PDA

View Full Version : Prepare a board support

vertigo340
10-22-2006, 04:39 AM
Hi,
I am exploring with acrylic painting and...
I have some MDF panel board i want to use as a support, i was thinking of preparing this by using household wallboard sealer- its a white acrylic undercoat. I have been looking on this site and i see gesso primer is mentioned as a primer.
Does anyone use this type of board and how do they prep it?
Wondering wether the wallboard sealer would suffice or should i use the gesso primer or even maybe both.?
Cheers craig

Johnnie
10-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Use the sealer with a few coats.. Then use a coat or two of gesso or use the gesso as you paint.

The sealer will really help the board from absorbing the paint and if its acrylic it will be fine.

Check out Jerry Yarnell http://www.yarnellart.com/ . He really explains things well.. Some folks on here Boo Hoo him but he is GREAT for a beginner. Also his books are mostly available in libraries. I suggest you get his beginner tape.. Call them and they will lead you in the right direction.

I have all his books and a lot of his dvd's and tapes..

I have muddled around with watercolour a couple of years but not seriously and had not tried acrylics.. After gettting his tapes I did these two paintings by watching and following along.. As you go you learn what to do.. It is a "method" of learning.. Like having a teacher there with you. Shows how you can do with a little help.. His tapes and dvds are not expensive, nor his books.. I suggest the tapes/dvd's tho over the books..

Wet Canvas is a great place to ask ??'s and get help .. Best web site on the Internet as far as I see it..

Hope all this "stuff" :) gives you some help..

Johnnie

This one hangs in my daughters living room.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2006/21575-Gate.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2006/21575-Mistymorning.jpg
This one is on my wall.
I had added some things to the above painting from when I did it originally and didn't do the ducks that Yarnell had taught.

dreamz
10-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Im not so sure the extra steps of using a sealer is needed under gesso. Ive been pretty throughly convinced that using house paint (acrylic latex) as a primer is not a good idea. MDF is fairly stable and a good coat of gesso on all sides is more than enough

Lady Carol
10-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Im not so sure the extra steps of using a sealer is needed under gesso. Ive been pretty throughly convinced that using house paint (acrylic latex) as a primer is not a good idea. MDF is fairly stable and a good coat of gesso on all sides is more than enough
Agreed. Sealer is not designed for longevity, whereas gesso is. For the sake of a few extra bucks, you wouldn't want something that you treasure start to fall apart because you used house paint as a primer.

Einion
10-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi, have a look at the November 2004 classroom (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227402) in the Information Kiosk. That should give you lots of information for starters.

Einion

vertigo340
10-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the ex info.

samhill
10-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Use the sealer with a few coats.. Then use a coat or two of gesso or use the gesso as you paint.

The sealer will really help the board from absorbing the paint and if its acrylic it will be fine.

Check out Jerry Yarnell http://www.yarnellart.com/ . He really explains things well.. Some folks on here Boo Hoo him but he is GREAT for a beginner. Also his books are mostly available in libraries. I suggest you get his beginner tape.. Call them and they will lead you in the right direction.

I have all his books and a lot of his dvd's and tapes..

I have muddled around with watercolour a couple of years but not seriously and had not tried acrylics.. After gettting his tapes I did these two paintings by watching and following along.. As you go you learn what to do.. It is a "method" of learning.. Like having a teacher there with you. Shows how you can do with a little help.. His tapes and dvds are not expensive, nor his books.. I suggest the tapes/dvd's tho over the books..

Wet Canvas is a great place to ask ??'s and get help .. Best web site on the Internet as far as I see it..

Hope all this "stuff" :) gives you some help..

Johnnie

I had added some things to the above painting from when I did it originally and didn't do the ducks that Yarnell had taught.

RC: Hi Johnie - those are very nice paintings you did....I'm interested in what you have to say about Yarnell. I know little about him and attributed him to being another Bob Ross type, you know, formula painting. Or does he go beyond that? I will have to check him out a bit better.......

Johnnie
10-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi Rockchuck

I think he is great for what he is doing and that is teaching..

Check him out for youself..

Johnnie

2bears
10-22-2006, 06:23 PM
I think Yarnell and Bob Ross are both very good because they have the right attitude and really seem to genuinely want you to know how to paint.

As contrast, I went to my first art lesson, a two day landscape workshop over the past weekend. After the first day I was ready to give it up and the whole second day I wanted to go home at every second of every moment of the day.

The difference, someone to show you how to vs someone who can't believe you did THAT