PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into the way of painting

NaomiThePainter
10-22-2006, 10:24 PM
This is my first post! Yay! :) I've had a look around here a bit after finding the site through google and decided to register today! :)

I paint with acrylics. LOVE THEM! :cool:

But I haven't done much of it for a while. Painting is something I pick up every now and then. But I want to start painting more and more. I've had a busy year, I got married and lots of other stuff happening, but things are finally settling down and I want to paint and finally have the time to!

I got it all out of the cupboard on Saturday and found myself with painters-block. I doodled on some paper a bit but was uninspired....

What's a good way to get back in the way of it?

Lady Carol
10-22-2006, 11:16 PM
G'day Naomi, welcome to the forum. Yeah!!!! Another Aussie.

Check out our Different Strokes thread at the top of the forum for inspiration. There is also the reference library. I find that generally is not that helpful if you have no idea what you want to paint but if you know, then there are squillions of pics and hopefully what you want to paint is covered.

dreamz
10-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Just play with the colors and get reaquanted with the brush

magicash
10-23-2006, 01:45 AM
I'm still quite new to painting, but I remember recently reading a quote that something like "the work comes from the work itself" and I think this was a Monet book I was reading but for the life of me I cannot find the source again. But basically he was saying... just start something, anything... and the inspiration is intrinsic. It was saying that artists get frozen because they think they must be hit by lightning with inspiration, but really you just need to start painting, even if you don't know what it will be.

Right now I have done just a handful of paintings based on photo reference and mainly to "self-teach" myself and just get the feel for this. But the idea of just starting a painting with only a vague or even zero idea what the painting might be seems like cliff diving or bungie jumping. But I think this quote was meant to be more practical to the professional artist... one who does lots of paintings to earn a living. He was just saying get ANYTHING started and from it, you will become inspired.

(i'lll keep looking for that quote!)