PDA

View Full Version : Theft! in class

Koi
10-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Apparently, there's a group of theives at my school stealing stuff- mostly art textbooks and loose materials, but a couple of students have even had some completed works stolen.

Thankfully, I haven't had anything stolen, ...... yet. But it troubles me that it's clearly a fellow art student or students doing this. A classmate had her book stolen while in class, and our campus police told her that it's not worth their time to even look into it. And she needs the book, since she has drawing assignments in it.

Is theft this widespread in college? I am not in a crime ridden college, but when I read their police report before going here, the theft report seemed rather mild, and more reasonable. Well, at least reasonable to me; I can see someone stealing a stray ipod or bike, but someones textbook from class? When the person just went to the bathroom?

I'm going to keep my stuff near me at all times, but it's a pain when you just need a quick bathroom break.

Also, that textbook is expensive- at the school bookstore, it's 90$ with it only being a little cheaper online. And my friend can't afford to get a new copy. She was lucky enough to find one classmate that would let her copy the assignment pages, so she should be okay now. But she did miss one assignment due to the loss of her book. And no, the library doesn't have the textbook. It doesn't have any textbooks at all. :eek: Why? Because according to them, students would either steal the books or wouldn't buy the books from the bookstore. How is a student that is less well off supposed to deal with that? :mad:

Neal Glover
10-20-2006, 08:27 PM
When I was in college the general rule was to write your name in your text book, in several places, and to put a visible and unique identifying mark on the outer cover.

If a fellow student in the class stole the book for their use, then you could identify it by the mark at a later date. You could also immediately notify the campus book store and tell them the pages where your name would be found and they would watch for it come book buyback time.

The other option these days would be to watch half.com, ebay, etc. for someone local selling the book... especially if the thief put up a picture showing the book and your mark.

Slim chance of recovery though... your friend should just consider this a lesson not to forget. Keep your valuables in sight at all times.

Lady Rando
10-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Unless the laws have changed theft of any item worth $50.00 or more is a felony. I would forget about the campus police and report these crimes to your local police.

Koi
10-20-2006, 10:40 PM
I'll her that, but I don't think she has any hope of getting it back. Neal, this is probably another topic, but a lot of people at my school don't want to (or can't ) mark their books in any way because they need to try and sell it back to the bookstore. I'll probably mark my art texts because I do want to keep them.

There is an off campus textbook store, and I did tell her to search there, but I haven't heard back from her.

beautifulfreak
10-22-2006, 02:13 AM
At the last 2 colleges I attended theft of books happened frequently. Its not that the students stealing them wanted to use them but wanted to sell them back at the end of the semester for cash. Both schools had a program you could sign up with that would register your books to you with an identifying number stamped in various non removable places within the book if anyone was caught selling back your book that wasn't you they'd have some uncomfortable questions to answer and police involvement. One school the program was free and the other it was like $5 a semester(to cover paperwork they said).

Axl
10-22-2006, 02:21 PM
That is so aweful :( Like its not hard enough being a student, and then you get to deal with this too :(

Our school use to caution us about leaving things around. We had to always lock the classrooms, and all our supplies were usually locked in our own cubbords because I guess they had similar problems with other students stealing the supplies :( And I've heard lots of stories from students past and present, having their work stolen. Some even claimed the teachers stole it! Not a good situation any way you cut it.

I feel very fortunate not to ever have anything stolen while I was in school! But I agree, carying around everything with you while you just need to go pee is a PITA :( I found it easier in situations like that to always sit with atleast a few folks I knew, and have them keep an eye on things. But then again, how do you know they wouldn't take stuff too :( It sucks.

The book registration thing sounds like a really good idea! Sounds like something so simple that all schools could do!

deahna
10-31-2006, 01:29 AM
I remember reading this thread last week sometime, and thinking how awful it was that your friend had her book stolen. Then today, I go to the printmaking lab to finish up my prints for the critique tomorrow, and my prints were gone! I couldn't believe it.

I sent my professor an email just a moment ago, but I have no idea if he will be lenient as far as deadlines, seeing as he did warn us to write our names on all our prints. I never keep my very expensive extra printing paper in the classroom as a precaution, but I didn't think anyone would ever steal work that had already been done!

It's very frustrating...

Koi
10-31-2006, 01:42 PM
:( I'm so sorry to hear that Deahna. Is there any hope that your prints were just misplaced or put away somewhere? I hope your professor understands, since havinging your name on something isn't going to stop a theif. :mad:

osidianrose
11-25-2006, 02:40 PM
It's common in art school. Artists are theives! At my university, the art building has lockers for free. We lock our **** up. The painting rooms has a room to store paintings that only painting students know the combination. I don't understand why somebody would steal somebody work. I have taken things at the end of the semester or things left on the floor, because if I don't the professors will keep them or throw them away. People should just guard their possessions like it is their mom in a fight.

Deb McLaren
12-04-2006, 03:16 PM
I suggest you put your name, in black marker, on the PAGES, like on the outside edges? I'm not sure I can explain this so it's clear, but when I get a book I want to keep, I hold it and write my name on all three sides of the books pages when the book is closed, so when the book is lying on the table, closed, your name is clearly visible. It's probably too much trouble to steal a book so overly identified. $90 to an art student is a fortune, and not exactly pocket change to the rest of us.

stlukesguild
12-28-2006, 08:28 PM
I attended a private art school and never heard of any theft in books (although undoubtedly it did happen). There was an instance of theft of painting supplies and I found the attitude of some almost encouraged this as the victim was a rather well-off divorcee who could "afford" such a loss... or so went the thought:eek:. We did, however, have a great deal of problems with the theft of finished or near finished paintings from the "foundation" departments. The school was comprised of two buildings, the first housing all the "foundation" departments (foundation painting/drawing/design/art history) which were taken by all students, as well as certain "majors": print, enamels, fiber, industrial design, etc... The other larger building housed the studios reserved for students from 3rd year on who were in painting, ceramics, sculpture and other "majors". Anyway... paintings started disappearing all the time from the foundation department... especially the better ones. Several students, myself included, would chain and lock our paintings to the racks. It was discovered after a while that there were literally 100s of paintings from our students decorating the dorms of the neighboring (very expensive) liberal arts college. In one interesting case a single student's work kept being taken and then returned a week later. It was finally found out that a student from the art department at the state university across town was using them for his own projects. Amazingly he had the foresight to continually take the work of the same student so that there would be a continuity to his work.:lol:

Alex Sunder
01-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Well, here is what i do:
All my art books have my name on page 13. This is cool, cause if someone stole your book and you find that out, hardly the thief will see that theres a name on page 13, so, he will never erase that.

Also, i do use a backpack all the time, with my books inside, together with my art material. Doesnt matter WHERE i go, the backpack is with me.

I do know that when we are just teenagers we dont want to use backpacks while all the school dont use it. Well, i dont care, i just use the damn thing, after all, my personal objetcts are expensive and i do care more about that then from other peoples opinions.

Koi
01-30-2007, 10:44 AM
That's what I do. My big college splurge (depending on how you look at it) was a rolling backpack. It's like a second hand, and is always with me. I do have a problem with it sometimes- classrooms can be small in my college, and there just isn't room for backpacks in class.
It does seem like it's mostly older students who use the rolling backbacks. The young kids just seem to carry exactly 1 notebook and some pens. I don't know how they do that- 1 of my teachers always wants us to bring the textbook into class. Not to mention the fact that I bring my lunch. My school's cafeteria is more of a pizza and burger place.

Alex Sunder
01-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Yummmmmm... burguer... pizza....

Koi... when i was a teenager i was always worried about being accepted, or worried about clothes and what people is wearing. Thats really nonsense. If you HAVE to carry a lot of books, notebook and art material, well get a backpack than, or anything else that FITS your student materials. After all, you are there to LEARN and to make all the money you pay worth something.

If i could had the sense i have now back at that time, i would be a better artist today.

Kids, dont forget to bring ALL the material! Thats essencial!