PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing for Christmas?

Andun
10-22-2006, 01:47 AM
:wave: Hello all!
I am trying to get into the Christmas spirit.You see...it takes about two months for mail to reach Canada from Japan using surface mail.First class is sooooo expensive so I have to get my gifts in the mail pretty soon.
To help me get in the mood I have decided to do a sort of traditional painting in acrylics on 300 weight multi purpose paper.A family out in the woods getting their Christmas tree.
My wife called the horses Ralph and Lauren. Not much done yet.Just a little blocking but it is coming to life.
Please critique as hard as you like.I may be using this as my Christmas card this year.Thanks everyone.
Tony:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2006/84252-VFSH0074.JPG

dreamz
10-22-2006, 03:24 AM
great job on the horses! this is starting out really well, you might try a lite pale blue wash over the distant trees to set them further back and cool them down:thumbsup:

Andun
10-22-2006, 04:21 AM
I don't mean to sound like a beginner Doc but....that's what I am.How do I do a wash?
Tony

Lady Carol
10-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Plenty of diluted colour on the brush, Tony, will make a wash.

This will make a great Christmas card.

TxAggieDarlin
10-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Yep, this is going to be sooo pretty

dreamz
10-22-2006, 03:34 PM
like Carol said.. a very watery paint, mix up the color you want, move a small amount to a different area of the pallete, then thin with water ( I test on newsprint to see how see through it is) apply multipul coats to get the results wanted. this also works great for shadows

Andun
10-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Mornin' Txaggie:wave: Thanks for the information Lady Carol and Doc:thumbsup: I'll will practice that technique as you say on some newspaper.
Last night I got a bit more done though.How is it coming along.Any more helpful ideas please?:heart: :music:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2006/84252-VFSH0076.JPG

Andun
10-26-2006, 06:48 AM
HI again everyone:wave: Been a while since I have had some time to work on my sleigh and horses. Here is what I have so far.Have a cooled the background trees enough.First time washing:lol: Also I will put here the original photo reference from the neighbors farm in Annapolis Royal Nova Scotia a few winters ago.
Tony:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2006/84252-sleigh1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2006/84252-VFSH0078.JPG Comments,ideas,insults,anything ok.

tubbekans
10-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Looking real good Anthony!

valchina612
10-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Looking great Anthony -- it will make a great Christmas Card. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Andun
10-28-2006, 08:54 PM
A very good morning to you Paul and Val:wave: :angel: and thank you both for taking the time to see my Christmas painting.I am arranging now for them to be printed in time for Card sending time.:lol: Do you have any advice for improvements before they go to the printers???:heart:

tubbekans
10-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Hi Anthony,
It looks good as is, but if you wanted you could try pushing the darks a little more. For instance, there is a shadow on the top inner side of the left rear leg of the white horse. That could be made a little darker. Generally looking at the shadows and comparing them to the brighter areas of the photo might help. Maybe a light glaze of extra color would do the trick in those areas. It looks just fine as it is though.

Andun
10-29-2006, 03:01 AM
Hi Paul,
Please call me Tony.I see what you mean.That is very good advice! Thank you.I'll do that right now.
Tony

Andun
10-30-2006, 09:15 PM
:wave: Hello again,
I have heeded Paul's advice and looked more carefully at my shadows and particularly the rear leg of the fore horse.:thumbsup: :lol: Thank you for the objective eye!
Here is the version I will send to the card printers in plenty of time for the Christmas cards to be made.
Tony:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2006/84252-VFSH0079.JPG

tubbekans
10-31-2006, 01:16 AM
It's going to make a lovely Christmas card Tony! This does looks crisper which is nice. You have done really well with this painting! :wave:

Andun
10-31-2006, 01:26 AM
I couldn't have done it without your help Paul! Thanks very much.
Tony

Rulizabeth
10-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Hi there. Nice painting! I am also trying to get in the Christmas spirit, as I also live in Japan (Hokkaido). Hello Christmas cake. Maybe I should paint one of those...

tubbekans
10-31-2006, 09:28 AM
No, no, you did great on this painting all by yourself Tony! :clap: It seems to be a fairly common thing for values to not be shown in a broad enough range. I know I've done that plenty of times. I think it has to do with the way our eyes adjust to light when looking at anything. After a few minutes they adjust to where you see well in dark light or brighter light. I think the same thing happens to our eyes when we look at a painting, and we begin to see it differently after we have worked on it for a while. We kind of auto adjust our seeing of the painting without being aware of it. I try to think of turning up the contrast in a photo editing program as a way of comparison. Small changes in my Adobe Photoshop program make a big difference in how my photos look. Anyway, that's just a way of thinking about it, lots of people have other ways of thinking about things. Some even say to just look at the subject and paint what you see. That's the tricky part though, as there are lots of little changes our mind can play with our seeing of things plus our eyes themselves physically change how we see values. And paintings can look good in a limited range of values anyhow, to set a mood for instance of night or a romantic scene. Your painting has a romantic lighting quality about it that is great for a Christmas card. :thumbsup: Ok, I am finally hitting the stop rambling button now. :o

Andun
10-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi Ruthelizabeth,
Welcome to WC!!! Thanks for dropping by.I shall be in Sendai from tomorrow for a few days looking at the leaves change color.Maybe it is getting cold there compared to Shizuoka where I live.23c today and sunny.
Hi Paul,
You are so right.I have such a problem with values.I just don't seem to make full use of them! This piece is fine for a Christmas card but as a work of stand alone art it lacks depth,color and reality.I need some new paints.Thanks again for your help Paul.I truly appreciate it!!!!!
Tony