled by motherhood. I suppose I'm glad that it isn't obvious. I like your explanation better, Sue. :p

Albert Wagner
10-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Being "Overwhelmed and controlled by motherhood", is apparently, for you, also being overwhelmed and controlled by joy. It don't get no better than that.

Southafricannovice
10-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Paintings with meanings:clap:, one thing I am still working on. I like it a lot!

Jon
10-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Letting the "crazies" out of the box...how creatively therapeutic! :clap:
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Tiasa
10-23-2006, 02:27 PM
I loved this picture. It made me smile. We all have our big boxes of crazy that we want to escape from. I also think this is a very joyful picture.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Heidi7Sue
10-24-2006, 06:03 AM
I think the meaning isn't readily apparent because it isn't obvious that you're the windup toy. You could have just as easily been the clown.:evil:

So how many kids do you have? I have a friend who has 8, and she doesn't seem overwhelmed yet. Can't imagine. I have 2, and I can sympathize with being overwhelmed. Not controlled, though. Fat chance - I'm bigger than they are, and more stubborn.

Anyway, love the painting. It's full of life!

Heidi

Grob
10-24-2006, 11:20 PM
I didn't realize what the meaning was until I finished the sketch.You're lucky you were the one to figure it out. Some of my work I don't know what it's about until a friend tells me. Those are the most cathartic pieces for me.

Once you find out what a painting is about, you might consider reworking it or having another go at it to sharpen that for your audience. For this piece, I'd experiment with the POV to make it clear that the artist is not a clown.

Heidi7Sue
10-25-2006, 01:51 AM
[quote=Grob]Some of my work I don't know what it's about until a friend tells me. [quote]

You must have perceptive freinds!

Grob
10-25-2006, 03:04 PM
You must have perceptive freinds!There's that and there's the fact that it's difficult to be objective about yourself and then there's denial.