PDA

View Full Version : How to use Atelier Interactive acrylic and what mediums do I buy if any?

spiggle
10-22-2006, 09:34 AM
How do I use interactive acrylics like this: paint like regular acrylics, fast drying, some dry brushing until I get to that stage where I am ready to blend and do more finer work. I could just use what acrylics I already got for the base but I can't afford to buy both the interactive and the regular kind of acrylic.

Do I really need any of the mediums? And can I use my own spray bottle or is the one they sell something special? And can I use Jo Sonja's gloss varnish like I usually do or is there a special varnish I have to buy for interactive?

Has anyone done a portrait or anything like flowers or anything with a lot of detail with this paint? Pictures?

Thank You

Lady Carol
10-22-2006, 10:47 AM
This thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352279&highlight=interactive+atelier)covers much of the basic use of Interactives by forum members. You should also do a search on Atelier Interactives (top of the page) and see what else you can find. A few people use them, but not many.

gnu
10-22-2006, 04:32 PM
I am using interactives, haven't really experimented much, but I plan making them my main acrylics. (this means I will have the benefit of using them both like inks, and like the goache properties if I want to)I will still mostly use them like a regular acrylic, but I have to add the binder medium...because I use a knife and like to keep my layers separate, the binder medium makes them just like normal acrylics. It's cost effective for me to do this, because I only need a drop or 2 and it's a big bottle plus they are cheaper than the normal atelier which is being phased out.... Second the spray bottle is excellent, and It's better than what I had. Very fine mist..lovely. but of course you can use your own.
The only thing I'm disappointed about is the white they have added to the yellow...it's doesn't make too much difference, but I like pure transparent when I want it.

Serenity
10-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi Spiggle,

Gill has pretty much answered your questions so I'll just add that, I too, use Interactive and thoroughly enjoy their versatility. As yet, I haven't used any of the mediums....just water......with no probs. I do have the Binder Medium but, as yet, haven't found the need for it as I work in thin layers and I also prepare my canvas with extra layers of gesso. I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to use the Jo Sonja Gloss varnish as they are both acrylic, plus made by the same company. Atelier do produce an excellent Gloss Medium and Varnish which gives good results.

Here is a pic of a Bird Of Paradise flower I painted using only Interactive paints.....it was difficult to photograph clearly because I used a textured background but it gives you an idea. I pretty much use Interactive the same way I do regular acrylics though they have the bonus of extra drying time. Great texture and dry to a nice low sheen also.

spiggle
10-24-2006, 07:50 AM
Really nice painting! Thank You for posting it. I think these things are just what I need. I am sure that at some point, once they become popular, the prices will be lower and you can get some on sales and stuff too so I'll just heave a big sigh and fork over the cash for what colors I need.

What about room temp? It is FREAKING COLD here and my old house isn't exactly the most energy efficient so it can get cold inside too. Would this affect the paint any? I have a shelf with a desk lamp to keep my oil painting warm or at some reasonable temp because I heard that it was not good to get oils cold.

Cool stuff.

a. ladd
10-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Interactive paints are not really much more costly than other quality brands, considering you are getting approx. 33% more in the 80ml tubes than in the standard 60ml tubes.

Serenity
10-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Excellent point.......I like the bigger tubes and it doesn't work out any more costly compared to other quality brands.

Thanks, spiggle......what brand of acrylic have you be using to date? I would suggest you get some frequently used colours to try them first. Remember, once you mix any regular acrylic with Interactive, the Interactive will lose its longer blending properties. You can use it just as you would any other acrylic.......just experiment a little with the extra blending time. You can use a hairdryer to assist in drying if you need to go quickly to other layers but be sure to hold it at least a foot or further from the surface. There is really so much you can do to get it to work for you. You might want to consider getting their spray bottle too as I found its spray is a lovely, soft mist unlike others I've tried.

As for cold, hmmmmmmmmmm.........I don't see that it would be a problem.

objectivistartist
10-24-2006, 05:36 PM
It would seem, then, to me, that the biggest advantage of this variety is for doing the immense skies of large works, for being then able to grade them as one who uses oils would - thus more easily allowing me to achieve those Parrish skies in large works..... then carry on with the other, regular kinds, for the detailing of the fores....

Robert