PDA

View Full Version : Biennial Convention

vrashton
10-21-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm thinking of going to the convention next May (I know it's a long way away but I'm excited) I had hoped to go last year but couldn't make it. Has anyone gone before & what do your non-painting spouses do? Is there activities for them?
Val

PeggyB
10-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Val

I've been to all of the conventions, and there's no way to correctly describe just how much fun, and how many educational opportunities abound while there. Not to mention the vendors' fair!!! I've quite literally made dozens of friends through IAPS, and many of them are also right here on WC! If I start naming them I'll probably leave someone out unintentionally, but here's a few you may recognize and in all probability will be there: Deborah Christensen - one of our esteemed guides, Kitty Wallis & Terry Ludwig - two of our sponsors, Donna Aldridge - "the" Art Spectrum demonstrator, Dianna Ponting - last year's catalogue cover winner - plus many many more who's names your read about but probably never dreamed of seeing in person and perhaps meeting as well.

Unfortunately, nonpainting spouses are left to their own device. If they want to participate in watching demos, etc they are welcome, but must pay their own fee to do so. Those who enjoy golf can do so on the Albuquerque golf links. Others enjoy hiking or otherwise site seeing in the area - there's plenty to see! Somehow, several husbands usually get "volunteered" to help out with registration and other "work" assistance, but that's not for everyone.

Hope to meet you there.

Peggy

vrashton
10-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Actually, my husband likes to talk to people so he might like to volunteer. It sounds like a lot of fun, can't wait to go.
Val

PeggyB
10-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Actually, my husband likes to talk to people so he might like to volunteer. It sounds like a lot of fun, can't wait to go.
Val

Then tell Susan Webster, executive director of IAPS about this when you register, and I'm sure she'll find something for him to do. :) You can also contact her directly via email through the IAPS webiste to ask if there's anything for him to volunteer to do.
Peggy

Donna A
10-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi Val

I've been to all of the conventions, and there's no way to correctly describe just how much fun, and how many educational opportunities abound while there. Not to mention the vendors' fair!!! I've quite literally made dozens of friends through IAPS, and many of them are also right here on WC! If I start naming them I'll probably leave someone out unintentionally, but here's a few you may recognize and in all probability will be there: Deborah Christensen - one of our esteemed guides, Kitty Wallis & Terry Ludwig - two of our sponsors, Donna Aldridge - "the" Art Spectrum demonstrator, Dianna Ponting - last year's catalogue cover winner - plus many many more who's names your read about but probably never dreamed of seeing in person and perhaps meeting as well.

Unfortunately, nonpainting spouses are left to their own device. If they want to participate in watching demos, etc they are welcome, but must pay their own fee to do so. Those who enjoy golf can do so on the Albuquerque golf links. Others enjoy hiking or otherwise site seeing in the area - there's plenty to see! Somehow, several husbands usually get "volunteered" to help out with registration and other "work" assistance, but that's not for everyone.

Hope to meet you there.

Peggy

In response to Peggy's comments: YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! , etc.

Oh, definately come!!!! It IS a ball! So many lovely people!!! Lovely workshops and demos! Juicy, juicy pastel materials that you may not have an opportunity to see any-anywhere else!!!! And so many lovely people!!!! And----soooooo little time, it will seem eventualy! And you will hardly be able to wait for the next one!!!

AND---you get to meet Peggy! She is an amazing force and someone you will find utterly delightful to visit with. (OK---you may get just one little tad envious of her marvelous energy and enthusiasm----but the fun absolutely overrides that!!!!) :-) (Really!)

One of the hubbies from our MidAmerica Pastel Society HQ'd here in Kansas City has been a wonderful support for the conventions for several years! In fact, so dedicated that he received an award at one of the great banquet dinners for his great service. Some husbands have just "endured" days on the golf course or such. Poor babies! :-) Tought guys!!! And "civilian" wives come along, as well.

And of course, a lot of the married folks come on their own and just have a great time (and their spouses probably do, too for those few days!) :-) But it's a great mix of artists and appreciators. And everyone just seems soooo happy and friendly and joyful to meet each other and network, etc!!!

And Albuquerque is cool!!! Though we usually have sooo much fun at the convention we don't even know there is another world out there! There are motels around that are less expensive, but if you are one of those folks who "party" (well, even mellowly) until you drop, it's really nice to stay at the convention hotel and just take the elevator to your room when you are too sleepy to gab and giggle any more!!!!

So come!!! You'll smile! And your husband will have so many delightful people to visit with, as well! Just amazing wonderful people from all over the USA, Canada and other parts of the world. Friends (past prez of the Pastel Artists of South Australia and wife) already told me that one of their friends are coming from Austraila! It is amazing how many people manage to get here from far away. Japan, as well. England and can't remember the other countries right now.

Can you tell I'm already looking forward to the convention??? Most of us start looking forward to it around the end of the last one. Peggy probably won't argue with me! :-)

And if you come, I'd love to meet you! So fun to meet fellow artists from WC!!!! Best wishes!!!! Maybe see you in Albuquerque next May??? Donna ;-}

PeggyB
10-27-2006, 10:23 PM
In response to Peggy's comments: YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! , etc.

AND---you get to meet Peggy! She is an amazing force and someone you will find utterly delightful to visit with. (OK---you may get just one little tad envious of her marvelous energy and enthusiasm----but the fun absolutely overrides that!!!!) :-) (Really!)
Donna ;-}

Oh golly gee Opie, no one can live up to this introduction! :lol: and ya suppose it really is that fun? YUP!:clap:

Donna, you and Deborah and I just might have to "host" a WC get together. One of the things that is supposed to be factored in to the timing of everything is more time for organizations to host get togethers. Since this is Deborah's home city she'll have lots to tell us about what is going on in A-bu- quirk - eee.

Peggy

Donna A
10-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Oh golly gee Opie, no one can live up to this introduction! :lol: and ya suppose it really is that fun? YUP!:clap:

Oh, absolutely!!! I dun got to learn from experience! :-)

Donna, you and Deborah and I just might have to "host" a WC get together. One of the things that is supposed to be factored in to the timing of everything is more time for organizations to host get togethers. Since this is Deborah's home city she'll have lots to tell us about what is going on in A-bu- quirk - eee.

Peggy

[QUOTE]Ohhhhh, LET'S!!!! (see---I told ya she was fun!)

A-bu- quirk - eee ---- LOL!!! I remember when I first learned to spell Albuquerque---back when I designed the first or second IAPS pin. Has come in soooo handy since! :-) And last year I got to learn for sure how to spell Raliegh, NC!!!! So---Albuq spelling is going to come in handy again for 2007! Think this will be #7. Is that right, Peggy??? I remember that last year I used 6 stars ( I think) on the pin in Raliegh, 2 years before should have been 5 in Albuq, I KNOW it was 4 roof post "ends" on the adobe-colored wall for Santa Fe (with the turquoise band at the bottom since Santa Fe is on the Turquoise Trail.) So----hmmmm. Next year??? Anyway, it has been sooo fun to design the pins.

BUT----who all wants to come to a fun gathering with the Wet Canvas artists at the IAPS convention next May???? Peg and Deb----maybe we could begin a thread for a WC gathering at IAPS. Whattaya think! Party on! :-) Sounds fun to me!!! :-) Donna ;-}

Dot Hoffman
10-28-2006, 12:26 PM
What a dilemma. My husband I just signed up for an Elderhostel the end of April in New York State, and I don't think we can afford two trips so close together. Darn, darn, darn!!! And I love Albuquerque!

PeggyB
10-28-2006, 06:12 PM
[.... So---Albuq spelling is going to come in handy again for 2007! Think this will be #7. Is that right, Peggy??? I remember that last year I used 6 stars ( I think) on the pin in Raliegh, 2 years before should have been 5 in Albuq, I KNOW it was 4 roof post "ends" on the adobe-colored wall for Santa Fe (with the turquoise band at the bottom since Santa Fe is on the Turquoise Trail.) So----hmmmm. Next year??? Anyway, it has been sooo fun to design the pins.

BUT----who all wants to come to a fun gathering with the Wet Canvas artists at the IAPS convention next May???? Peg and Deb----maybe we could begin a thread for a WC gathering at IAPS. Whattaya think! Party on! :-) Sounds fun to me!!! :-) Donna ;-}

Yes Donna, this is #7 - hard to believe. I have every single one of those beautiful commerative pins you have designed. Sure wish there could be a couple "retro" pins for the first two conventions that didn't have them yet, but I guess that would be a bit difficult getting one to every person who attended those two. So those of you who will be attending for the first time know what we are talking about - Donna designs a commerative pin that IAPS has made, and each paid attendee gets one in their convention packet. This is a rather poor image, but here's what the first 4 look like. They are beautiful enamel and gold metal starting with the first one on top left in '99, then '01, and on bottom left '03 and last but not least is the one for Raleigh in '05 which unfortunately the gold stars and lettering don't show on the top and bottom of the pin in this scan. I can hardly wait to see what she comes up with this time (my favorite so far is '01).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2006/68149-IAPS_Pins.jpg

Donna we may have to warn people that our version of "party on" can be rather tame compared to some people:lol: . We both tend to fall asleep around 9 PM...

Peggy
PS these pins are attached to the name badge I got at the last convention.

Donna A
10-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Yes Donna, this is #7 - hard to believe. I have every single one of those beautiful commerative pins you have designed. Sure wish there could be a couple "retro" pins for the first two conventions that didn't have them yet, but I guess that would be a bit difficult getting one to every person who attended those two.

Hi, Peggy! Ok--so #7! Yes, that is hard to believe. I had not even known about the first two (and was not sure till your response how many there had been before my first convention. I was still terribly ill for the first two, and the horrid part is that the second one was here in KC---and much of it an entire 6 or 7 minutes away from me. Argh! But won't miss any more! Just too wonderful an event!

So those of you who will be attending for the first time know what we are talking about - Donna designs a commerative pin that IAPS has made, and each paid attendee gets one in their convention packet. This is a rather poor image, but here's what the first 4 look like. They are beautiful enamel and gold metal starting with the first one on top left in '99, then '01, and on bottom left '03 and last but not least is the one for Raleigh in '05 which unfortunately the gold stars and lettering don't show on the top and bottom of the pin in this scan. I can hardly wait to see what she comes up with this time (my favorite so far is '01).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2006/68149-IAPS_Pins.jpg

Thank you. That's my favorite, too! And then the '03. Both have strong color links to the heritage and area. But then the red (gold...) and blue has its color heritage, too.

Donna we may have to warn people that our version of "party on" can be rather tame compared to some people:lol: . We both tend to fall asleep around 9 PM...

Yes! But, hey!!! I like to think of any time whenfun folks are together as a party! :-) We all can manage that on about any time schedule! :-) Take good care, all! Donna ;-}

Peggy
PS these pins are attached to the name badge I got at the last convention.

Deborah Secor
10-28-2006, 08:37 PM
There is a lot to do around here...Golfing, hiking--lots of beautiful trails-- Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, Petroglyph Park, hang gliding (not for beginners!), the new Balloon Museum, a great little Zoo, Botanic Garden and Aquarium, lots of shops in Old Town, ABQ Uptown (beautiful new shopping area), a ride up the Tramway, Rio Grande Nature Center, and museums of all kinds: Rattlesnake, Atomic, Biblical Archaeology, Explora Science Center, etc. etc.

We need to plan to meet somewhere sometime at the convention. How about Terry Ludwig's booth--a place we're all sure to hit!--lunchtime on Saturday, or some such. Well, there's time to talk.

Deborah

Kathryn Day
10-28-2006, 08:39 PM
I plan on coming to the convention and my daughter is going to meet me there. She will be coming from Montana. We both work in pastels. My husband is going, but just to rest and relax at the hotel. Already signed up for some workshops, mostly demos, but would love to get together with the WC folks. I already know Deborah and would love to meet you both, Peggy and Donna and anyone else from WC who gets to come.

Shari
10-29-2006, 12:08 AM
I'm in, got my plane e-ticket, got my hotel room. My husband is joining me on Saturday night and we will leave Sunday Afternoon to explore Sedona. I am signed up for two demos a day with only a short break for lunch; I may be late to some of the demos. I definitely want to meet everyone!!!! I will find you on Saturday at Terry's booth unless I hear otherwise. It will be so wonderful to meet everyone that I have been chatting with over the years and yes, can't wait to meet Peggy!!!! You have helped me so much with my paintings and Deb too!!!

vrashton
10-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Are people signing up already? Should I be too? Both my husband & I are looking forward to this. He just likes meeting new people, I of course get excited about anything art related.
Val

PeggyB
10-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Are people signing up already? Should I be too? Both my husband & I are looking forward to this. He just likes meeting new people, I of course get excited about anything art related.
Val

I heard from Susan Webster (executive director and the one who gets all the registrations) just yesterday, and yes, if you want to be assured of seeing the demos and lectures you want most - and especially if you want to take one of the pre-convention workshops - it is a good idea to get registered as soon as possible. I know everyone hates using the ol' credit card or check blank too soon, but there's just no way we know of to do otherwise.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. I just looked at the printed time schedule, and although they wrote that there was extra time for getting together, I really don't see where that might be easily worked in. Most people will be there on Thursday sometime, and there's a buffet dinner that's part of our registration fee that night. I'll be working the registration table (I think that's where Susan will put me :) ) and so am committed to that until 6 pm. From 5 - 6 is the "paint around" that can be interesting to anyone who's never seen it before. Dress is very casual that night so we won't have to rush off to get formally dressed. We can meet at the registration table at 6, go to the welcome reception and buffet together, and generally make a night of it for as long as anyone wants to stay around. Needless to say, I'll have more than one commitment that night, but I can gladly make WC first on my list. :) After that, we can meet as best we can, and here's a couple suggestions: Saturday from 11:30 - 12:00 is open (at Terry's booth as Deborah suggested) and before the banquet that night (other events stop at 5 that day)The banquet reception doesn't start until 6:30 & banquet at 7:30. How fast can everyone get dressed for the banquet? Perhaps we could begin meeting in front of the banquet room door at 5:30 or so and continue to talk during the reception and then even sit together during the banquet - but I suspect there will be more than one table's worth of WCers, and I will probably have to sit elsewhere :( . Some people won't be interested in seeing a portrait demonstration (Friday morning), and on Thursday night if we get together those who don't want to see that can arrange to meet Friday morning - perhaps during breakfast.

Oh darn! Looks as though I'm trying to arrange everyone's schedules just so we can meet one another! Well I'm sorry if that's the way it appears - not my intention at all - just the "administrator" in me. :evil:

When the time gets closer, we can discuss this further.

Peggy

vrashton
10-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Okay, I've printed out the forms & writing the cheque. At least by registering early it makes us commit so that we don't end up missing it like last year.
Val

MarshaSavage
10-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi everyone,
Marsha Savage here -- I will be there!!!!! Another friend (Denise Champion - not a WC'er) here in Atlanta GA area and I are taking 3 days to drive out there and arrive on Wednesday. We will then have a couple of days to do things before the actual convention begins.

Both of our husbands are flying out for the convention and then we will go our separate ways after the convention. My husband and I are renting a vehicle (don't know what kind yet - maybe a van or small RV) and taking 2 weeks to drive where ever we want -- and all the way back to the north of Atlanta. My one request is that we have to go see the Grand Canyon -- I have only seen it from the air! And, most likely Santa Fe! So . . . if any of you know of something extra special, just let me know here.

My husband has been prospecting -- many years ago with another friend (before we married). I think he might like to do something similar again. Know of anything?

The three days is so we can stop where ever we want to and paint! I know we won't have a lot of time -- it will take the 3 days just to get there. But . . . you know how we are -- all of us! Someone yells stop! We say okay!

So, I'll be keeping tabs on this thread - and looking for what is decided as to where and time for meeting other WC'ers!