PDA

View Full Version : Quick Dry Cafe Oct 22 - 28

Lady Carol
10-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Good morning QDCers :wave:

I get to spend money on art supplies (yippee!!! :D) I am hoping to get a little more motivated in the art department. I haven't done anything for a while now except struggle with a drawing that really isn't working. I have finally decided that the recycle will get it and I will just move on.

Also, I am buying a refridgerator, bar fridge, and microwave for work. All essential appliances in the lab. These things can be bought from science companies but a regular refridgerator that retails at Sears for $800 is upwards of $2000 through a science supplier. I don't need anything fancy and it is only to store solutions and chemicals that need to be frozen, etc. No food is to be stored or cooked in any of these. My goal is for a reasonably functional lab by the end of the week. I have been at my new job for 4 weeks now and it still doesn't do anything. However, I have a pH meter, balance, power supplies, and spectrophotometer on order, and these should arrive in a couple of days. Things are starting to happen. :thumbsup:

timelady
10-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Well, the girls in the studio next to me decided to get a fridge for work too. :D Not quite the same eh?

Allotment is up and running!!! Yesterday was Day One and I cleared a side of bramble. Just chopping it down, roots are still in and I'll dig them up further into autumn. Today went again and forked up my first little flower bed. Whee! This one is for flower bulbs to go in soon so I actually want to get the grass and roots out rather than just dig it in. Going to leave it a bit to let the grasses re-grow then fork roots out again and dig it up properly. The dug up bit is being piled up to make a raised bed for potatoes along the side. I'm getting far too many ideas on allotment forums and blogs. :) I'm exhausted now. This will get me fitter if nothing else! I have a 15 minute uphill cycle there and then an hour or so of work, downhill cycle home. More exercise can only be good. Now I have to raid some skips for old 2x4s to border off my dug areas as I go along.

Started a blog about it, don't know who will actually read it though!
http://artist-allotment.blogspot.com

Tina.

meganj
10-22-2006, 02:22 PM
I understand that work thing. I haven't painted for a few days now, there's a guest sleeping in my studio! On top of that, yesterday we poured the slabs for the office and my new studio/bedroom!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2006/67498-Office_Slab.JPG

and here's the slab for my 16' x 16' studio/bedroom:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2006/67498-Studio_Slab.JPG
It will have 3 windows and a skylit ceiling. I will finally have enough space!

timelady
10-22-2006, 03:19 PM
COOL! Wanna come pour me a base for a wee shed? ;) You must be really looking forward to the new space.

Tina.

dreamz
10-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Not sure I want to peek in Carols fridge:lol:

Tina have you considered covering the weedy areas with black plastic? (garbage bags work well for smaller areas) deprive the seeds and roots of sunlet for a couple weeks and also heat the soil.. viola! no weeds/grass.

Meg, you only have a lot of room until you move in, then you'll be asking yourself why didn't I double this!:lol: Seriously though, Good Luck with the building! keep us updated!!!

Lady Carol
10-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Not sure I want to peek in Carols fridge:lol:
Sometimes I don't want to peek into it either.

I managed to get everything a lot cheaper than anticipated which is always a good thing. As I already have a dedicated freezer, I bought a refridgerator that doesn't have a freezer bit, no ice maker either as we have an industrial one in the department, then bought a bar fridge for my office and decided on a slightly smaller one due to space contraints and then a fairly large microwave for cooking all those experiments in. At the end of the day it was less than $800 including the delivery charge to work. I had originally estimated $1200.

Jon
10-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Greetings fellow QDCers!!

Carol, I know what you mean about the price differences for lab equipment vs. 'regular' appliances! Rather silly, isn't it?
I am glad to hear that you are getting things in place so that you can get on with your work!
Tina, how wonderful that you are enjoying your new garden plot. It is hard work but doesn't it feel good when you're done? I find gardening to be absolutely soul satisfying.
Megan, looks inviting. Now, when is it finished and what shall my wife and I bring when we visit? :) Actually, we have family in Oahubut finding the time is always the difficulty.
Btw: did you suffer any damage from the quake?

Well, a good day to the rest of you who are just looking in today.
Howard, will you be back home soon?

:)
Be well!!

jeff m
10-23-2006, 10:20 AM
also heat the soil.. viola! Quote
Doc, She's in England no sun scheduled for a while :D

Tina, Did you consider those brambles could be Gooseberries or Raspberries.
Even if you don't eat them they could be good barter.

I have temporarily defected to sculpture, I'm going to have a go at some "mud pie stuff" and try to make a head (they call it a bust).
If it turns out human I shall be making a mold and casting too.
Then buying a new carpet:)

Carol, I'm sure the Fed Gov pays a lot more for a fridge just to keep their "half and half" cool :mad:
Out of interest, what's the difference? is it capable of maintaining a more accurate temp?

timelady
10-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Jeff - the brambles are blackberries (mulberry?) type things. They are wonderful but they are taking over the entire allotment area - not just mine but the whole place. They're just too invasive to keep. I'm going to be uprooting these things for years I predict. ;) I've even cut over into the next plot because their branches reach out and then root at the ends! So I figured I'd just keep them as far away from me as possible. :)

Tina.

idylbrush
10-23-2006, 12:39 PM
About three more weeks till home. Yippee!

Here are some pics from my garden as supplied by my dear sis.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2006/36241-roopawsweb.jpg

My Kangaroo paws are looking rather healthy for plants that were doubtful t grow here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2006/36241-thunbergiablue
Blue Thunbergia vine. This plant has all but taken over about 20 feet of fencing. Covered with these 5" blue flowers. Quite lovely.

Drive by howdy doo for now.

Jon
10-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Good day all QDCers!

Thanks for the flower picture, Howard. It is much appreciated.
Our colors are changing in anticipation of a new season.

Last hold out........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2006/68882-last_color.jpg

Final bursts.......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2006/68882-last_colortwo.jpg

:wave: Be well!

Lady Carol
10-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Out of interest, what's the difference? is it capable of maintaining a more accurate temp?
No more accurate than a regular one. They tend to look more trendy and have glass sliding doors. Some may have an electrical outlet in there for equipment. Also they fit things like 24 inch columns for protein purification. But as I just needed one that went to 4oC, a Kenmore was good enough for me.

DorothyC
10-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Just dropping by to say hello. I've been off the air again!! Just when things looked to be working okay with the computer it started sounding as though a hive of bees were inside! :eek:
Took it back to where I bought it and ended up having the hard drive reformatted. Some truly weird things happened when I reloaded the operating system a few months back. Anyway with a wallet $500 lighter I feel as though I have a new computer. Extra memory and a DVD burner were part of the deal soo it's not as bad as it sounds. When they backed up my files - photos in particular they were rather shocked that there was something in the vicinity of 30,000 pictures. At least now they're all backed up courtesy of the new burner. Youd be surprised at how easy it is to have that many pictures on the computer.

Still got a way to go before I'll be fully functional as I'm still reloading programs. It sounds as though everyone else is really busy too. Just watch out for those blackberry brambles Tina - they're vicious. I've been clearing back part of my garden and found some that had settled in - those barbs are way worse than rose thorns.

jeff m
10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Nice pics everyone, my garden is a mess.
Dorothy, AUS$500 :eek: I hope the Aussie $ is smaller than our one.

As I'm too scared to post this in Sculpture or Clay here is my head after three hours work. I started by making a skull then added the muscles, I still have a long way to go. I added temporary lips and nose because I found it hard to get the head shape w/o them. Evidently, it's get the shape, then add the "bits".
This is a lot of fun, but way more difficult than I imagined.

Lady Carol
10-24-2006, 11:19 AM
How cool Jeff. Are you in a class? I wouldn't mind doing sculpture but have to serious find the time. I will live vicariously through this, so post more updates.

I am a little achy today...fell off the horse last night going at a bit of a clip. Oh well these things happen. At least it was indoors and the footing was soft-ish.

dreamz
10-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Nice start Jeff! anytime we expand outside our comfort zone its a good thing.......... unless your comfort zone is the mid 80 degrees, it's midday and the temp is an unseasonally cold 63!!!

jeff m
10-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Carol,
I do hope you are ok, it's a long way down from up there. Was it a regular ride or a strange/new horse?

Clay, am I in a class? .......no, but I looked for one, I could only find "paint a vase" or "clay for kids". Despite my approach to life I no longer qualify as a Kid. :)
I read all the stickies in the sculpture forum, got a book (1950ish) from the library, and posted a couple of clay questions. (compatability clay, mold and mother mold) Ordered clay from Blick and off I went.

Doc,.......65F eh, up here we are only concerned with what it says on the thermostat, what's outside stays outside :) Damn windy today. Currently 48F but seems a lot colder.

pearl_verde
10-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Hello everyone! On suggestion of LadyCarol I have come to say hello here and introduce myself. :-)

I'm a 20 year old artist artist and designer from Oklahoma, I am thus far self taught although often times I wish I wasnt. I live in a quite isolated town with hardly any hint of culture and barely a sign of intelligent lifeforms. Lets see...I usually work in watercolors but am venturing into acrylic lately. I have been designing cross stitch patterns for a great company for a little over a year now and am currently working on designing a set of paint by numbers for children for another company. I have let myself become restricted in my subject matter due to the demand of the cross stitch company I work for (they want fantasy art faeries) and would really like to spread my wings and explore the world of 'fine art'. I have been called disabled by doctors since I was about 14 and it was found that I have bi-polar disorder and some other mental problems, however I refuse to be labeled 'dis-abled' and go on SSI because for me, that would be the easy way out and I would never really know if I could make a success of my art and design work. I want to be able to make a decent living from my art but I dont want to have to paint faeries for the rest of my days just to make my living. A friend in the art community suggested I join here at WC and so I have. Looking for friends, advice and support, and of course to give all these things in return to this wonderful community.

DorothyC
10-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Wow Amanda (or do you go by your second name of Pearl?) :wave: First off welcome to the forum - you are an inspiration. At such a young age to already be achieving all those great things with your art. I too am restricted with what I paint commercially and instead would love to be painting fantasy!!:lol: :lol:

Jeff the $ is roughly $380US for $500Aus. It's still a lot of money when Microsoft caused the problem to start with. Admittedly the cost wasn't all fixing the microsoft problems and it's nice to have extra memory!:lol: :rolleyes: Good for you with the clay. Although I work with porcelain clays I only do freeform moulding or slipcasting. I'd love to find time to hand build.

Ouch Carol - You obviously enjoy life in the fast lane:lol: I do hope you aren't feeling too bruised.:heart:

Jon
10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Hello my fellow QDCers!!!:)

Welcome Pearl! Glad you are here with us!

Jeff, I think it is great that you are expanding your creative world.
Carol, don't forget to get back on that critter! ;)
Dorothy, I wondered where you had disappeared to recently.
dreamz, that sound a bit chilly for Florida!

A bit of Fall color setting in now....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2006/68882-fall.jpg

:wave: Be well!!

DorothyC
10-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks Jon. I guess I was starting to go into withdrawal symptoms!! :lol:

Here's some pics taken during the school holidays at Tidbinbilla nature reserve. It's a wonderful place to go and just wander among the wildlife. I's about ten minute drive from the outskirts of Canberra and is a huge area where you can drive for miles. Sadly a lot of the area was burnt out in the bushfires a couple fo years back and a lot of the animals perished. They are slowly returning at last.

This photo was taken in the Koala area and you can see from the bare branches how big the gum trees were. All the trees are now regrowing but don't have the size branches needed for the koalas to roam comfortably.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2006/59250-P1030023.jpg

Apologies for the glare and strong contrasts in the photos but it was the middle of the day - not a good time to be taking the photos.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2006/59250-P1020971.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2006/59250-P1030087.jpg

For now everything looks reasonably green I hate to think what it will be like come summer. We are getting so little rain.

Lady Carol
10-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Carol,
I do hope you are ok, it's a long way down from up there. Was it a regular ride or a strange/new horse?

Jeff, it was a horse that I have been riding for the past 2 years. This time though it was without stirrups at the canter and the change in the weather probably made him more frisky than expected. I have cantered without stirrups numerous times with him in the past but I couldn't get him to stop when the exersize was finished and in the end and he went faster and faster (I panicked). It was a half a bail off and a fall off as I couldn't see how to solve the problem. Yes, it was a long way down. He is about 5'4" at the wither and going about 20 miles/hr.

Jon, I had to get back on and canter again. That is part of getting over the fear of what just happened. So I climbed right back on and cantered around. That time I was allowed my stirrups and he was well behaved. Probably because I have cantered him so often that I know how he will ride. I knew before I did it, it wasn't going to be a problem. Incidentally I was jumping fences at the end of the lesson too, so obviously the mental trauma wasn't too much ;) But, I am now worried that tomorrow night will be canter without stirrups. Oh well.

Hello Pearl (Amanda) welcome to our chat thread. It is wonderful to get to know you further. As you can see we are a rather friendly bunch and if you like the chat about anything, well...this thread is the place to do it. Your art is beautiful. I think you can make a decent living at it with some prudent planning and effort. If you believe you can reach the stars then, you will achieve that. It is all a state of mind (belief in yourself). What is not to like about your art? Go out and market yourself.

Dorothy, I have missed you too. I was a little disappointed to find you missing for the past couple of weeks. We have some people who come and go. I didn't think you were going to be one of those but you never truly know. People do get sidetracked and forget about WC! I am glad that you are back on line and posting. :wave:

DorothyC
10-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks Carol. It's so good to have the computer acting normal again. It now boots up in about a minute where it was taking up to 15 - 20 minutes!! It really feels like a brand new machine.

I'll be thinking of you when you go riding without stirrups again! Never having been closer to a horse than patting the nose - it's all scary stuff to me! :o

dreamz
10-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Pearl, welcome to WC, Ive enjoyed your posts..

I grew up in southern New Jersey (not many horses at the shore) but Ive lived in florida for close to 20 yrs and we break outthe flannels when it drops below 75degrees, this house is basically a cinderblock box and cools off quicklywhen the temp drops outside but it IS florida.. we have central air AND 3 large window units for cooling, the heat pump takes forever to warm the house so a couple of portable radiators are the main heat source.. thankfully its supposed to be back in the mid 80's tomorrow!

Dorothy, those are really cool pics, one of the best features of this forum is being able to see so much of the world through others eyes both in pictures and paintings

DorothyC
10-25-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm glad you like them Dreamz. I agree - it's great armchair travel around here!!:thumbsup: Certainly makes the world a whole lot smaller too!

Jon
10-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Hello All :)

dreamz that is so very true...once you are accustomed to that heat, any drop feels Cold!
I agree with you and Dorothy, photos here are great fun!
Carol, it is so important to hop right back on that animal. isn't it? I have only ever ridden western style so cannot relate to the stirrup-less feel. We rode for herding cattle (as a youth) and some fun - never a show. It's nice that you enjoy it so much. I recall the excitement my children showed the first time they rode.

How about some "Fall Feathers".........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2006/68882-fallfeathers.jpg

:wave: Be well!

Lady Carol
10-25-2006, 11:41 AM
I'll be thinking of you when you go riding without stirrups again! Never having been closer to a horse than patting the nose - it's all scary stuff to me! :o
It is so much fun (well not Monday night's bit). We do a lot of work without stirrups and reins. But not together. You are suppose to be able to balance without needing anything from the horse like laying on his mouth or gripping with grim determination with your legs. It is so your centre of gravity is directly over the horses. It takes a lot to learn that adequately. I have gone over jumps without stirrups and without reins. There is always some work in the lesson without stirrups.

Jon, western riding is so uncomfortable for me. I went on a trail ride a couple years ago and at the end I was nearly crying from the leg pain. Not sure I will do that again in a hurry.

Love the feather grasses by the way.

idylbrush
10-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Welcome Pearl. Would like to see some of your work.

In the meantime, here are a few new photos I was able to get yesterday.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2006/36241-wood.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2006/36241-Southernfall.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2006/36241-caboose1.jpg

That is a start...

timelady
10-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Jon, love the fall feathers.... aaaaah, wispy!

Pearl, Welcome!!! to the madhouse. ;)

Digging again today. Broke my fork even! Darned bramble root. But carried on regardless. I just wish it wouldn't rain exactly when I decide to go out. :) Oh, and quick tip of the day: don't cycle in Timberland work boots. It's like having to pedal with lead weights on your feet! :D

Tina.

idylbrush
10-25-2006, 04:11 PM
As time allows.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2006/36241-Caboose2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2006/36241-SCscene.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2006/36241-trailer,SC.jpg
My humble home during the summer.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2006/36241-wood2.jpg

DorothyC
10-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Well Carol you certainly are a lady of many exceptional talents. I certainly can't imagine doing jumps without stirrups or reins. What the heck do you hang on with! I know it's all about balance. Hey I have trouble not falling over my own feet! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Tina you crack me up with the Timberlands! You must be getting so much satisfaction from clearing all that mess. For me the larger the weeds the more satisfying the job!! Don't give me tiny fiddly ones to pull out - you can't see enough change for the effort.:lol: :lol:

Great pictures there Howard. I was trying to figure what piece of machinery the third shot was attached to. I'm guessing it was the red carriage. Is that someones on-site van? Certainly looks like a great summer life style!

Lady Carol
10-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Well Carol you certainly are a lady of many exceptional talents. I certainly can't imagine doing jumps without stirrups or reins. What the heck do you hang on with! I know it's all about balance. Hey I have trouble not falling over my own feet! :lol: :lol:

Balance through the legs mainly. You let your weight go down your legs as opposed to gripping with them. That is all that it should be. Some riders lay on their mouth for balance and that can make their mouth sore. They don't like that. You want about 0.5kg of weight off their mouth to your hands. Your hands have to make a straight line between the elbow to their mouth. Sometimes you ask for more forward effort to get them to go slower. A very counter intuitive approach but instead of them going faster they compact themselves and their energy goes into their collection.

Anyway, note how unhappy this squirrel looks. Well, he was seen (by my hubbie) bonking the the poor duck. This duck has travelled around the world with us.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2006/11811-Squirrel.jpg
it will never be the same again. Errrr at least everytime we see it, we will break out in hysterics. He was not quick enough to snap the evidence.

DorothyC
10-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Fascinating Carol. There really is an art to riding that I had no idea about. It will make me more appreciative of performances in the ring in future.:thumbsup: :cool:

As for the poor squirrel!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Great photo though!

jeff m
10-26-2006, 01:14 AM
This equine stuff is very interesting, I did have to read that last one a few times before I understood it correctly.:)
I think I shall wait until they start breeding them with brakes.

Howard...what is that third pic?

Here is my lump of clay, now at the 4hr mark.
It has a temporary lump for an ear to check the jaw bone and a joke moustache.

A few more hours in and I may post in clay or sculpture :o

Lady Carol
10-26-2006, 10:54 AM
I think I shall wait until they start breeding them with brakes.

They do have brakes, but as with cars, sometimes the brakes fail :lol:

idylbrush
10-26-2006, 11:02 AM
The "mechanicals" are part of the red caboose or carriage. It is being fully restored and is part of the ground here at my current location. The red and ble reflections are of some interest I think. The wood shot is part of a structure on he grounds as well.

jeff m
10-26-2006, 11:22 AM
They do have brakes, but as with cars, sometimes the brakes fail :lol:

I thought you had to wait for them to run out of hay.

Thanks Howard, all is clear now. Super pics BTW.

timelady
10-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Jeff that's coming along wonderfully! Definitely post over in clay or sculpture.

Today I cleared the rest of the bramble on the front half of the plot. Not dug up the roots but at least the chopping, ie the bit where you get stabbed a lot with thorns, is done. And found the cutters I lost yesterday. :) The only trouble now is that I never want to come home!

Tina.

DorothyC
10-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Jeff I can see you're really enjoying yourself playing in mud - or is that "happy as a pig in mud"? :lol: I don't know if you know that saying but it's one we use to describe enjoying what you're doing. I have to remember that we all live in different parts of the world and I could sound insulting!:rolleyes:

Seriously, congratulations on going into new territory - you have a real flair.

So Tina - how's the back holding out? You sure sound like you're having a great time. What's the camping like? :lol: :lol:

jeff m
10-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Jeff I can see you're really enjoying yourself playing in mud - or is that "happy as a pig in mud"? :lol: I don't know if you know that saying but it's one we use to describe enjoying what you're doing. I have to remember that we all live in different parts of the world and I could sound insulting!:rolleyes:

I remember it as "as happy as a pig in s**t" and yes, that would be a good description. (I can say that can't I :eek: )

Tina, yes I did decide to post in clay (for eye help).
I can sypathise with your bramble clearing I have just removed 6 bushes and six root balls this afternoon. No thorns though:)

objectivistartist
10-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Just a note - the last of those great photos [the leaf and hook being the other two], the pears, spawned an interesting work by my friend which I thought y'all would like seeing.....:clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2006/44482-11811-pears-small.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2006/44482-4th_pear-Gay.jpg

Just to let y'all know those photos get put to good use....:thumbsup:

Robert

Lady Carol
10-26-2006, 07:55 PM
I am really really chuffed that those 3 pics got used. They were my best of the day's expedition. My other two photography companions are threatening that they won't invite me along anymore, cause I see stuff that they don't. Or rather an angle that they don't think of.

Anyway tell your friend that it is an excellent painting.

dreamz
10-26-2006, 11:35 PM
chuffed? from the context I think that means your happy/thrilled

Lady Carol
10-27-2006, 09:28 AM
chuffed? from the context I think that means your happy/thrilled
Yes! Chuffed!!! Very pleased with one's self