PDA

View Full Version : Best Brush for detail

billmags
10-21-2006, 08:37 AM
What do you find is the best method for adding detail in acrylics? Brushe type? toothpicks ect?

Lady Carol
10-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Well it depends on how much detail you want to paint and how large the painting is. And also brush preference comes down to largely personal prefence. Anyway a small brush should work for detail. Sorry the answer was so vague.

idylbrush
10-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Depending on the detail desired the brush should follow suite. Don't overlook things other than brushes. the edge of a file card. Cardboard, thread, twine, Q-tips, feathers,fingernails, all can transfer some rather interesting lines and details as desired and needed. Oh, the ever present tooth pick is pretty nifty as well.

dreamz
10-21-2006, 10:55 PM
toothpick, quill pen, razorblade, very tiny brush ( I have a couple that are 1/16" long or less with 3-8 hairs) it really depends on how small the detail or how detailed the detail

dragonshade
10-22-2006, 12:02 AM
#4 sable flat and #4 sable round

Einion
10-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Good-quality Kolinsky rounds, as a rule.

But it depends on the detail type, the scale and other things - the best thing I'm aware of for long uniform lines isn't a brush at all, but a ruling pen.

Einion

pearl_verde
10-22-2006, 02:17 PM
I have found what works best for me is to use a VERY fine drawing nib in a short nib holder. For the acrylic I usually take my color that I intend to use for the detail and mix it with enough glazing medium to become somewhat liquid, I then take an eyedropper and apply the color to the nib making sure to get rid of excess so it doesnt make a blob on my painting and then apply detail that way. If it is a light detail I may use some white to add opacity if desired, a dark detail over a light surface I will either gradually build up the detail to desired opacity in layers or I will add a small touch of 'black' which is mixed from colors not from a tube. Its really the drawing nib that helps, but be CAREFUL if you use this method as the nib can be very sharp and damage your painting! I have a nib that I have heat tempered and dulled at the point just for this purpose.